Question for breeders: why the freak out over cheating?

Started by Martinus, October 24, 2011, 04:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 25, 2011, 02:50:50 AM
What about showing your affection and loyalty entails that a reward will follow?

It's a fine way to show how much you care, and that should be its own reward.

Loyalty is a reward in and of itself?

Lettow is off camera just to the left.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2011, 02:35:16 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2011, 02:26:36 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2011, 11:33:25 PM
Of course, a happy couple doesn't normally have to deal with a third wheel, so to speak.

See, that's where I think you are wrong and where the root of the problem with the freak out lies.

I don't claim to even fathom the psychology of women, but if straight men are anything like gay men, sometimes you just want to try something new on the side. And there nothing is truer than the old bon mot "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to succumb to it." Then, if the temptation like this arises and the person in the relationship attempts to resist it, it just sours the relationship, causes resentment and "inexplicable" animosity (I've been there, being once in a relationship with a jealous monogamy freak). On the other hand, every time I "cheat" on my current boyfriend, I go back to him being affectionate to him even more afterwards.

I think people freak out exactly because they make the same erroneous assumption as you do - if my partner cheats on me, this means our relationship is likely unhappy. It's not true.

heh. An other way to look at it though, is that you show your affection and loyalty by not chasing every fucking tail you find attractive.

It's unreasonable. It's like showing your affection and loyalty by starving yourself or refraing from peeing for days. If the object of your affection forces you to refrain from satisfying your basic biological needs, then perhaps he/she is unworthy of this affection in the first place?

See, this is where the equality of genders went in the wrong direction. It used to be that men were allowed to fuck around and only women were expected to keep faithful (for obvious reasons, associated with bastardy and feudal system). Now that this system went away, the correct response should have been to give women as much freedom as men - and not by shackling men in the same kind of bondage as women used to be forced into.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2011, 05:03:35 AM
See, this is where the equality of genders went in the wrong direction. It used to be that men were allowed to fuck around and only women were expected to keep faithful (for obvious reasons, associated with bastardy and feudal system). Now that this system went away, the correct response should have been to give women as much freedom as men - and not by shackling men in the same kind of bondage as women used to be forced into.

I think your chronology is a bit off. The expectation of fidelity in husbands came around long before gender equality.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 25, 2011, 05:58:37 AM

I think your chronology is a bit off. The expectation of fidelity in husbands came around long before gender equality.

I blame Victoria and Albert.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on October 25, 2011, 01:07:07 AM
Cinema has more straight romances than gay romances. Straight romances are so generic and boring that movie producers need to have something go awry in them, at least for a while, to sell tickets. Gay romances in movies on the other hand are still quaint and different and have their hurdles in getting started.
This says nothing about straight people freaking out over cheating more than gays in real life.

???
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2011, 02:20:39 AM
I suspect I have more sex on the side than he does at the moment.

Who said anything about sex? Since when did you start having that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

There are evolutionary reasons for straight men and women to frown on cheating partners. There are no such reasons for gay men to feel the same.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 25, 2011, 05:58:37 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2011, 05:03:35 AM

Yeah, what is he talking about?

Tamas

I think Marty should ask like, all the animal species in the world, about why the males engage in often extremely dangerous confrontations over who gets to mate with the females, instead of just taking turns.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2011, 07:45:30 AM
I think Marty should ask like, all the animal species in the world, about why the males engage in often extremely dangerous confrontations over who gets to mate with the females, instead of just taking turns.

actually... the shape of the head of the penis is ideal for removing any previously deposited "donations".. so yeah, evolution has made us well suited for taking turns, with the guy going last getting the best shot.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2011, 02:33:15 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 25, 2011, 01:07:07 AM
Cinema has more straight romances than gay romances. Straight romances are so generic and boring that movie producers need to have something go awry in them, at least for a while, to sell tickets. Gay romances in movies on the other hand are still quaint and different and have their hurdles in getting started.
This says nothing about straight people freaking out over cheating more than gays in real life.

Ok. It's just that from anecdotal evidence it seems like cheating in hetero couples is a big deal. For example, in most of divorcees I know, cheating was quoted as the prime reason for the divorce (unless of course it was just a convenient excuse).

To my mind, many of the differences anecdotally observed between gay & straight relationships have to do with social acceptance of said relationships.

In the past, and still in many places in the present, gay relationships were clandestine because homosexuality was not accepted by society. Therefore, making a virtue out of necessity, gay people adopted many of the mannerisms of hetero secret lovers (generally, adulterers): furtive sex, with or without emotional pair-bonding.

As homosexuality became accepted and gays moved for, and obtained equal rights, they sought & gained in some places the rights to be normal, socially-recognized couples - such as gay marriage, rights to adopt children as couples, etc.

Naturally, for a group who through social persecution were forced to live 'in the closet' and engage in furtive relationships, fidelity would not be the most significant virtue. My prediction is that this will change in lockstep with increased social acceptance. The reason is that fidelity is primarily the virtue needed to form stable, recognized and lasting relationships, and is praised and practiced whenever such relationships are held up as the ideal.

This has nothing to do with biological determinism and everything to do with social structure. For examplke, in ancient Greece fidelity among homosexual partners was encouraged in some places because it added stability to the phalanx in war. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

I am too lazy to read the whole fucking article, especially since Mart trolled at the opening, but has anyone said it is because we have a social system where monogamy is the norm and that behavior is therefore enculturated and nourished (even if it is not 100% practised)?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on October 25, 2011, 08:52:53 AM
I am too lazy to read the whole fucking article, especially since Mart trolled at the opening, but has anyone said it is because we have a social system where monogamy is the norm and that behavior is therefore enculturated and nourished (even if it is not 100% practised)?

Right above your post.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Your explanation doesn't explain.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Quote from: Malthus on October 25, 2011, 08:53:54 AM

Right above your post.  :D
tldr
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM