Main Menu

American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 04:39:59 PM
Well, the ATF has apparently banned importation of Soviet surplus 5.45x39mm ammo, or at least the plentiful and cheap 7n6 variety.  Not because of anything going on in Russia/Ukraine, but because some goofball decided to make an AR pistol chambered for 5.45x39. 

Yeah, I dont visit this thread very often - so shoot me*

Out of curiousity what authority does the ATF have to unilaterally regulate in that manner.  Isnt that sort of thing which needs to be done through Federal regulations which the ATF then enforces?

*Do not take literally.

Ed Anger

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 25, 2014, 07:06:30 PM
No night vision. I'm not an elf.

Eh, qiut being a girl. Just step out the back door and pop off a few.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on April 25, 2014, 07:33:02 PM

Yeah. In the middle of a residential area.  :rolleyes:

Way to shake off that redneck stereotype there, 114Confederacy

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2014, 07:04:54 PM
Out of curiousity what authority does the ATF have to unilaterally regulate in that manner.  Isnt that sort of thing which needs to be done through Federal regulations which the ATF then enforces?

In the US the enforcement agency is usually the one responsible for rulemaking as well.

Here's one example from the ATF:
QuoteI. Background
The Attorney General is responsible for enforcing the provisions of section 38 of the Arms Export Control Act of 1976 (AECA), 22 U.S.C. 2778, that relate to the importation of defense articles and defense services, and also for enforcing the provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53. The Attorney General is also responsible for enforcing the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, relating to commerce in firearms and ammunition. He has delegated all of those responsibilities to the Director of ATF (''Director''), subject to the direction of the Attorney General and the Deputy Attorney General. 28 CFR 0.130.
1. The authority citation for 27 CFR part 447 continues to read as follows:
Authority: 22 U.S.C. 2778.
3. The authority citation for 27 CFR part 479 continues to read as follows:
Authority: 26 U.S.C. 7805.
http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulemakings/notices/notice-43P.pdf

Those code sections give rulemaking responsibility to the President and the Secretary of the Treasury, which has then devolved upon ATF.

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 25, 2014, 07:37:22 PM

;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on April 25, 2014, 08:08:45 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 25, 2014, 07:37:22 PM

;)

Yee-haw!  :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: ulmont on April 25, 2014, 08:03:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2014, 07:04:54 PM

In the US the enforcement agency is usually the one responsible for rulemaking as well.

Here's one example from the ATF:
QuoteI. Background
The Attorney General is responsible for enforcing the provisions of section 38 of the Arms Export Control Act of 1976 (AECA), 22 U.S.C. 2778, that relate to the importation of defense articles and defense services, and also for enforcing the provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53. The Attorney General is also responsible for enforcing the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, relating to commerce in firearms and ammunition. He has delegated all of those responsibilities to the Director of ATF (''Director''), subject to the direction of the Attorney General and the Deputy Attorney General. 28 CFR 0.130.
1. The authority citation for 27 CFR part 447 continues to read as follows:
Authority: 22 U.S.C. 2778.
3. The authority citation for 27 CFR part 479 continues to read as follows:
Authority: 26 U.S.C. 7805.
http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulemakings/notices/notice-43P.pdf

Those code sections give rulemaking responsibility to the President and the Secretary of the Treasury, which has then devolved upon ATF.

If the enforcement agency gets to make their own rules as they go - where is the oversight and accountability?

The gun nuts may not be so nutty after all.

11B4V

Ideologue

Actual successful lawyer says:  "The legislature has delegated its powers to the executive?  WTF is that shit?"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2014, 10:54:28 PM
If the enforcement agency gets to make their own rules as they go - where is the oversight and accountability?

Congress makes the law.  The rules for enforcing that law are drafted by the agency that has expertise.  There is a notice and comment period.  If the rules exceed the authorization, they can be challenged.  If the agency fails to provide appropriate notice and comment, they can be challenged.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson