News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Akinator

Started by Martinus, November 05, 2011, 04:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2011, 06:21:04 PM
There were more then a few cynical veterans of WWII.  Novels like Catch 22 and The Naked and the Dead attest to that. 

Was Mailer a WWII vet?

Lettow77

Land sakes, but its obvious what sort of people are active on akinator lately. He had Fluttershy locked down by question nine.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

He got Trent Richardson after 20.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Played about a dozen times, he got almost all of them in under 20 questions.  And a couple of them were pretty hard--he got Georgy Zhukov in about 12 question.  He did have to make a second guess twice--once for Mike Stearns from the 1632 books (admittedly, a fairly obscure character) and again for Ice-T (who isn't obscure).  And I beat him once, with Jay Rockefeller.  Oddly, his first guess on that one was the other US Senator from WV, Joe Manchin.  And one of the last questions before guessing Manchin was "have you ever said hello to your character" which I found both odd and somewhat disturbing.

Josquius

I've tried this before and remember being amazed at it. This time....no. It just can't get David Beckham. Took 60 questions and a bunch of guesses
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2011, 09:34:33 PM
I've tried this before and remember being amazed at it. This time....no. It just can't get David Beckham. Took 60 questions and a bunch of guesses
That's bizarre.  It got Apostoulos Velios in under 20 :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

It got Steven Harper after a dozen or so questions.

It was stumped however by Thomas Steen, which I expected.  It was thrown off when it identified him as Swedish and a politician which led it to guess a bunch of Swdish politicians I've never heard of.  Steen is of course the Swedish-born former Winnipeg Jets player who is now a Winnipeg City councillor.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

I just tried Beckham and it guessed him after 20. Maybe you picked a wrong answer somewhere.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Drakken

Beaten it with Karl XI of Sweden - even though it asked me if he had a famous son, and showing me Karl XII afterwards.  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 05, 2011, 09:50:02 PM
I just tried Beckham and it guessed him after 20. Maybe you picked a wrong answer somewhere.

Yes there is liable to be some amount of user error.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2011, 08:44:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2011, 06:21:04 PM
There were more then a few cynical veterans of WWII.  Novels like Catch 22 and The Naked and the Dead attest to that. 

Was Mailer a WWII vet?

I believe so.  I know Kurt Vonnegut was and he was certainly cynical about war.  There were not many people who came back and said "Wow, that was fun!".  I know a lot of people just didn't want to talk about it, and tried their hardest to forget what the experienced over there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

That's true about the veterans themselves, but wasn't there a bit of a hero worship for WW2 vets after ther war?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2011, 03:00:25 AM
That's true about the veterans themselves, but wasn't there a bit of a hero worship for WW2 vets after ther war?

I'm not sure.  I think that is more of a modern thing.  Since there were vast numbers of Americans who served in the war, it wasn't considered atypical.  It was just something that everyone did.  I think the hero worship is a modern thing, stemming from a cultural guilt of how poorly Vietnam Vets were treated.  There was a lot of propaganda during the war exhorting the virtues of the fighting man, and Hollywood had plenty of material to make films about the war afterword, but as a whole I think most people just wanted things to return to normal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

It does get some pretty obscure characters, e.g. Uthred of Banburgh.
I tried Empress Matilda though and it totally failed and gave up.
██████
██████
██████