News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Nice.  Hopefully the .22 ammo supply loosens up soon, but a brick of it should last you a bit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Yeah, this is getting ridiculous.  I'm not sure what will pop this bubble.  The manufacturers seem to be afraid to increase production, probably fearing the bubble will burst before they pay for the capital costs of the expansion.  Norma has only been selling rimfire ammo in the US for 6 months, so maybe they and other foreign manufacturers can push the supply to where the speculators can't buy it all up any more.

DGuller

Good choice, it's a very under-rated caliber.  :thumbsup: You don't need to create large exit wounds to get the job done.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

At the range this morning some fuckhead in the lane next to me kept ejecting his brass all over me.  One of them grazed my neck and went down the back of my shirt.  Burned like a mofo. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Since this is the general firearms megathread now...

The nearest Cabelas has a Gewehr 88 on the rack right now that I saw today when I went to pick up my ammo.  The price drop is pretty significant, but from what I can tell $580 for that rifle in its current condition was ridiculous.  However, is it worth $400?  My little bit of research indicates it might be a little high, but is at least in the ballpark of what it should be worth.  I need to go back and look over the bolt and receiver markings in more detail.

derspiess

You could get then for a lot cheaper than that a few years ago. But the cool thing about them is that they are all antiques & aren't regulated as firearms. Not sure I'd shoot modern 8mm ammo in them, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 12, 2014, 05:17:10 PM
Since this is the general firearms megathread now...

The nearest Cabelas has a Gewehr 88 on the rack right now that I saw today when I went to pick up my ammo.  The price drop is pretty significant, but from what I can tell $580 for that rifle in its current condition was ridiculous.  However, is it worth $400?  My little bit of research indicates it might be a little high, but is at least in the ballpark of what it should be worth.  I need to go back and look over the bolt and receiver markings in more detail.

Cabela's is always high. IMO Pass.

If you do get it, have the bore slugged to find out wheather it's groove diameter is .318 or .323 Cal. Also have the chamber cast too.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I think I'll skip that one then and use the money to get my shotguns reconditioned instead.

On the ammo, though, I have read that you should only use modern ammo in Gew88s, because of their age.  Milsurp Mauser ammo is supposed to be corrosive and higher pressure than a gun of this age can handle.

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 13, 2014, 09:12:18 AM
I think I'll skip that one then and use the money to get my shotguns reconditioned instead.

On the ammo, though, I have read that you should only use modern ammo in Gew88s, because of their age.  Milsurp Mauser ammo is supposed to be corrosive and higher pressure than a gun of this age can handle.

Well, surplus 8mm is so rare these days to begin with (I wasn't actually suggesting that anyone shoot that in a GEW88), but I'd be a little wary even with modern commercial ammo. 

I feel safe shooting my old M98 Mauser and that 100+ year old Mosin Nagant, but I'd just feel a little wary of firing a GEW88 at all, the more I think of it.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2014, 09:37:38 AM
Well, surplus 8mm is so rare these days to begin with (I wasn't actually suggesting that anyone shoot that in a GEW88), but I'd be a little wary even with modern commercial ammo. 

I feel safe shooting my old M98 Mauser and that 100+ year old Mosin Nagant, but I'd just feel a little wary of firing a GEW88 at all, the more I think of it.

I guess it does depend on the condition of the receiver.  Most guys don't seem to be concerned about shooting modern, lower-pressure ammo out of them, though.

As for milsurp, I have seen spam cans of Romanian surplus on various websites.  No idea what the quality is like, though.