And we're back!

Main Menu

Penn State Goings-On

Started by jimmy olsen, November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasputin

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2011, 04:28:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2011, 04:19:49 PM
In this case it will be very interesting to learn what really happened.  What we do know sure looks like a cover up of epic proportions.

I agree--but I have to think it is a case of an institutional failure where the standard operating procedure was designed to avoid bad publicity in mundane cases rather than an active cover up. I have more faith in humanity than to think that people knowing what was going on covered it up. I could be wrong.

As i know one of the key players, I hope you are right

As I view the known evidence, I believe that you will likely be wrong

Who is John Galt?

Valmy

Quote from: Rasputin on November 09, 2011, 04:23:26 PM
dont get me wrong; i dont think he was happy that sandusky is pediophile

it was however clear that he was thrilled to have the spotlight on penn state and off of miami's problems

Oh it sounds like the details of the issue do not matter to him at all.  He just thinks this scandal is an opportunity for Miami to escape its own crap.  Which is disgusting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Rasputin on November 09, 2011, 03:59:18 PMfurther has anyone considered the university of miami's role in this; i just got off the phone with a member of their board of trustees who is positively gleefully that everyone has forgotten that they even exist -- while it seems like mere coincidence, i sure distrust those fuckers and we ought not forget that they deserve the death penalty

What happened at University of Miami?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on November 09, 2011, 04:37:34 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on November 09, 2011, 03:59:18 PMfurther has anyone considered the university of miami's role in this; i just got off the phone with a member of their board of trustees who is positively gleefully that everyone has forgotten that they even exist -- while it seems like mere coincidence, i sure distrust those fuckers and we ought not forget that they deserve the death penalty

What happened at University of Miami?

Miami has its own scandal going on about payments and perks to athletes which is then dwarfed by this scandal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2011, 03:58:50 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 09, 2011, 03:28:14 PM
Reports now coming out that Penn State's President is about to resign.

Probably a race to see if he resigns before being fired.

Really? As far as I know, he wasn't personally implicated at all - or was he?

Resignation seems almost to indicate that there was a cover-up - and he played a part, and knows it will come out. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Federal government is starting to get involved.

www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/us-department-education-investigate-penn-states-handling-sexual-misconduct-alleg

QuoteU.S. Department of Education to Investigate Penn State's Handling of Sexual Misconduct Allegations
November 9, 2011

Press Office, (202) 401-1576, [email protected]

The U.S. Department of Education will launch an investigation into whether Penn State University failed to comply with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (the Clery Act) in regard to allegations of sex offenses on campus by a former school official. Former Penn State Defensive Coach Jerry Sandusky has been charged with sexually abusing several young boys over several years, including incidents on campus.

Under the Clery Act, colleges and universities are required to disclose the number of criminal offenses on campus that are reported each year. In addition, in certain cases, the institution must issue a timely warning if a reported crime represents a threat to the campus community. The U.S. Department of Education is responsible for Clery Act compliance.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan said, "If these allegations of sexual abuse are true then this is a horrible tragedy for those young boys. If it turns out that some people at the school knew of the abuse and did nothing or covered it up, that makes it even worse. Schools and school officials have a legal and moral responsibility to protect children and young people from violence and abuse."

The investigation of Clery Act violations will be conducted by the Office of Federal Student Aid (FSA). DOE officials formally notified Penn State of the investigation in a letter today. As the FSA investigation proceeds, the Office for Civil Rights will also assess whether further investigations or enforcement actions are warranted.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2011, 06:53:22 PM
Federal government is starting to get involved.

Clearly prompted by that bombshell from Salon.

stjaba

The Westboro Baptist Church is planning to protest at the next Penn State game. They are calling Joe Paterno the "Pope of Happy Valley": http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/westboro_baptist_church_plans_2.html

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2011, 02:49:42 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2011, 02:47:04 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2011, 02:29:15 PM
I think it does if you consider the investigation didn't involve the cops. What is an investigation without the cops anyway? It could be you tell the VP Finance that you saw child molestation, the VP of Finance asks a few people if they saw anything, doesn't find any major red flags, but tells Sandusky not to bring kids on campus just in case.
There doesn't appear to have been any 2002 investigation.  Such an investigation would surely have involved McQueary, Paterno, and McQueasry's father.  They all say they were aware of no such action.  And no one told Sandusky not to bring kids on campus any more; they just told him not to take them into the locker rooms.

Well, the 2002 'investigation' involved Paterno telling Curley, then Curley and Schultz questioning McQueary about the incident.  The response was to tell Sandusky he couldn't bring any kids around the school.

I have head more than one radio interview where people have said Sandusky attended PSU football practice in 2007 with a young boy.  He was also working out in the PSU football weight room lat week.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 09, 2011, 02:16:01 PM
The 1998 investigation absolutely involved police.  University and State College police, and detectives named Shreffler and Ralston. 

That was the first mistake regarding contacting the police; namely, the wrong police.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2011, 07:35:36 PM
That was the first mistake regarding contacting the police; namely, the wrong police.

It sounds like they were actually doing their jobs (Shreffler was the campus cop, Ralston was the State College guy IIRC), until the head of the campus police told them to shut it down, the DA decided not to prosecute, and so on. 

They were at least looking in to it and were checking out a possible second victim, etc.  Then it...went away...and dude was "retired" fairly soon after.

All this is IIRC now.  I don't feel like looking at that pdf anymore.

CountDeMoney

Well, you'd never see anything like this happen at Florida State.  They're just gay. GAY FOR THAT PUSSY

Scipio

I would just like to point out that I am restraining myself from making any comment.  At all.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2011, 05:47:50 PM
I just saw an article on salon.com that Sandusky and Paterno are both registered republicans.

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/09/jerry_sandusky_and_joe_paterno_registered_republicans/
Sandusky is also a homosexual.

Martinusists should be rounded up and punished as accessories.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.