Language Police to Force Children to Speak French During Recess

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2011, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on November 29, 2011, 04:00:27 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 29, 2011, 03:22:54 PMOex is a great guy, and even tempered may even be pretty accurate, but I would not call him moderate.

Who would you call moderate?

Other than me?

I'll have to get back to you on that. :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Teach.  Moderation is generally apathy toward the political process.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2011, 03:59:18 PM
I think this is more controversial because it's Quebec than it would be if it were, say, London.  I've said before that my impression is that the Anglo-Canadian press seem to have a pre-determined template of story about Quebec and they force something like this into it. 

On the other hand part of the issue could be that the assumption you automatically have with Quebec stories is that it's against English.  When, in fact, my impression - from very far away - is that Montreal is one of the great immigrant cities of North America.

That may well be so in general, but this story is hardly an example of it. As stated above, it was a news story in the (French) press in Montreal first, that got picked up in the Anglo press. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Oexmelin

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2011, 02:43:56 PM
You always say this after you've had an argument with Malthus et al about French vs English.

It probably owes more to the fact that Languish gets on my nerve in recurring cycles, and that Canadian politics are now perhaps the only threads I participate in. Plus I am currently overworked and tired. Though I still think that Malthus - whom I appreciate - takes an awfully smug tone in these usual debates.  :P  Add to the fact that I more and more subscribe to what Mihali wrote a few days ago; and I still mean what I said when I thought that Languish was reactionary. I'd explain at more length if I wasn't so tired, and if I knew that my words wouldn't be needlessly twisted; that might have make for an interesting discussion.

@Berkut: you are right. I don't think I am a moderate. But one can express one's conviction with moderate words, I hope :)  But I think Jacob's point - that you hold yourself as a consumate moderate, and therefore judge people by their distance to your own position, holds more than a kernel of truth...  ;)

Anyway, have fun. :)

Que le grand cric me croque !

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zoupa

Quote from: Berkut on November 29, 2011, 03:24:01 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2011, 03:20:55 PM
I can't see any problem with this to be honest :mellow:

With the discussion, or with Oex maybe leaving, or with French Canadian teachers hitting students in the back if they are heard speaking something other than French during their free time?

:lmfao:

Don't ever change, Berky-poo.

Zoupa

Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2011, 03:59:55 PM
The whole thing is purely symbolic - language politics as usual in that province.

Fair and balanced as usual, Malt.  :)

Zoupa

T'en fait pas poulette. J'tiens les rosbifs occupés en attendant que tu reviennes. :frog:

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 29, 2011, 08:49:05 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2011, 02:43:56 PM
You always say this after you've had an argument with Malthus et al about French vs English.

It probably owes more to the fact that Languish gets on my nerve in recurring cycles, and that Canadian politics are now perhaps the only threads I participate in. Plus I am currently overworked and tired. Though I still think that Malthus - whom I appreciate - takes an awfully smug tone in these usual debates.  :P  Add to the fact that I more and more subscribe to what Mihali wrote a few days ago; and I still mean what I said when I thought that Languish was reactionary. I'd explain at more length if I wasn't so tired, and if I knew that my words wouldn't be needlessly twisted; that might have make for an interesting discussion.

Well, I'm not reactionary.  You splitter.

And Mal, for all his fine points, and he has many, of course (he's one of my favorite people here) can be smug about anything.

Also he never gave me any feedback on whether I was interpreting the PMPRB guidelines correctly. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

You know what he said so you can't tell him to speak white :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.