American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Fuck the fishin pole and other silly crap. Damn right bitches.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I can't think of less effective way to fish.  Except maybe throwing brochures into the water to entice the fish to jump into the boat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2013, 03:42:46 AM
I can't think of less effective way to fish.  Except maybe throwing brochures into the water to entice the fish to jump into the boat.

I don't know the above guy could go the whole hog and just dangle his epice sized wang over the side like a fishing rod.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Meanwhile, just another mild summer weekend in Mobtown...

QuoteSeventeen people were shot in 10 incidents across the city from Friday afternoon through early Sunday evening. Eight of those people — two women and six men — were killed.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2013, 10:03:58 PM
Meanwhile, just another mild summer weekend in Mobtown...

QuoteSeventeen people were shot in 10 incidents across the city from Friday afternoon through early Sunday evening. Eight of those people — two women and six men — were killed.

whats with summer heat a murder? People getting cranky?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on June 24, 2013, 07:57:45 AM
whats with summer heat a murder? People getting cranky?

Yeah, but it when it gets too hot, people don't do anything, killing or otherwise.  Just too damned hot.

This weekend wasn't too hot but rather pretty--which makes it even likelier to have shootings, since everybody is out and about, enjoying life until it ends abruptly. 
Toss in a full moon, and you have a 99% chance of raining bullets.

You can always see a jump in shootings during a cool streak in the early summer, just like you see a jump in shootings during a warm streak in the early fall.  Makes 'em all twitchy like.   You can set your watch to it.

Hell, I was taking vM and his Missus on a short tour downtown and we rolled through part of the 'hood.  All the natives were out.  That makes for a target rich environment.

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on June 23, 2013, 01:09:37 AM
Fuck the fishin pole and other silly crap. Damn right bitches.

Serious question: would an average gun work underwater?

I can't think of why it would not, assuming that the cartridges are watertight.

Would being underwater screw up the works somehow?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

ulmont

Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 09:19:40 AM
Serious question: would an average gun work underwater?

Yes, but poorly.

QuoteTory made sure that there was no air in the barrel because, if there was, the barrel could explode.

The first up was the 9mm. Without a ballistics gel target, the bullet went 18 ft. This answered the first question: yes, you can fire a regular gun underwater (confirmed). The 9mm bullet was intact, but the casing wasn't ejected from the gun. Instead, it was stuck in the slide, so you would only get one shot underwater.

Now they had verified that you can fire a gun underwater, they moved onto testing lethality. In the original episode, they found that a 9mm gun fired into water was lethal at 8ft. No so for a bullet fired underwater: the 9mm bullet didn't even come close to penetrating the target at 10ft. They next moved the target to 2ft, at which point they couldn't find the bullet. Same with the .357 magnum: they lost the bullet when fired at 2ft from the target.

Back at the shop they dissected the ballistics gel block and found the 9mm at 4" deep and the .357 magnum at 5.5", i.e. both would be lethal at 2ft.
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/episode_51_myths_reopened.html

See also:
http://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/what-happens-when-you-fire-a-pistol-underwater-1414525/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/02/firing-guns-under-water-andrew-tuohy-video_n_1929909.html

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on June 29, 2013, 07:59:33 PM
Killed Someone In Self Defense, Now What ? 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B667sHbfwAQ&nofeather=True
Good find.  :thumbsup:  Don't shoot anyone in self-defense until you watch this video.

11B4V

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2013, 09:59:36 PM
Good find.  :thumbsup:  Don't shoot anyone in self-defense until you watch this video.

I liked the petition at the bottom.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2013, 10:15:53 PM

I'm unfamilar with Moveon.org. Dont even know what they do.

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on June 29, 2013, 10:38:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2013, 10:15:53 PM

I'm unfamilar with Moveon.org. Dont even know what they do.

Do you live under a rock / read nothing posted on Languish?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.