American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

My main point I guess is that it seems superficially easy to legally get a gun that FAR outperforms the 3D one.

There's literally no reason whatsoever to get and carry one IF you are entitled to legally own and carry a weapon.

So, there can be only two reasons to ever have a 3D-printed gun:
1. you are a criminal/insane/etc and thus cannot buy a gun legally
2. you need to get it past a metal detector to do something illegal

As such, making this 3D-printed gun legal makes no fucking sense, and if you support the unregulated sell of its blueprints and the carrying of it, while opposing things like legalising light drugs and such, then you are a tribal moron.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on August 01, 2018, 11:25:06 AM
As such, making this 3D-printed gun legal makes no fucking sense, and if you support the unregulated sell of its blueprints and the carrying of it, while opposing things like legalising light drugs and such, then you are a tribal moron.

Outside of the US you are absolutely correct. Inside the US we have the second amendment whose limits are...um....unknown. So you might support it out of fanaticism for Constitutional purity above any worldly thing like what sort of policy makes the best practical sense for the public. In that context you can support this while opposing other things like buying booze on Sunday, because the Constitution does not guarantee a right to drinking on any particular day of the week.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah I don't really know why any normal person, or even a criminal, would bother aside from the novelty of it (or OMG MY RIGHTS) until you start getting in to using metal and such, which....you still might as well just buy one from a gun store or buy the parts and put it together if you want to have custom shit in it/can't buy one the legal way.   

Even the whole undetectable thing doesn't really work, since at the very least the bullets are going to be detectable.  I guess you could be like the dude in that one movie and put them in your lucky rabbit's foot keychain thing, and be a professional assassin who doesn't miss in the 1 or 2 shots you have. 

Then again, just because we can't think of a reason doesn't mean there isn't one or that it should just be automatically illegal either.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2018, 11:33:44 AM
the Constitution does not guarantee a right to drinking on any particular day of the week.

We need an amendment.

dps

Quote from: Tamas on August 01, 2018, 11:25:06 AM
My main point I guess is that it seems superficially easy to legally get a gun that FAR outperforms the 3D one.

There's literally no reason whatsoever to get and carry one IF you are entitled to legally own and carry a weapon.

So, there can be only two reasons to ever have a 3D-printed gun:
1. you are a criminal/insane/etc and thus cannot buy a gun legally
2. you need to get it past a metal detector to do something illegal

No, the 2 reasons are:

1)  Wanting to get it past metal detectors, and

2)  The novelty value.

Criminals have plenty of ways to get real firearms.  They wouldn't bother with this.

Valmy

Ok see 3D printing technology will get better and eventually they might be as good as real firearms. So they might bother in the future.

Just like once guns were inferior to longbows.

So let's not make any permanent legal precedents based on that assumption. Not that anybody here is a judge or something :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2018, 02:41:53 PM
Ok see 3D printing technology will get better and eventually they might be as good as real firearms. So they might bother in the future.

Just like once guns were inferior to longbows.

So let's not make any permanent legal precedents based on that assumption. Not that anybody here is a judge or something :P

No argument from me.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on August 01, 2018, 02:13:05 PM

Criminals have plenty of ways to get real firearms.  They wouldn't bother with this.

Everyone knows that as soon as you commit a felony you gain instant access to a vast black market arsenal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

No felony required, though purchasing one may be.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on August 25, 2018, 12:37:30 AM
'Bout time

https://m.facebook.com/LiberalGunClub/

I've seen a few leftwing pro-gun rights groups pop up, seemingly from the #resist thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2018, 09:10:04 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 25, 2018, 12:37:30 AM
'Bout time

https://m.facebook.com/LiberalGunClub/

I've seen a few leftwing pro-gun rights groups pop up, seemingly from the #resist thing.

It is not so fun when the gun clubs start talking about shooting your people instead of mine eh?

Anyway it would be nice if people kept guns for sports and home defense instead of the coming bloody revolution. That would be great.

Besides if we need guns for the coming bloody revolution we can just loot the nearest arsenal in the traditional revolutionary way. And by arsenal I mean a Walmart.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2018, 09:13:57 AM
It is not so fun when the gun clubs start talking about shooting your people instead of mine eh?

:huh:  I haven't heard them talk about shooting "my people".  To the extent that these folks are supporting the second amendment, and arming themselves for defense, I have zero problem with them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2018, 09:19:52 AM

:huh:  I haven't heard them talk about shooting "my people".  To the extent that these folks are supporting the second amendment, and arming themselves for defense, I have zero problem with them.

I mean #resist is not directed at criminals Spicey :P

But hey I was mostly joking. Mostly.

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2018, 09:36:42 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2018, 09:19:52 AM

I mean #resist is not directed at criminals Spicey :P

But hey I was mostly joking. Mostly.

They aren't.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".