American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I mean without money for proper training in their use what is the point? Just owning a gun doesn't do much for you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2019, 01:39:09 PM
I mean without money for proper training in their use what is the point? Just owning a gun doesn't do much for you.

Indeed.  the idea isn't completely insane - you can squint at it and see echoes of what Switzerland does - but without training and organization as some form of militia it's just stupid.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

You can't take the Arkansas out of Missouri.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2019, 01:42:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2019, 01:39:09 PM

Indeed.  the idea isn't completely insane - you can squint at it and see echoes of what Switzerland does - but without training and organization as some form of militia it's just stupid.

Oh come on. This has nothing to do with any militia, it is right wing whacko virtue signalling, and nothing more.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

That idea is nuttier than young earth creationism.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Meanwhile in the sane world, New Zealand's PM announces plans to ban all semi-automatic military style firearms along with a buy back scheme. 

So sensibly following in the footsteps of the UK and Australia.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 21, 2019, 06:23:59 AM
Is Missouri full of guns manufacturer?

Not that I know of.  Just idiots.  The Rep who proposed it was just trolling.   :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2019, 11:25:09 AM
The Rep who proposed it was just trolling.   :rolleyes:

Using tax payer time for the LOLZ.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on November 08, 2018, 12:57:36 PM
QuoteNRA
Verified account

Someone should tell self-important  anti-gun doctors to stay in their lane. Half of the articles in Annals of Internal Medicine are pushing for gun control. Most upsetting, however, the medical community seems to have consulted NO ONE but themselves.

This has caused a minor Twitter backlash from doctors who, you know, treat gunshot wounds.

In Ontario, a group of pro-gun advocates actually attempted to bring a barrage of disciplinary complaints against a doc for being pro-gun-control (the regulator sensibly tossed them all in the trash).

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-ontario-doctors-college-dismisses-gun-control-complaints-against/

The "stay in your lane" phrase appears to be an imported slogan.

QuoteThe Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights (CCFR) started a campaign last month encouraging members to file complaints about Dr. Ahmed with the CPSO, using the "stay in your lane" mantra in online posts – the same line the U.S. National Rifle Association has directed at doctors advocating for stricter gun control.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on March 21, 2019, 12:52:49 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 08, 2018, 12:57:36 PM
QuoteNRA
Verified account

Someone should tell self-important  anti-gun doctors to stay in their lane. Half of the articles in Annals of Internal Medicine are pushing for gun control. Most upsetting, however, the medical community seems to have consulted NO ONE but themselves.

This has caused a minor Twitter backlash from doctors who, you know, treat gunshot wounds.

In Ontario, a group of pro-gun advocates actually attempted to bring a barrage of disciplinary complaints against a doc for being pro-gun-control (the regulator sensibly tossed them all in the trash).

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-ontario-doctors-college-dismisses-gun-control-complaints-against/

The "stay in your lane" phrase appears to be an imported slogan.

QuoteThe Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights (CCFR) started a campaign last month encouraging members to file complaints about Dr. Ahmed with the CPSO, using the "stay in your lane" mantra in online posts – the same line the U.S. National Rifle Association has directed at doctors advocating for stricter gun control.

I would think doctors would be SME's on gunshot wounds. I dunno maybe I'm out of bounds with that line of thought.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Quote from: Malthus on March 21, 2019, 04:59:20 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 21, 2019, 04:17:55 PM

I would think doctors would be SME's on gunshot wounds.

What is "SME"?

Subject Matter Expert.

But I disagree...not all (and probably relatively very few) doctors work in trauma wards.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 21, 2019, 05:00:50 PM

What is "SME"?

Subject Matter Expert.

But I disagree...not all (and probably relatively very few) doctors work in trauma wards.

Any doctor working in an emergency care facility would see them, but that might be what you mean by a trauma ward.

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 21, 2019, 05:00:50 PM

What is "SME"?

Subject Matter Expert.

I see.

While it may be the case that few docs work in trauma wards, the specific doctor in the article is one of them.

"Ontario's regulatory college for doctors has dismissed complaints lodged by members of a firearm advocacy group against a Toronto trauma surgeon advocating for tighter gun control."