American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Your folks are out in Carroll County?  I thought they were on the Eastern Shore for some reason.  I've got a good friend who grew up in Carroll County. :) Always had a lot of fun stories about his "free-spirited" youth down there.  His folks moved to Gettysburg a few years back, though.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Nah, I grew up on the Eastern Shore from age 7 onwards, and we moved up here to Kerrull Kounty when I was 16.  Still in the same house.

Shit around here ain't changed, except for some commuter sprawl.  And the local townies and barflies are still the local townies and barflies, just with smartphones.

katmai

So shop we are setting up to film in just got one of these in today :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

A rather interesting way how Reuters presents this statistic ... :hmm:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

For reference, a more conventional representation:

It seems the creator of the graphic said she put the deaths below the x-Axis, because she considers all deaths to be negative.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

I hope when I die it is a negative death.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2014, 11:55:38 PM
It seems the creator of the graphic said she put the deaths below the x-Axis, because she considers all deaths to be negative.
:rolleyes: Journalists should stick to reporting the facts, and leave the value judgments to their readers.

celedhring

But who created the graphic, Reuters or Florida's Law Enforcement Department?

Syt

Reuters. She says she was inspired by this graphic. Somehow the Florida Stand Your Ground one doesn't seem quite as poignant.

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

That one works, mostly because it's red bars and thus they give the impression of blood dripping. Using a vector makes it look like the Stand Your Ground law actually reduced violent deaths if you don't stop and read the graphic carefully.

Anyway, was interested in knowing if it was Florida's Law Department the ones who were trying to fudge the graphic, but if it's just a journalist is less serious.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Who's faster than a speeding bullet?  Certainly not Caliga's foot or dermisfire's kitchen wall.