American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

I have a Ruger SR556. Here a little about it.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

That's so totally unnecessary.

What do you plan on breaching?  Your beer fridge out in the garage?

Ed Anger

QuoteWhat do you plan on breaching?

the chest cavity.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2012, 09:01:33 AM
That's so totally unnecessary.

What do you plan on breaching?  Your beer fridge out in the garage?

In that configuration, it's perfectly okay.  It's the Range Rambos with their foregrip, laser, flashlight, *and* scope attachments that need to answer that question.  The foregrip on a semi-auto rifle is particularly confusing.

Personally, I just like the mechanics, functionality, low recoil, and accuracy of the AR system.  It would complement the brutal simplicity of my M44 Mosin-Nagant firing heavy ball ammo :pinch:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on February 13, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

It's out of my price range, but how do you like it?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2012, 04:41:45 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 13, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

It's out of my price range, but how do you like it?

I like it. It is as you see it above. No lights, lasers or scopes. Dont need that shit. Kinda bummed it didnt have a bayonet lug. Havent had any problems with it. It's a gas piston as opposed to DI type system.

It was an impluse buy kinda like the CETME. I'm more of an appreciator of fine bolt actions.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on February 14, 2012, 10:34:13 PM
I like it. It is as you see it above. No lights, lasers or scopes. Dont need that shit. Kinda bummed it didnt have a bayonet lug. Havent had any problems with it. It's a gas piston as opposed to DI type system.

I noticed the SIG556 also has a gas piston.  Does that make it easier to clean?  I'd imagine the piston head collects a lot of the carbon residue that would otherwise collect on the bolt assembly.

QuoteIt was an impluse buy kinda like the CETME. I'm more of an appreciator of fine bolt actions.

I missed out on CETMEs while they were relatively cheap & plentiful.  Most of my collection (what is left of it anyway) is milsurp bolt action rifles.  Not the higher end stuff, but I have a Yugo M48 that I bought in brand new, unissued condition and a nicely made 1944-dated Finn M39.

Most interesting one I have is a Russian M91/30 1943-dated rifle that has very rough machining marks on the receiver.  I'm guessing it was made in the early part of 1943, either during the Kharkov counteroffensive or the early part of the Kursk offensive, when the Russians were in "Oh shit, the Germans are coming" mode and cranked them out of the factory as fast as they could.

11B4V

QuoteI noticed the SIG556 also has a gas piston.  Does that make it easier to clean?  I'd imagine the piston head collects a lot of the carbon residue that would otherwise collect on the bolt assembly.

Yea, I guess you could say that. Doesnt expell the gasses back into the chamber/bolt area. Some of the arguements on gun boards are comical to say the least. They are more expensive.

QuoteI missed out on CETMEs while they were relatively cheap & plentiful.
You can still find them around. More expensive, though. It does fire the 7.62x51mm. :D

QuoteMost of my collection (what is left of it anyway) is milsurp bolt action rifles.  Not the higher end stuff, but I have a Yugo M48 that I bought in brand new, unissued condition
Those are/were nice pieces.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on February 15, 2012, 10:26:09 PM
Yea, I guess you could say that. Doesnt expell the gasses back into the chamber/bolt area. Some of the arguements on gun boards are comical to say the least.

I've found that just about any argument relating to AR rifles ends up being pretty comical :D

I was totally unaware Smith & Wesson made a budget AR until a couple days ago.  A local shop had the S&W M&P Sport priced at $645 and it seemed like a well-built rifle.  It's missing two things I want: forward assist and dust cover.  But that's mostly a nostalgia thing for me since the A1's & A2's I played with in ROTC had them.  It's also missing a chrome-lined bore & chamber but I suppose I can live without that as well.  I did like the flip-up rear sight & would probably just use that for a while, as I sort through all the options for optical sights.

Even at full MSRP ($739) this seems like a hell of a deal for an entry-level AR made by one of the best-known firearms manufacturers & carrying a lifetime warranty.  But I'll shop around & see if I can find it for closer to $600.

11B4V

Caliga

Passed my qualification for a CCDW today. :cool:

But somehow between the gun range and home I seem to have lost a piece of my pistol (the block adaptor/locking block). :blink:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Passed my qualification for a CCDW today. :cool:
:thumbsup: congrats

QuoteBut somehow between the gun range and home I seem to have lost a piece of my pistol (the block adaptor/locking block). :blink:

:blink:

Caliga

I know, it makes no sense to me either. :hmm:

It's gonna cost me $75 for a replacement and they're on backorder. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

A buddy and I went to the range today, as he wanted to try out his shotgun, and it gave me a chance to squeeze off several from my grandfather's old Remington 700 hunting rifle (that he used for moose) that my uncle passed onto me over Christmas.

The recoil kicks ass, but good to see the telescopic sight on it seems to still be quite well aligned.  For not having shot a rifle in quite some time, I did rather well...though probably not well enough to make Siege proud.  :P