American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2012, 10:38:15 AM
For the moment.  Maybe he should legislate the gun industry out of existence.  It would definitely make life in the US better.
Naw
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

With languish being down and all, it gave me an excuse to start reloading the 38 Long Colt. Four inert rounds finalizing the seating depth and crimp.

Yes guns are bad Neil. :blurgh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

For the moment.  Maybe he should legislate the gun industry out of existence.  It would definitely make life in the US better.

"Guns don't kill people; dangerous minorities do."
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2012, 09:26:41 PM

"Guns don't kill people; dangerous minorities do."

So in 20 years that will be you, thanks for making it come to fruition faster by the way.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on March 26, 2012, 01:46:13 PM
With languish being down and all, it gave me an excuse to start reloading the 38 Long Colt. Four inert rounds finalizing the seating depth and crimp.

Yes guns are bad Neil. :blurgh:

Kinda reminds me of those .32 S&W Longs I have that I'll never shoot.

I need to get into reloading.  With ammo prices this high, the equipment ought to pay for itself before too long.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

I'll be loading 32 Smith & Wesson for a converted, (from .31 cal) 1849 replica, just waiting on the dies. Damn is that a small cartridge. Every time I look at it I think of that scene in Harlem Knights, "Stop shootin' that little mother fucker". 85 grain lead bullet at 650 fps.

The '49 is in the center.

I just got a LEE turret press(4 hole) and set it up just for reloading the pistol calibers. Makes it easier to just change the turret with the dies already adjusted. 32 S&W, 38 Long Colt, 38 Special, .357, .380 ACP, 9mm, 45 Long Colt, .45 ACP. I'll still use the RCBS single stage for rifle.

Downstair, in the War Room. The set-up before mounting the Lee press.

CountDeMoney

What a mess.  Absolutely no rhyme or reason whatsoever.

11B4V

There's a system. If not I would have already blowed myself up. ;)

CountDeMoney

11B4V

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on March 27, 2012, 12:17:21 AM

Any recommendations on a beginner setup?  I want to start pretty simple with 9x19mm (I have a buttload of brass, plus some bullets I bought by mistake a long time ago) and then move up to 5.56x45 and later 7.92x57.

From what it sounds like, I can sorta go 'cheap' on everything but the scales. 

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on March 27, 2012, 11:12:34 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 27, 2012, 12:17:21 AM

Any recommendations on a beginner setup?  I want to start pretty simple with 9x19mm (I have a buttload of brass, plus some bullets I bought by mistake a long time ago) and then move up to 5.56x45 and later 7.92x57.

From what it sounds like, I can sorta go 'cheap' on everything but the scales.

Presses range from
single stage press:

to the progressive (expensive) set-ups:

Sounds like your looking for bulk with  the 9mm and 5.56mm. I would recommend this for entry level with Lee dies:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

It will be faster then a single stage for the 9mm/5.56mm or any other pistol rounds and wont break the bank like a progresive will. Get extra turret plates. This allows you to set up a particular die and swap out when you change calibers with another set-up turret plate. You can always upgrade to a progressive once you get comfortable and use to reloading.

That kit also has one of the best reloading manuals around in it for beginers. (Lee 2nd edition). Read read read. Develop a good loading routine and stick to it. Understand that small changes i.e. in primer types, can make changes to how the load performs. Understand what things effects chamber pressures. Remember start low and work up the loads. 

Get an RCBS case lube kit; Stay away from ("One Shot" spray lube) from hornady.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/672826/rcbs-case-lube-kit

Get a good case trimmer. I cant stress this enough. Trim to length, trim to length. A case that is not trimmed to proper length can spike chamber pressures to dangerous levels.

Manual powder trickler.
Brass tumbler is nice to have.

Other things, for example, like digital scales are nice to have. I been using an RCBS balance/beam scale for over 20 years. It's all I need, beings I hand weigh each charge to insure consistantcey. If you load in bulk with a mid range load, you dont need to do that. I will probably upgrade to a digital one of these days.

On the 8x57; Easy to load. It's one of the cartridges I'm currently working up hunting loads for in my Rem 700 Classic. I use only new Remington and Winchester brass for the 8x57. If you have Mil Surplus brass make sure it doesnt have a berdan type primer.

Lastly, reasearch with online forums. A good reloading one is  http://www.thehighroad.org/

If you have a question...ask

Also is any of your brass military? If so, they will most and likely have crimped primers.

11B4V

Dryer sheets in a brass tumbler. You learn new things all the time.  :lol:

derspiess

Hot damn, the upper is finally here. 

I put an LMT rear sight ont  it & slapped a Magpul Pmag in it (the GI style mags fit a little tight).  Pretty generic M4-esque setup, but that's how I like it.  If I ever go the "tacticool"/mall ninja route, someone please shoot me.

I need to get a sling, and possibly a relatively inexpensive red dot or optical sight, but otherwise I'm done.  Hopefully i can sneak out for some range time this weekend.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on March 27, 2012, 10:28:51 PM
Presses range from
single stage press:

to the progressive (expensive) set-ups:

Sounds like your looking for bulk with  the 9mm and 5.56mm. I would recommend this for entry level with Lee dies:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

It will be faster then a single stage for the 9mm/5.56mm or any other pistol rounds and wont break the bank like a progresive will. Get extra turret plates. This allows you to set up a particular die and swap out when you change calibers with another set-up turret plate. You can always upgrade to a progressive once you get comfortable and use to reloading.

That kit also has one of the best reloading manuals around in it for beginers. (Lee 2nd edition). Read read read. Develop a good loading routine and stick to it. Understand that small changes i.e. in primer types, can make changes to how the load performs. Understand what things effects chamber pressures. Remember start low and work up the loads. 

Get an RCBS case lube kit; Stay away from ("One Shot" spray lube) from hornady.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/672826/rcbs-case-lube-kit

Get a good case trimmer. I cant stress this enough. Trim to length, trim to length. A case that is not trimmed to proper length can spike chamber pressures to dangerous levels.

Manual powder trickler.
Brass tumbler is nice to have.

Other things, for example, like digital scales are nice to have. I been using an RCBS balance/beam scale for over 20 years. It's all I need, beings I hand weigh each charge to insure consistantcey. If you load in bulk with a mid range load, you dont need to do that. I will probably upgrade to a digital one of these days.

Lots of good info-- thanks.

QuoteOn the 8x57; Easy to load. It's one of the cartridges I'm currently working up hunting loads for in my Rem 700 Classic. I use only new Remington and Winchester brass for the 8x57. If you have Mil Surplus brass make sure it doesnt have a berdan type primer.

Lastly, reasearch with online forums. A good reloading one is  http://www.thehighroad.org/

If you have a question...ask

Also is any of your brass military? If so, they will most and likely have crimped primers.

The small bit of 8mm brass I have is from Remington hunting ammo.  I have a bunch of 9mm brass and it's all commercial.  The only other brass I have that I can find is 7.62x25mm (all S&B, boxer primed).

I should have some commercial 5.56 brass soon :)  And I'll eventually have some commercial 7.62x54R brass if I can bring myself to shoot that nice S&B ammo.  But with all the cheap 7.62x54R surplus ammo out there, I don't see myself reloading that any time soon.

Re: 5.56 ammo, I always said I'd avoid Russian steel-cased stuff if I ever got an AR-pattern rifle, but I'm tempted to order some Wolf 55 gr. stuff since AIM has it for close to $.20 per round.