And we're back!

Main Menu

Penn State Goings-On

Started by jimmy olsen, November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasputin

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2011, 02:06:45 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on November 09, 2011, 01:56:12 PM
to the contrary, I believe that it's highly probable that others in the adminstration with knowledge of the investigation may have purposefully shielded joe pa from knowledge of what was going on thinking they were helping give him cover
Your assumption requires not only that the administration shield JoPa, but also that every cop and investigators and clerk with knowledge of the case also shield JoPa from knowing, to the extent of not even interviewing him as part of the case.  I don't think I buy the idea that such a conspiracy is reasonable.  Possible, yes, but not at all likely.

i don't believe that my assumption requires that at all
Who is John Galt?

grumbler

Quote from: Rasputin on November 09, 2011, 02:03:42 PM
i agree; thety whole thing is both far more complicated and far smellier than first appears 
The idea that a GA would end up as a coach isn't at all complicated, as far as I can see.  The majority of coaches are former GAs.  This is normal career progression.  There are only 2 GAs per team, so one of them getting a perm job isn't unlikely.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Rasputin on November 09, 2011, 02:13:25 PM
Only if you assume that JoPa didn't know about the 1992 investigation.  If you assume he did know, then you need not assume a conspiracy to keep him from knowing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2011, 02:13:33 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on November 09, 2011, 02:03:42 PM
i agree; thety whole thing is both far more complicated and far smellier than first appears 
The idea that a GA would end up as a coach isn't at all complicated, as far as I can see.  The majority of coaches are former GAs.  This is normal career progression.  There are only 2 GAs per team, so one of them getting a perm job isn't unlikely.

You would fail at being an investigator.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2011, 02:08:34 PM
You are using the word "investigation" in a different way than the rest of us.  There were no cops involved (That is the whole point!).  This was an internal investigation - if one occurred at all.

The 1998 investigation absolutely involved police.  University and State College police, and detectives named Shreffler and Ralston.  The District Attorney involved in that one is missing and assumed to be dead.  They found his computer in a river.

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 09, 2011, 02:16:01 PM
You are using the word "investigation" in a different way than the rest of us.  There were no cops involved (That is the whole point!).  This was an internal investigation - if one occurred at all.

The 1998 investigation absolutely involved police.  University Police and State College police, and detectives named Shreffler and Ralston.  The District Attorney involved in that one is missing and assumed to be dead.  They found his computer in a river.

Whhhaaaaaaaaaaaa??????
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2011, 02:17:07 PM
Whhhaaaaaaaaaaaa??????

No shit, man.  Apparently they declared him legally dead either this year or last year.

Edit:  Here he is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gricar

Declared dead on 25 July 2011.

The Brain

What kind of law suit is Pedo State looking forward to? How much?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2011, 01:59:14 PM
I dont see why Paterno would be involved in an investigation of that incident.  He did not witness it he merely passed on what he was told.  We also dont know what Paterno was told of the results of the investigation - if any.
But surely if you're told that someone saw your deputy rape a child you follow that up.  If you get told that they've been fiddling their expenses you kick it upstairs and leave it at that.  But with this sort of thing surely you'd want to know what's going on with the investigation and what's been found.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Isn't there a simpler explanation?

The GA sees the incident, and reports it up the chain. He doesn't put things as boldly as in the grand jury testimony, maybe because he then wouldn't be believed considering it was such a respected figure and was frightened by the implications.

The coaches and administrators that hear the story don't launch a full investigation because of a combination of they don't want the scandal and they can't believe the worst.

Everyone involved (except Paterno perhaps) is a sycophant, which explains how a senile 84 year old man too weak to stand on the sidelines during games is allowed to stay in charge of a multimillion dollar business. It is also how the GA is able to get promoted (as opposed to a payoff). The GA knows what he saw, but thinks he has already spoken up. So no one rocks the boat, but when called to testify the GA tells the truth. In his mind, he probably never lied and was doing the right thing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Rasputin

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2011, 02:15:07 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on November 09, 2011, 02:13:25 PM
Only if you assume that JoPa didn't know about the 1992 investigation.  If you assume he did know, then you need not assume a conspiracy to keep him from knowing.

what 1992 investigation?

i'm not assuming anything

I'm analyzing what conclusions should be reached from the known facts

to do otherwise can lead to false conclusions
Who is John Galt?

alfred russel

Another possible factor: Penn State athletics (and college sports in general) are so concerned about bad publicity that as standard operating procedure they look the other way when presented with evidence of wrongdoing that could embarrass the program. Maybe it started with routine fights that they would keep hushed up, then maybe a DUI, maybe some recreational drug use, possibly even a sexual assault, and then when child molestation comes up that just falls into the preestablished pattern.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Rasputin

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2011, 02:20:21 PM
Isn't there a simpler explanation?

The GA sees the incident, and reports it up the chain. He doesn't put things as boldly as in the grand jury testimony, maybe because he then wouldn't be believed considering it was such a respected figure and was frightened by the implications.

The coaches and administrators that hear the story don't launch a full investigation because of a combination of they don't want the scandal and they can't believe the worst.

Everyone involved (except Paterno perhaps) is a sycophant, which explains how a senile 84 year old man too weak to stand on the sidelines during games is allowed to stay in charge of a multimillion dollar business. It is also how the GA is able to get promoted (as opposed to a payoff). The GA knows what he saw, but thinks he has already spoken up. So no one rocks the boat, but when called to testify the GA tells the truth. In his mind, he probably never lied and was doing the right thing.

very logical but it doesnt explain the university's disposition in 2002 which leads me to believe that there may have been an actual 2002 investigation that got buried on the hopes that they could distance sandusky from the school
Who is John Galt?

crazy canuck

The 1998 investigation absolutely involved police.  University and State College police, and detectives named Shreffler and Ralston.  The District Attorney involved in that one is missing and assumed to be dead.  They found his computer in a river.

Was the 1998 case the one witnessed by the witnessed by the GA?

Rasputin

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2011, 02:25:04 PM

Was the 1998 case the one witnessed by the witnessed by the GA?

no his was the 2002 incident
Who is John Galt?