Language Police to Force Children to Speak French During Recess

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2011, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2011, 11:24:35 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2011, 11:21:37 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2011, 11:14:31 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 29, 2011, 03:24:01 PM
With the discussion, or with Oex maybe leaving, or with French Canadian teachers hitting students in the back if they are heard speaking something other than French during their free time?
had England lots the 1812 war, maybe Quebec would have become some Texas of the North.  But since it's not the case, there's no hitting students here.

WTF???
There's no corporal beatings in Quebec, unlike Texas and other southern US states.
Had Canada been conquered in 1812, history would certainly have evolved in a different way, I tought that was a given.

Your first sentence didn't make any sense though.  This at least makes sense in that it expresses an idea in an understandable fashion.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2011, 11:24:35 AM
There's no corporal beatings in Quebec, unlike Texas and other southern US states.
Had Canada been conquered in 1812, history would certainly have evolved in a different way, I tought that was a given.

I have been over this before.  It is because of our decentralized government structure that is a result of our Wild Wild West frontier past.  Doing something like have a state policy on something like corporal punishment is really difficult.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2011, 11:27:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2011, 11:13:35 AM
I think CC's comment still stands. Not sure why you quoted it if you weren't actually going to address what he said.
I'm not equating anything, I'm not arguing speaking english is the same as drawing nazi symbols.  I'm just saying freedom of speech in the civil society is not the same as it is in school.

Ask Grumbler if you don't believe me, he's a teacher.  What happens to a student insulting a teacher?  What happens if a neighbor insults Grumbler?  Two different things.

I have the right to write nazi symbols at home, I don't have that right in school.  Two different things.

But you are equating those things when you say that speaking in another language should be dealt with in the same manner...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2011, 11:21:10 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2011, 11:19:38 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2011, 11:14:31 AM
had England lots the 1812 war, maybe Quebec would have become some Texas of the North.  But since it's not the case, there's no hitting students here.

England?  Did the rest of Great Britain take the war off?
It's all the same to me.

Hmm...:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Viper, the point you are missing is your argument is that children can be told by the State what language to speak in private conversations simply because a majority of people in the Province of Quebec think that is appropriate.  That is a classic case of tyranny of the majority.

I am sure you would see things differently if the Federal Parliament amended the Official Languages Act to make education in English mandatory and french kids were required by their english schools to speak english at all times.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on November 30, 2011, 09:37:52 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 29, 2011, 09:38:39 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on November 29, 2011, 08:49:05 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2011, 02:43:56 PM
You always say this after you've had an argument with Malthus et al about French vs English.

It probably owes more to the fact that Languish gets on my nerve in recurring cycles, and that Canadian politics are now perhaps the only threads I participate in. Plus I am currently overworked and tired. Though I still think that Malthus - whom I appreciate - takes an awfully smug tone in these usual debates.  :P  Add to the fact that I more and more subscribe to what Mihali wrote a few days ago; and I still mean what I said when I thought that Languish was reactionary. I'd explain at more length if I wasn't so tired, and if I knew that my words wouldn't be needlessly twisted; that might have make for an interesting discussion.

Well, I'm not reactionary.  You splitter.

And Mal, for all his fine points, and he has many, of course (he's one of my favorite people here) can be smug about anything.

Also he never gave me any feedback on whether I was interpreting the PMPRB guidelines correctly. <_<

I am amused how an argument in which I pointed out that Oex had incorrectly ascribed to an article a title that it did not have, and did not see content that it did have, is now "about" me being smug.

Are we such delicate flowers now, that we cannot stand being proven wrong but must melt into some sort of mutual congratulation society? Languish is all about hard arguments. If arguing hard is the sign of a smug asshole, then I'm happy to be one.

Okay, Malthus, I apologize.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2011, 01:17:47 PM
Okay, Malthus, I apologize.

If I was to seek an apology, I'd be doing the very thing I criticize. Damn you, Ide!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

The Minsky Moment

I take Oexmelin's recent statements about board personalities as a personal affront.  I wish to point out that I am the board's official smug reactionary.  Neither Malthus nor Berkut can possibly match my insouciant complacency, much less the pointless extravagance of my wine cellar.  I doubt either has even sipped a acceptable brandy in the past year.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2011, 12:08:36 PM
But you are equating those things when you say that speaking in another language should be dealt with in the same manner...
No I am not saying that all.  I am saying there are differences in free speech in the civil society and in school, and I provided some examples of that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2011, 12:18:03 PM
Viper, the point you are missing is your argument is that children can be told by the State what language to speak in private conversations simply because a majority of people in the Province of Quebec think that is appropriate.  That is a classic case of tyranny of the majority.
they are not told by the State.  And they are told all the time at school what language they should speak in private conversations.  Just as in court you have a code to respect, as I don't think judges allow you to call a witness "that motherfucker".
The only thing here is the National Post, and the usual Canadians making a fuss about a silly school board rule "OMG they're racists nazis1111".

I am sure you would see things differently if the Federal Parliament amended the Official Languages Act to make education in English mandatory and french kids were required by their english schools to speak english at all times.
For decades, French schools were subject to the authority of English Only Schoolboards in Ontario, Manitoba and New Brunswick.  Never heard any anglos make a fuss about it.  When Sault-Ste-Marie declared itself unilingual, Ontarians hapily burnt the Quebec flag.  I can't remember the Globe&Mail condemning the gesture, the flag burning or the unilingual cities.

But hey, a schoolboard enacting a policy approved by parents, this is a serious crime.

It becomes coercicion by the mighty State.  Jesus Christ, if they're so oppressed, they can attend private school, move a few streets to the west or move to one of the other 9 provinces.  So far, only one Canadian lawyer living in Quebec is outraged at this and actively seeking clients after the National Post called him.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.