Language Police to Force Children to Speak French During Recess

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2011, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: dps on December 01, 2011, 02:33:08 PM
But if someone drew Nazi (or communist, or phallic) symbols in the schoolbooks, they didn't get in any more trouble than they did for drawing stickfigures, or pictures of automobiles.  But we got in trouble for defacing public property, not for the content of what we drew.

Well time's have changed. I remember it being a very, very big deal in middle school when a kid drew a Nazi symbol on a desk.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Heh, I had a friend who was quite a good artist and in HS he decorated his desk with intricate pen-and-ink drawings using the technical drafting pens we all favoured at the time - it was so well done the teacher could not bring herself to have it erased (it was really very good - sort of a Heronymus Bosch landscape). He worked on it for months, didn't affect his concentration in class any - he still answered every question.

But one day the regular teacher was sick, and a sub came in - and first thing she did was Ajax over it. It was heartbreaking.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 01, 2011, 03:36:57 PM
Quote from: dps on December 01, 2011, 02:33:08 PM
But if someone drew Nazi (or communist, or phallic) symbols in the schoolbooks, they didn't get in any more trouble than they did for drawing stickfigures, or pictures of automobiles.  But we got in trouble for defacing public property, not for the content of what we drew.

Well time's have changed. I remember it being a very, very big deal in middle school when a kid drew a Nazi symbol on a desk.

I remember kids getting in trouble for drawing an Anarchy sign on their notebooks.  The teachers claimed it was a gang sign.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on December 01, 2011, 03:42:57 PM
But one day the regular teacher was sick, and a sub came in - and first thing she did was Ajax over it. It was heartbreaking.

Good. Change must be resisted and protests need clear programs and agendas.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on December 01, 2011, 03:42:57 PM
Heh, I had a friend who was quite a good artist and in HS he decorated his desk with intricate pen-and-ink drawings using the technical drafting pens we all favoured at the time - it was so well done the teacher could not bring herself to have it erased (it was really very good - sort of a Heronymus Bosch landscape). He worked on it for months, didn't affect his concentration in class any - he still answered every question.

No, it isn't.  If he wanted it to be preserved, he maybe should have, I don't know, DONE IT ON HIS OWN PROPERTY.

Or at least not state property, the highest form of property. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2011, 05:24:40 PM
Isn't state property a pretty low form of property, since they allow scumbags with tents to live on it?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

I used to draw swastikas in my notebooks all the time when I was in school.  I also liked to draw peace symbols, the Van Halen logo, the yin-yang symbol, and other stuff like that.  I just liked symbols in general.  I still like the way the swastika looks and wish it wasn't so closely related to Nazism now. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Just say it's Hindu.  Swastikas are all over the place (people even use it as a name).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on December 01, 2011, 08:04:44 PM
I used to draw swastikas in my notebooks all the time when I was in school.  I also liked to draw peace symbols, the Van Halen logo, the yin-yang symbol, and other stuff like that.  I just liked symbols in general.  I still like the way the swastika looks and wish it wasn't so closely related to Nazism now. :(

The bad guys took all the good symbols.  The Soviets and the Nazis had much cooler flags then we do.  The Swastika and the hammer and sickle are simple and aesthetically pleasing.  The Stars and Stripes are too "busy".  I dislike tricolors, but I give the French a pass on that.  I know they weren't the first, but theirs is the best.

Caliga

The hammer and sickle has never had much appeal for me.  The anarchy symbol is cooler.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2011, 08:07:10 PM
Just say it's Hindu.  Swastikas are all over the place (people even use it as a name).

Because of it's prominence in India is why the Nazis chose it.  Or to more accurate why it was considered an "Aryan" symbol in the early 20th century.

The King in Yellow has a cool symbol:  The Yellow Sign.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on December 01, 2011, 08:00:11 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2011, 05:24:40 PM
Isn't state property a pretty low form of property, since they allow scumbags with tents to live on it?

Not really. That's why OWS had to find a park with a loophole in NYC because the city gov was free to kick them out of city parks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

instead of starting a new language thread i thought i'd bump this one. a report by some think tank is out. Seems that Ontario spends 7.5 time as much per per person to accomadate its minority speakers then Quebec does. Ontario spends $52 per person and Quebec $7. That's per citizen, not per minority speaker. For compairson Ontario has 489,000 francophones to Quebecs 575,000 anglo's.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

How the hell do they spend 52$/person, by closing schools?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.