News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2013, 05:23:34 PM
I have to admit that a part of me would like to own a Lee-Enfield one day.  :blush:

But then again it is also perfectly valid as a hunting rifle too.
My dad has one that we used to take out and shoot from time to time.  I suppose one day it'll be mine.

Interestingly, he never used it to shoot up an educational institution, which seems to be something that Americans can't resist.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on January 22, 2013, 05:43:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2013, 05:23:34 PM
I have to admit that a part of me would like to own a Lee-Enfield one day.  :blush:

But then again it is also perfectly valid as a hunting rifle too.
My dad has one that we used to take out and shoot from time to time.  I suppose one day it'll be mine.

Interestingly, he never used it to shoot up an educational institution, which seems to be something that Americans can't resist.

With a Lee-Enfield??? I dont recall a school shooting with one here in the US. I could have swore the preferred weapon of choice is handguns w/ high cap mags.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Just with guns in general.  I suspect owning any kind of firearm sets off the American hatred of schools.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on January 22, 2013, 06:17:23 PM
Just with guns in general.  I suspect owning any kind of firearm sets off the American hatred of schools.

How canukian of you.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on January 22, 2013, 06:20:06 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 22, 2013, 06:17:23 PM
How canukian of you.
Looking down on our neighbours is something we really enjoy, almost as much as we love looking down on Francophones.

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on January 19, 2013, 11:01:52 PM
Inspired by 11B, I decided to do a little work this weekend that I had been putting off for a while.  Took the 20" barrel AR I have and swapped out the flat-top A3 upper receiver out for an FN-made A2 receiver.

Had to remove the gas tube and barrel and re-attach both to the new receiver, but it was surprisingly easy to do.  Used the armorer's tool, a 5/32 punch, an action block and vise.  Took less than an hour and that was with me taking it slow.  When I re-attached the barrel I torqued the barrel nut to 80 ft/lbs per the TM. 

Finally have a "real" A2 clone, permanent carry handle & all.

Went through & calculated my final cost for this project.  Factoring in the things I bought vs. extra parts I sold off this week (at a premium, thanks to the current craze), my final cost was just $358.  And that's without using any junk parts-- everything was mil-spec or better.   
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 27, 2013, 12:53:36 PM
http://gunssavelives.net/blog/video-30000-ww2-rifle-turned-in-during-police-gun-buyback/

You do realize that gun buybacks are optional, right?  Nobody is required by law to participate.  Ergo, that guy was a moron.

They should send it to the US Ordnance Museum.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2013, 02:06:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 27, 2013, 12:53:36 PM
http://gunssavelives.net/blog/video-30000-ww2-rifle-turned-in-during-police-gun-buyback/

You do realize that gun buybacks are optional, right?  Nobody is required by law to participate.  Ergo, that guy was a moron.

They should send it to the US Ordnance Museum.

A lady turned it in. Yes she's a moron and yes it's optional and yes it should go to a museum..... :P

But there is factory ammo available for it now.  ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 27, 2013, 05:46:10 PM
A lady turned it in.

I could see my mother doing something like that.

"It really old, because it has a swastika on the do-hickey for the thingie."

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2013, 06:35:01 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 27, 2013, 05:46:10 PM
A lady turned it in.

I could see my mother doing something like that.

"It really old, because it has a swastika on the do-hickey for the thingie."

Women are funny like that. Dont go on the internet lady. It was cool of the cops letting her know and giving it back.

MadImmortalMan

I dunno about generalizing it. My wife would never do that but my mom is a total flake and I could easily see her making that mistake. Especially since she's a doofus about firearms.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

derspiess

Sold the SKS.  I'll miss it, but with the market being what it is I couldn't resist the opportunity.  Sold it for 3x what I paid ten years ago. 

Now I gotta get my CMP paperwork in order so I can order one of their "service grade" M1 Garands.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2013, 01:19:50 PM
Now I gotta get my CMP paperwork in order so I can order one of their "service grade" M1 Garands.

I thought Ed Anger was the only Languishite that planned on storming Normandy.