American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on February 19, 2012, 10:29:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2012, 08:56:41 PM
So most of the decent States say no?
If by 'decent states' you mean 'states that don't trust their residents to defend themselves', then I guess the answer is yes. :bowler:

Having met a number of Americans - I wouldn't trust them to defend theself either.

Better to trust your life to the RCMP.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

What's the RCMP response time on a house break-in in Georgia?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Still haven't made a decision on my AR purchase.  Well, I sorta did.  I ordered a lower receiver I intend to slowly build upon.  But that's more of a project.  I may still buy that M&P 15, particularly if I can find it locally cheaper than the so-far best price of $645.

What I'm still trying to get my mind around is how friggin' expensive ammunition has gotten in the past few years.  Back about 10-12 years ago I could easily find military surplus ammo for 10 to 12 cents per round even in small quantities.  Hell, I remember buying Turkish 8mm Mauser ammo at $2.99 per 70-round bandoleer.  Commercially-produced ammo cost more but was still reasonable.

I had not been out shooting much in the past decade and when I did I was able to simply draw from my small stockpile.  Now that I'm about out of 9x19 and 9x18mm I need to re-stock, plus I need to start thinking about 5.56/.223 ammo.  Looks like you need to buy that in the 1000's to get close to 20 cents a round.  Yikes. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on March 02, 2012, 12:30:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2012, 12:25:54 PM
And so it begins

Lot you can do with that. :punk:

Picked it up at AIM Surplus yesterday for $60.  Went out to a local gun shop today at lunch and picked up a lower parts kit.  I plan on buying a complete upper to go along with it.  And I'll need a stock, of course.

At the same time, I have one of these things on order: http://lw15.com/

Was skeptical about a polymer lower, but people thought Glock was crazy for doing the exact same thing 30 years ago.  There isn't a whole lot of stress on the lower receiver, anyway.  Worth a shot at $99 shipped for a complete lower. 

derspiess

With most of the lower parts added.  The two roll pins were a bitch to install-- everything else was easy-peasy.  Need to shop around for a stock and then the lower will be complete.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2012, 12:39:16 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 19, 2012, 10:29:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2012, 08:56:41 PM
So most of the decent States say no?
If by 'decent states' you mean 'states that don't trust their residents to defend themselves', then I guess the answer is yes. :bowler:

Having met a number of Americans - I wouldn't trust them to defend theself either.

I suppose if two American citizens are in a situation where they have to defend themselves against each other you are going to have a 50% failure rate.  Unless they are extremely incompetent and paradoxically both succeed in defending themselves against the other one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

The newest purchase. Remington Model 6 .270 Winchester.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2012, 12:39:16 AM

I've had to deal with the RCMP in Alberta many times.  All-around excellent operation.  The Sheriff's Department and ASSIST has good peeps, too.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on March 11, 2012, 02:41:23 AM
The newest purchase. Remington Model 6 .270 Winchester.

My granddad had a really nice one in .30-06 IIRC.  I did not inherit it :mellow:

derspiess

Found a deal on a commercial spec stock over the weekend, so the lower is now complete.  Will probably replace it with a mil-spec stock at some point, but it'll do for now.