American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

As for the upper, I had initially planned to go the cheaper route.  DSArms has a sweet deal on $240 16" uppers ($365 after you add the bolt carrier group & charging handle) but they are pretty severely backordered.  Del-ton had a comparable deal but they are also backordered. 

Since I don't want to wait 2+ months to complete this project, I narrowed my search down to places that could ship within a couple weeks.  Finally went with Palmetto State Armory.  Price is a little higher than I originally intended to pay, but I'm getting a chrome-lined bore (inside of the bolt carrier is also chrome-lined) and they can apparently build & ship within 15 days: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-mid-length-chrome-lined-upper.html

When it's all said & done, I will have built the rifle for a little less than what I would have paid for a lower-spec complete rifle.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

You should be able to find something. The market is huge. Just dont settle, because you'll change it to the part you want anyway. A lot better to be able to put a weapon together than have a gunsmith do it. I'll tell you of a 2 year saga of a 338-06 some time.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 12, 2012, 06:24:51 PM
In case you needed a new idea for a gun...

http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/af-2011-a1-double-barrel-pistol

Hmm, with a double-barrel pistol I wonder if you could attach *two* pistol bayonets?  :lol:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on March 12, 2012, 05:02:07 PM
You should be able to find something. The market is huge. Just dont settle, because you'll change it to the part you want anyway. A lot better to be able to put a weapon together than have a gunsmith do it. I'll tell you of a 2 year saga of a 338-06 some time.

I ordered the PSA upper.  These 15 days are going to seem like an eternity.

katmai

So derspicy, what do you need such a weapon if not for coming zombie apocalypse?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on March 13, 2012, 07:35:05 AM
So derspicy, what do you need such a weapon if not for coming zombie apocalypse?

I enjoy punching holes in paper from various distances.  And I want to re-live my ROTC days.

derspiess

Well, now I have two AR lower receivers but no upper half to put on them.  Odd-- the parts that require you to go through a dealer to buy are easier to get a hold of than the parts that you can buy directly.

Anyway, the New Frontier lower (the one on bottom) is made almost entirely of polymer.  Not just the receiver itself, but the trigger assembly, all pins, bolt hold-open latch assembly, etc.  All those parts are upgradable to mil-spec metal parts if you choose, but they seem to work pretty well as they are.  The full lower with (apparently mil-spec) adjustable stock was $99 shipped plus my FFL fee.  No immediate plans for it, but I'll keep it around for a future project.

I'm on day 9 of my 15 business day wait for my full upper from Palmetto State Armory.  Hopefully they won't let me down.  I could have gone with a cheaper and quicker alternative, but for getting a chrome-lined bore and high quality bolt, they seemed like most bang for the buck, without having to wait *too* long.

The Minsky Moment

Fun fact:  To get a pistol permit in Westchester County (regardless of limitation) you need to get 4 referees to fill out, sign and notarize a 2 page reference letter.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on March 13, 2012, 07:35:05 AM

Well there's always Obama and the NWO to worry about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2012, 06:03:21 PM
Fun fact:  To get a pistol permit in Westchester County (regardless of limitation) you need to get 4 referees to fill out, sign and notarize a 2 page reference letter.
pistol... permit? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Obama's the best thing that ever happened to the gun industry.

http://www.ruger.com/corporate/news/2012-03-21.html
QuoteSturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. Reports Strong First Quarter Bookings
March 21, 2012
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR), announced today that for the first quarter 2012, the Company has received orders for more than one million units. Therefore, the Company has temporarily suspended the acceptance of new orders.

Chief Executive Officer Michael O. Fifer made the following comments:

The Company's Retailer Programs that were offered from January 1, 2012 through February 29, 2012 were very successful and generated significant orders from retailers to independent wholesale distributors for Ruger firearms.
    Year-to-date, the independent wholesale distributors placed orders with the Company for more than one million Ruger firearms.
    Despite the Company's continuing successful efforts to increase production rates, the incoming order rate exceeds our capacity to rapidly fulfill these orders. Consequently, the Company has temporarily suspended the acceptance of new orders.
    The Company expects to resume the normal acceptance of orders by the end of May 2012.

The Company will announce its results and file its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the first quarter of 2012 on Tuesday, May 1, 2012, after the close of the stock market.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

We know. But he's still bad.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

For the moment.  Maybe he should legislate the gun industry out of existence.  It would definitely make life in the US better.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.