News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neopaganism Is The Worst

Started by Queequeg, October 31, 2011, 11:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maximus on November 01, 2011, 05:06:20 PM
I guess I don't see the distinction. I'd say a mental hug is pretty much the definition of a religion.
Religion's not an individual thing.  What marks a religion out is that it could have no believers and through the weight of its thought I could have a reasonable idea of what the religion is like.  That's true of the major faiths like Christianity or Buddhism, they are above the individual.  Neo-paganism and other 'spiritual' movements just seem very self-involved to me.  I don't see how you can have a religion of one.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maximus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2011, 08:32:02 PM
Religion's not an individual thing.
I guess we have a fundamental disagreement. I think religion is purely an individual thing.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on November 01, 2011, 06:03:17 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 01, 2011, 05:10:29 PM
Quote from: Maximus on November 01, 2011, 05:06:20 PM
I guess I don't see the distinction. I'd say a mental hug is pretty much the definition of a religion.

Religion based on dead white males = good and proper
Religion based on other folks = mental hug

It's all in the memo.
Islam is a religion.

And Mormonism is a cult.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: HVC on November 01, 2011, 04:32:45 PM
What the candian, the brit, and the crazy guy said :P

*edit* the lawery canadian, not the expat canadian married to an apparent wiccan :D

:)

I have little love for Wiccans in general, and certainly do not subscribe to their philosophy of life nor religion. I do, however, believe that one religion shouldn't be shunted aside simply because it's new. Historically speaking, it seems to take a good two or three centuries for a religion to be considered "valid", and the neo-pagans are only about a century in. I'm just willing to give them some slack while they figure things out.

On top of all of that, I just don't see a reason to belittle another person's faith so long as that faith doesn't harm anyone else.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Maximus on November 01, 2011, 08:42:10 PM
I guess we have a fundamental disagreement. I think religion is purely an individual thing.

Same here. :hug:

Which is why I left the Catholic church. I didn't do lock-step well, and it was required by them.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 09:24:14 PM
I have little love for Wiccans in general, and certainly do not subscribe to their philosophy of life nor religion. I do, however, believe that one religion shouldn't be shunted aside simply because it's new. Historically speaking, it seems to take a good two or three centuries for a religion to be considered "valid", and the neo-pagans are only about a century in. I'm just willing to give them some slack while they figure things out.

On top of all of that, I just don't see a reason to belittle another person's faith so long as that faith doesn't harm anyone else.
The social utility in religion is to bind a society together and to keep people docile.  New religions do none of these things.  Their adherents are usually misfits and malcontents with a sense of grievance whose goal include damaging the social order.  Only old, established religions can bind a nation.  Since all religions are equally false, there is no reason to tolerate any new religions, nor to refrain from mocking anyone who espouses their flawed dogmas.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: Rabbi Shemp

The social utility in religion is to bind a society together and to keep people docile.  New religions [like Christianity] do none of these things.  Their adherents are usually misfits and malcontents with a sense of grievance whose goal include damaging the social order.  Only old, established religions can bind a nation.  Since all religions are equally false, there is no reason to tolerate any new religions, nor to refrain from mocking anyone who espouses their flawed dogmas. [circa 50AD]

Ideologue

Obviously Christianity is a scourge.  What's your point?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 09:24:14 PM
I've no issue with young religions.  I've an enormous amount of love for the Bahai for example.  I find that syncretic Vietnamese faith interesting too.  I've even a grudging respect for the Mormons :P

But they're all religions, they're all things you can believe in and subscribe to.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 09:57:01 PM
Quote from: Rabbi Shemp

The social utility in religion is to bind a society together and to keep people docile.  New religions [like Christianity] do none of these things.  Their adherents are usually misfits and malcontents with a sense of grievance whose goal include damaging the social order.  Only old, established religions can bind a nation.  Since all religions are equally false, there is no reason to tolerate any new religions, nor to refrain from mocking anyone who espouses their flawed dogmas. [circa 50AD]
And they were right in 50AD.  How much social disruption did Christianity create?

I think we can agree that it is no longer 50AD.  These days, we understand the world better and are thus better able to make more rational policy decisions based on the assuption that any religion is false.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2011, 08:25:28 PM
Well, reasoning is more about costs vs benefits.

That's a pretty base definition of reasoning, wouldn't you say? I mean - yes; cost-benefit analysis is a type of reasoning, but I wouldn't say it's the only type by far. Actually I don't know of anyone who has even glanced at a philosophy textbook (even ones comprised solely of religious philosophers) who would suggest that cost-benefit analysis is the only thing meant when someone talks about "reasoning".

QuoteWould an act that you previously though morally wrong, but you would greatly benefit from with low chance of negative consequences (or no possible negative consequences), still be wrong?

As I said, it's not just about benefit. Is it your notion that in order to avoid being a moral relativist I must adhere to a system of morality which is supposedly handed down from a higher power? If not, what system of morality would be acceptable in its place? And is it seriously your contention that once one adopts a moral system one must never encounter a situation which cannot be crammed into that system? That once a morality is chosen that morality becomes immutable and incapable of growth?

I can't imagine you'd be arguing those things. And yet here you are, appearing to do that. I'm hoping you'll be able to explain your position with greater clarity.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Neil on November 01, 2011, 10:15:54 PM
I think we can agree that it is no longer 50AD.

I extremely dispute your assertion with extreme prejudice.
and the horse you rode in on

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on November 01, 2011, 11:22:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2011, 08:25:28 PM
Well, reasoning is more about costs vs benefits.

That's a pretty base definition of reasoning, wouldn't you say? I mean - yes; cost-benefit analysis is a type of reasoning, but I wouldn't say it's the only type by far. Actually I don't know of anyone who has even glanced at a philosophy textbook (even ones comprised solely of religious philosophers) who would suggest that cost-benefit analysis is the only thing meant when someone talks about "reasoning".

QuoteWould an act that you previously though morally wrong, but you would greatly benefit from with low chance of negative consequences (or no possible negative consequences), still be wrong?

As I said, it's not just about benefit. Is it your notion that in order to avoid being a moral relativist I must adhere to a system of morality which is supposedly handed down from a higher power? If not, what system of morality would be acceptable in its place? And is it seriously your contention that once one adopts a moral system one must never encounter a situation which cannot be crammed into that system? That once a morality is chosen that morality becomes immutable and incapable of growth?

I can't imagine you'd be arguing those things. And yet here you are, appearing to do that. I'm hoping you'll be able to explain your position with greater clarity.

What sort of growth are we talking about here, then?  Most moral systems have some framework for dealing with new situations, but you really don't come across new moral systems very often in your daily life.  Yours sounds a lot like "Making it up as you go", in which the temptation to do what is easy or simply beneficial well quickly be rationalized as right.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on November 01, 2011, 08:42:10 PM

How odd.  Religion is a bit like law.  You don't personally interpret the law.  Well not if you intend to stay out of jail.  Why would the divine law change person to person?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017