Language Police to Force Children to Speak French During Recess

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2011, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 29, 2011, 10:56:43 PM
Ide, what's with all the posting in French lately?  Francais est la langue des homosexuelles.

Homosexuelles?  So it is the language of Lesbians eh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 29, 2011, 02:12:49 PM
It is most revealing that you think speaking a language different then french is similar to drawing a nazi symbol in their books.  If we are to be serious perhaps you could do better than try to explain away a clear infringement of legitimate expressive rights by a tyranny of the majority argument.
you're arguing freedom of speech in schools.  There's no such things in schools.  I can draw all the nazi symbols I want in my books at home, I could not do that at school.  I can say "fuck you" at anyone I want, but not in school.  Your kid could dress however he wants at home, in the streets, without fear of retribution.  He can't do that in school.

So, I stand by my point, no freedom of speech in schools.  And while I do not know about BC schools, I do know the rules are very similar in Ontario, even if my exchange was very short.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2011, 11:07:26 AM
It is most revealing that you think speaking a language different then french is similar to drawing a nazi symbol in their books.  If we are to be serious perhaps you could do better than try to explain away a clear infringement of legitimate expressive rights by a tyranny of the majority argument.
you're arguing freedom of speech in schools.  There's no such things in schools.  I can draw all the nazi symbols I want in my books at home, I could not do that at school.  I can say "fuck you" at anyone I want, but not in school.  Your kid could dress however he wants at home, in the streets, without fear of retribution.  He can't do that in school.

So, I stand by my point, no freedom of speech in schools.  And while I do not know about BC schools, I do know the rules are very similar in Ontario, even if my exchange was very short.

I wouldn't say "there's no such thing as freedom of speech at schools".  There are limits put on freedom of speech, but it is still a constitutionally protected right, and schools are still governmental institutions.  Any number of rights have been found to exist within a school, including freedom of speech.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2011, 11:07:26 AM

I think CC's comment still stands. Not sure why you quoted it if you weren't actually going to address what he said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on November 29, 2011, 03:24:01 PM
With the discussion, or with Oex maybe leaving, or with French Canadian teachers hitting students in the back if they are heard speaking something other than French during their free time?
had England lots the 1812 war, maybe Quebec would have become some Texas of the North.  But since it's not the case, there's no hitting students here.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on November 29, 2011, 10:56:43 PM
Ide, what's with all the posting in French lately?  Francais est la langue des homosexuelles.
French as a lesbian language?  Could be hot, you know.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2011, 11:14:31 AM
had England lots the 1812 war, maybe Quebec would have become some Texas of the North.  But since it's not the case, there's no hitting students here.

England?  Did the rest of Great Britain take the war off?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 30, 2011, 10:05:29 AM
The point is that the *allegation it is a challenge to rights is not something invented by the RoC*. As the article itself states, it is something that originates in *Quebec*. The controversy is a *within Quebec* controversy. 
The controversy comes from Julius Gray, who isn't Québécois, and by no means would define himself as such, and at most would acknowledge "to live in Quebec".

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2011, 11:19:38 AM

It's all the same to me.

Barrister

With the discussion, or with Oex maybe leaving, or with French Canadian teachers hitting students in the back if they are heard speaking something other than French during their free time?

WTF???
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2011, 11:11:48 AM

I wouldn't say "there's no such thing as freedom of speech at schools".  There are limits put on freedom of speech, but it is still a constitutionally protected right, and schools are still governmental institutions.  Any number of rights have been found to exist within a school, including freedom of speech.
ok, then, let's say "severly limited freedom of speech".  There's no way I could tell a teacher "fuck you mon ostie" back in school without having serious troubles.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2011, 11:21:37 AM

WTF???
There's no corporal beatings in Quebec, unlike Texas and other southern US states.
Had Canada been conquered in 1812, history would certainly have evolved in a different way, I tought that was a given.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2011, 11:13:35 AM
I think CC's comment still stands. Not sure why you quoted it if you weren't actually going to address what he said.
I'm not equating anything, I'm not arguing speaking english is the same as drawing nazi symbols.  I'm just saying freedom of speech in the civil society is not the same as it is in school.

Ask Grumbler if you don't believe me, he's a teacher.  What happens to a student insulting a teacher?  What happens if a neighbor insults Grumbler?  Two different things.

I have the right to write nazi symbols at home, I don't have that right in school.  Two different things.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2011, 11:21:10 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2011, 11:19:38 AM

It's all the same to me.

Heh that does sound like something a Texan would say.