Question for breeders: why the freak out over cheating?

Started by Martinus, October 24, 2011, 04:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So I watched another movie recently where the central plot was the guy cheating on his wife once and then she freaking out over it for a year or so and them trying to "rebuild it" and whatnot.

So my question is: are you heteros really like that? Is this so much of a big deal if your partner cheats on you (assuming this is really a small fling or a one night stand, and there are no complications/consequences out of this, like STDs, or unwanted pregnancies and whatnot?) and is not leaving you?

For most gays I've talked to such behavior would seem abnormally hysterical - if you like to be with someone, what does it matter if they have an occasional sex on the side. So is this like another Hollywood cliche, or do you guys really freak out over cheating?

grumbler

My impression is that gays are more inclined to be hysterical over cheating, based on the gays I've talked to.  My guess would be that you know as much about heteros as you do about the US.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Some sort of biological/reproductional imperative, I would presume. Anything else would surprise me.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on October 24, 2011, 04:24:40 PM
My impression is that gays are more inclined to be hysterical over cheating, based on the gays I've talked to.  My guess would be that you know as much about heteros as you do about the US.

Or gays.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on October 24, 2011, 04:24:40 PM

What the hell are you talking about? I asked a question whether a behavior often found in movies is real - where the hell do I claim to "know about heteros?" Are you retarded or just drunk?

Lettow77

I realize I cannot speak for everyone, but infidelity is the only unpardonable sin in a relationship I can think of offhand. I would cast out a woman who betrayed my faith in such a way, and so would most people I know, male and female.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on October 24, 2011, 04:20:47 PM
So I watched another movie recently where the central plot was the guy cheating on his wife once and then she freaking out over it for a year or so and them trying to "rebuild it" and whatnot.

Yes, I too use fiction as a fundamental basis for figuring out how the world works.
Now, stop using Hollywood to try to understand "us Breeders".

Having some personal experience in this, I didn't cheat, she did; with me  :wink: . They used her getting caught to hash out some of the real problems in their relationship; which to my knowledge will still be over when the youngest is old enough to tell mommy if daddy got drunk and hit her. What we do know (from autobiographies and divorce proceedings) is that it does happen and people don't seem to freak out about it long term. People either hash it out there and then or they move on. For gods sake, look at Bill and Hillary. People are much more practical than Hollywood gives them credit for, but then again, if the plot had been man cheats gets caught, they talk it out and resolve their issues in the first act then there wouldn't have been much of a movie. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

There are things called "emotional bonds".  You wouldn't understand.

The Minsky Moment

I recently saw a movie as well.  It takes place a long, long time ago.  Since there are a lot of history buffs here who know about weaponry, I was wondering - is it really true that a trained guy with a laser sword can deflect bullets from a laser gun?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 24, 2011, 04:38:56 PM
I recently saw a movie as well.  It takes place a long, long time ago.  Since there are a lot of history buffs here who know about weaponry, I was wondering - is it really true that a trained guy with a laser sword can deflect bullets from a laser gun?
As Almanzo Hiyabashi wrote in his famous Book of 7.6 Rings, "Fuckin' A you fuck that shit up."
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2011, 04:34:38 PM

Indeed. When one is paying a "lover", one can't really demand exclusivity as said lover pays his bills from the generosity of many.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2011, 04:48:25 PM

Indeed. When one is paying a "lover", one can't really demand exclusivity as said lover pays his bills from the generosity of many.
Foot, meat scrotum.  :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 24, 2011, 04:38:56 PM

Is there tackling involved?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2011, 04:51:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2011, 04:48:25 PM

Foot, meat scrotum.  :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

meat?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus