American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

As for a conceal carry weapon, I still like the Walther PPK. I feel like Adolf Hitler when I have it strapped on.

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 05, 2013, 12:28:44 PM
As for a conceal carry weapon, I still like the Walther PPK. I feel like Adolf Hitler when I have it strapped on.

HEHE
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

You feel like you only have one ball? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on July 05, 2013, 01:57:33 PM

:pinch:

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on July 05, 2013, 01:57:33 PM

MAH SAFETY
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2013, 10:03:58 PM
Meanwhile, just another mild summer weekend in Mobtown...

QuoteSeventeen people were shot in 10 incidents across the city from Friday afternoon through early Sunday evening. Eight of those people — two women and six men — were killed.

Heh... we've had the same here, almost exact numbers, too. Except the whole "dying" part. Our shooters aren't as good of shots. No one's been killed yet, but a whole lot of injuries.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on July 05, 2013, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2013, 10:03:58 PM
Meanwhile, just another mild summer weekend in Mobtown...

QuoteSeventeen people were shot in 10 incidents across the city from Friday afternoon through early Sunday evening. Eight of those people — two women and six men — were killed.

Heh... we've had the same here, almost exact numbers, too. Except the whole "dying" part. Our shooters aren't as good of shots. No one's been killed yet, but a whole lot of injuries.

Well that's a plus.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

QuoteMan fires gun in celebration of Fourth, wounds great-granddaughter
Baltimorean, 82, said he fired indoors for safety, wound up hitting 17-year-old

By Scott Dance, The Baltimore Sun

Lassiter Basket bought his .22-caliber handgun in 1963 and in recent years has fired it just twice a year — on New Year's Eve and the Fourth of July. He says he uses blanks for safety and shoots in the privacy of his Forest Park row house.

"Other people fire firecrackers," the white-haired 82-year-old said. "It's just a noisemaker."

But on Thursday, police say Basket had live ammunition in his gun when he fired off a round that blasted through the wall of his great-granddaughter's bedroom. While the 17-year-old escaped with minor wounds to her wrists and leg, the shooting serves as another reminder of the dangers of celebratory gunfire.

Basket said police are "mistaken" and that he's certain that he had a blank in the chamber, but Detective Angela Carter-Watson, a police spokeswoman, said investigators recovered evidence of a real bullet at the scene.

For years, officials have urged residents to refrain from celebratory gunfire as injuries mount. Celebratory gunfire this past New Year's Eve claimed the life of a Cecil County girl. In 2011, a falling bullet injured a 4-year-old boy at Fourth of July celebrations at the Inner Harbor.

Basket took Tashira Holley, his great-granddaughter, to a local hospital shortly before midnight Thursday.

He said he had walked out of his bedroom on the second floor, pointed the handgun down the hall and pulled the trigger, confident he had loaded it with blanks he keeps in a purple cloth bag that once held a bottle of Crown Royal whiskey. He said he keeps his real ammunition separate, in a Remington box.

To his surprise, the bullet wasn't harmless.

"She said, 'Granddad, I'm hit,' and I said, 'You can't be,' " Basket said.

Doctors tended to Holley's wounds and X-rayed her wrists but found no life-threatening injuries. Holley sat on the front porch of her house Friday with gauze bandages around both wrists, which were resting in her lap over pink Snoopy pajama pants.

"I wasn't surprised when it happened, but I was surprised when I saw the blood," Holley said. "I'm glad it's all right."

Other recent incidents have turned out to be more serious.

Ten-year-old Aaliyah Boyer was in an Elkton yard watching fireworks with her family on New Year's Eve when she fell to the ground. Initially, her family thought she had fainted, but it quickly became clear that she was severely injured. She died after two days on life support.

Police were unable to trace where the bullet came from, and there is no law in that part of the state barring celebratory gunfire.

In 2011, Kavin Benson, a 4-year-old celebrating the Fourth of July with his family at the Inner Harbor, suffered a dime-size wound near his hip from a falling bullet. The slug lodged behind his femur, where doctors were obliged to leave it. He has recovered. No one was ever charged.

Many local governments, including in Baltimore and Baltimore County, have passed laws that prohibit the "unlawful discharge" of guns. Exceptions include self-defense, licensed target ranges, and some military and hunting occasions.

Basket said he kept his celebratory gunfire indoors and used blanks out of safety concerns. He stood by a citizen's right to bear arms.

"I think guns are necessary for people who know how to use them," Basket said. "If you don't have a way of protecting yourself, police are not going to be here to give you help."

Police have not charged Basket with any crime, but officers are consulting with the state's attorney's office about the matter, Carter-Watson said. Officers seized his weapon Thursday night, and he does not plan to replace it.

"It won't happen again because I'm not buying anything else," Basket said. "I have to now depend on the Police Department to do their job."

MadBurgerMaker

Fired indoors for safety?  Good call, dude.  :lol:

11B4V

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 05, 2013, 09:49:26 PM
Fired indoors for safety?  Good call, dude.  :lol:

Seemed like a good idea at the time.  :lol:

derspiess

Jim Carrey is sorry for calling me a heartless motherfucker!  :wub:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on July 08, 2013, 11:25:21 AM
Jim Carrey is sorry for calling me a heartless motherfucker!  :wub:

I wish he'd apologize for his movies he's made lately.