And we're back!

Main Menu

Neopaganism Is The Worst

Started by Queequeg, October 31, 2011, 11:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2011, 12:42:48 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 02, 2011, 12:37:38 PM
I wonder how much you actually know about neo-pagan beliefs. From this comment, I'd argue not much. They do have a belief system with gods and morals and everything, or at least most do. (It's really hard to discuss this intelligently when you continue to lump all of neo-pagan religions into one lump category.)
My family live not far from Glastonbury or Stonehenge.  I've spoken to a fair few neo-pagans and there's a lot in the area.  Nothing I've come across so far's shaken me into tolerance.

And I live near a small community of Amish. It doesn't mean that I know all that they believe or why. My point is that you don't know what you're talking about, and yet you're judging a large group of people based on misconceptions you hold tightly to. I find that sad and very unworthy of you.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on November 02, 2011, 12:48:53 PM
And I live near a small community of Amish. It doesn't mean that I know all that they believe or why. My point is that you don't know what you're talking about, and yet you're judging a large group of people based on misconceptions you hold tightly to. I find that sad and very unworthy of you.

Never trust an Anabaptist.  :ph34r: Those horse-drawn carrages and country cooking are fronts. Secretly, they are are planning to restage the Münster Rebellion ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnster_Rebellion
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on November 02, 2011, 12:52:49 PM

Never trust an Anabaptist.  :ph34r:

:unsure:

I married one. Well, the descendent of one, anyway. :mellow:

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on November 02, 2011, 12:57:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 02, 2011, 12:52:49 PM

Never trust an Anabaptist.  :ph34r:

:unsure:

I married one. Well, the descendent of one, anyway. :mellow:

There is one of these waiting for you as well ...  :ph34r:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Muenster_Lamberti_Koerbe_6428.jpg

No respite for the Anabaptist scourge!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on November 02, 2011, 12:37:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2011, 09:17:03 AM
I'm not in a flock :mellow:

But the entire point is neopagans don't have anything to believe in.  Being religious means believing in something external that's greater than yourself.  Neopagans don't have that.  They feel good in a forest, which is fine, but it's not a religion.  When they move beyond themselves then I'll think of them as a religion rather than self-involvement in a robe.

I wonder how much you actually know about neo-pagan beliefs. From this comment, I'd argue not much. They do have a belief system with gods and morals and everything, or at least most do. (It's really hard to discuss this intelligently when you continue to lump all of neo-pagan religions into one lump category.)

Perhaps you should do a bit of research before espousing this kind of garbage.

Okay, what do you think neo-pagan beliefs are?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on November 02, 2011, 12:43:15 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 02, 2011, 10:47:45 AM
Religion is for the weak. Just like a crutch, and equally useful.

I guess I just view all people as weak at some point in their lives, and if religion helps them keep going, I see no problem with it. In other words, if my twist my ankle, it helps to have a crutch to get on with things.

Mine was briefer.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 03:11:01 PM

She already indicated.  :mellow: She thinks they are diverse and depend on the particular tradition that particular neo-pagan is following.
and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on November 02, 2011, 03:45:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 03:11:01 PM

She already indicated.  :mellow: She thinks they are diverse and depend on the particular tradition that particular neo-pagan is following.

Well, do they have any common threads then?  If someone asked "what do Christians believe", I could equally say "they are diverse".  But there are some common things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 02, 2011, 09:45:53 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 09:57:01 PM
Quote from: Rabbi Shemp

Who is Rabbi Shemp?  :)
I was going to say-no idea who this is, as Rabbis don't date to this period, and the name "Shemp" sounds Ashkenazim. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 04:01:19 PM
Well, do they have any common threads then?  If someone asked "what do Christians believe", I could equally say "they are diverse".  But there are some common things.

I'm not sure. I think the most common thread would be that they believe in a higher power (or powers) that have a direct influence on their lives. Most would claim a connection with nature as well as a connection to their ancestors, though that isn't a requirement. Most often I've heard neo-paganism defined as an earth-based group of religions that believes in individual responsibility.

merithyn

Quote from: Queequeg on November 02, 2011, 04:04:32 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 02, 2011, 09:45:53 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 09:57:01 PM
Quote from: Rabbi Shemp

Who is Rabbi Shemp?  :)
I was going to say-no idea who this is, as Rabbis don't date to this period, and the name "Shemp" sounds Ashkenazim.

Was a joke. Don't strain yourselves over it.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on November 02, 2011, 04:52:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 04:01:19 PM

I'm not sure. I think the most common thread would be that they believe in a higher power (or powers) that have a direct influence on their lives. Most would claim a connection with nature as well as a connection to their ancestors, though that isn't a requirement. Most often I've heard neo-paganism defined as an earth-based group of religions that believes in individual responsibility.

If you don't know for sure, how can you be sure that we are misinterpreting them?