Question for breeders: why the freak out over cheating?

Started by Martinus, October 24, 2011, 04:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: The Brain on October 25, 2011, 08:55:15 AM
Quote from: PDH on October 25, 2011, 08:52:53 AM
I am too lazy to read the whole fucking article, especially since Mart trolled at the opening, but has anyone said it is because we have a social system where monogamy is the norm and that behavior is therefore enculturated and nourished (even if it is not 100% practised)?

Your explanation doesn't explain.
tldr
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Fidelity is also good for your bank balance and personal happiness.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 25, 2011, 09:50:57 AM
Fidelity is also good for your bank balance and personal happiness.

I like Fidelity as well but there are other good asset managers and brokerages out there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

To the original question. You should know this Martinus, you are a catholic after all.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2011, 05:03:35 AM
It's unreasonable. It's like showing your affection and loyalty by starving yourself or refraing from peeing for days. If the object of your affection forces you to refrain from satisfying your basic biological needs, then perhaps he/she is unworthy of this affection in the first place?

See, this is where the equality of genders went in the wrong direction. It used to be that men were allowed to fuck around and only women were expected to keep faithful (for obvious reasons, associated with bastardy and feudal system). Now that this system went away, the correct response should have been to give women as much freedom as men - and not by shackling men in the same kind of bondage as women used to be forced into.

I guess I just disagree. To me, the most intimate I can be with someone is during sex. To share that intimacy with someone else would feel disloyal and wrong to me. There is a part of me that really hopes that Max would not want to share that intimacy with anyone else, either. If he did, I would be hurt - probably a bit angry - but it wouldn't end our marriage. It would be a time to sit down and talk about what's going on, what he wants out of our relationship, and what we can do to build a stronger marriage.

I have nothing against the way that you live your life, Marti, but it's not how I want to live mine. I've done things your way before and it was an empty, awful life for me. I prefer the dedicated, monogamous lifestyle to the decadent, do as I want when I want lifestyle.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Marty doesn't love anyone, so the idea is strange to him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the real thing I crave is stability. I want to know that he will be there for me, will take care of me, let me take care of him, and that we are a partnership in life. If he's off with other women, that undermines that stability.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Faeelin

Hrm. I would turn this around, Marti; why do you like having sex with strangers so much that you would want to do it with someone you would prefer it over a monogamous relationship?

I mean, I get it, sex is fun; but people prefer monogamy for a reason.

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on October 26, 2011, 12:03:36 AM

I think you need a qualifier in there like many or possibly most.

Also, just because someone isn't monogamous doesn't mean they are having sex with strangers. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2011, 07:10:55 AM

Also, just because someone isn't monogamous doesn't mean they are having sex with strangers. :huh:
Yeah, a teeny bit of excluded middle there!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2011, 08:39:48 AM

Yeah, I'm sure Faeelin and Meri would both look at it differently if they caught the SOs cheating with someone they actuallly know, rather than a complete stranger.  That would make it soooo much better.   :)

garbon

Quote from: dps on October 26, 2011, 03:52:03 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2011, 08:39:48 AM

Yeah, I'm sure Faeelin and Meri would both look at it differently if they caught the SOs cheating with someone they actuallly know, rather than a complete stranger.  That would make it soooo much better.   :)

I don't think that's relevant to grumbler or my comments.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.