American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2018, 02:42:51 PM

Not surprised it spiked-- the relentless news coverage, plus using the kids as unassailable political props was a pretty effective tactic.  But given a little time it'll drop back down to close to its previous level.  One reason we have a representative democracy and not a direct democracy is to buffer the whims of the populace.

I can say with all sincerity that the kids were the driving force in at least two situations that I'm aware of. In C-U, my old hometown, one of my daughter's friends was one of the organizers of the march there. And at one of the high schools here in Portland, the kids pushed out at least one adult who was trying to organize on their behalf.

It's pretty disingenuous to claim that these kids are being used rather than pushing for an agenda that they personally believe in.

EDIT: But apparently that's the GOP line.

Portland students 'brainwashed' against guns, Multnomah Co. Republicans say
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

frunk

Considering how cowardly the Democrats have been about guns for the past 20 years this seems like more of a reaction to the lack of action by the current political system rather than tools being manipulated by it.

merithyn

Quote from: frunk on April 04, 2018, 03:16:00 PM
Considering how cowardly the Democrats have been about guns for the past 20 years this seems like more of a reaction to the lack of action by the current political system rather than tools being manipulated by it.

That's my take on it, too. The kids are doing what the Democrats have been too scared to do, and shaming them in the process.

derspiess

Watched some of her videos and-- man, this youtube shooter vegan chick was friggin' weird as hell.  And that was one thick accent.  How long had she been in this country?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Yeah, letting kids talk about not getting shot is a "prop".

Jesus, you are one fucked up individual.

"Please stop shooting us in schools!"

"ZOMG THEY ARE BEING USED!!!!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Weren't you complaining about strawmen here recently?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2018, 03:42:28 PM
Weren't you complaining about strawmen here recently?

How is it a strawman to quote you? :unsure:

Not surprised it spiked-- the relentless news coverage, plus using the kids as unassailable political props was a pretty effective tactic.  But given a little time it'll drop back down to close to its previous level.  One reason we have a representative democracy and not a direct democracy is to buffer the whims of the populace.

Valmy

plus using the kids as unassailable political props was a pretty effective tactic.

Unassailable? I mean there are other ways to counter an argument besides ad hominem attacks. I mean despite what your experience on Languish might suggest :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2018, 03:51:33 PM
plus using the kids as unassailable political props was a pretty effective tactic.

Unassailable? I mean there are other ways to counter an argument besides ad hominem attacks. I mean despite what your experience on Languish might suggest :P

How is "unassailable" an ad hom attack?  Or is there a joke here I'm missing out on.

Eddie Teach

He's suggesting the kids testimony is assailable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2018, 03:55:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2018, 03:51:33 PM

How is "unassailable" an ad hom attack?  Or is there a joke here I'm missing out on.

I presumed you meant the kids were unassailable. :unsure: You called them 'unassailable political props' yes? Unless you were making a joke I don't get what you are talking about.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 04, 2018, 03:59:39 PM
He's suggesting the kids testimony is assailable.

That is not what he said though :hmm:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

dps

Quote from: merithyn on April 04, 2018, 02:52:37 PM
It's pretty disingenuous to claim that these kids are being used rather than pushing for an agenda that they personally believe in.

It's not mutually exclusive that they sincerely believe what they're saying and that they're being used.