News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on December 21, 2011, 09:46:04 AM
i'm having trouble keepign my bounty hunter neutral. the evil options are just needlessly evil with no real point. I'm a BBer :( :P

Also, i spend too much time crafting.

:hug:

The Republic dark side options are much more interesting for the most part.  Instead of being evil for evil's sake, they usually involve cutting corners / taking shortcuts for "the greater good" (or decisions for personal gain).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Can someone give an explanation of how light side and dark side choices affect game play.  eg what would happen if I played a Sith that had a light side type alignment?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 21, 2011, 07:37:39 AM
I thought for sure I would play the Sith, partly because I thought most people would be playing Jedi.

You clearly are unfamiliar with the MMORPG demographic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 21, 2011, 09:55:26 AM
Can someone give an explanation of how light side and dark side choices affect game play.  eg what would happen if I played a Sith that had a light side type alignment?
As far as i can tell it effects 3 things. the colour crystal you can use, how your companionsview you (affection) and some items you can buy in the space station (light side and dark side vendors). probably more, but that's all i noticed.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 09:56:10 AM
I thought for sure I would play the Sith, partly because I thought most people would be playing Jedi.

When WoW came out most people went Alliance - which was great for those of us who went Horde because when pvp content was added horde didnt have long wait times to enter the pvp content. I thought the same thing would happen again.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on December 21, 2011, 09:59:30 AM
As far as i can tell it effects 3 things. the colour crystal you can use, how your companionsview you (affection) and some items you can buy in the space station (light side and dark side vendors). probably more, but that's all i noticed.

Will a Sith companion be adversey affected if the player has a light side alignment or does the companion develop the same way as their master?

Barrister

YOu can absolutely play a light side sith, or a dark side jedi.  Your light side / dark side rating is completely independent of which faction you are.

There are two gameplay effects.  The primary one is gear - certain gear requires certain levels of light side or dark side.  There is gear you can purchase, but also gear you can find and craft that has such requirements.  This, by the way, has the effect of being in the middle somewhat harmful, as you can't access either set of gear.  Lightsaber colour crystals are an example of this - your jedi can only use a red crystal if you have a certain level of dark side points.

There is also a visual effect of 'dark side corruption' as you fall deeper and deeper, but I don't know much about it.  It's also optional.

Companion affection is not tied directly to light side / dark side.  Their affection is tied simply to the decisions you make in various conversations.  Some companions will prefer options that are generally light side or dark side, but there's not an automatic connection.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 21, 2011, 10:02:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 09:56:10 AM

When WoW came out most people went Alliance - which was great for those of us who went Horde because when pvp content was added horde didnt have long wait times to enter the pvp content. I thought the same thing would happen again.

Two things:

-Everyone knows that is what happened with WoW, so they're compensating by going to what is perceived to be the horde equivalent right off the bat.

-The attraction of the Alliance in WoW wasn't so much about being 'good', as about being pretty.  Nobody wanted to play a bunch of ugly monsters.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 21, 2011, 10:04:32 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 21, 2011, 09:59:30 AM

Will a Sith companion be adversey affected if the player has a light side alignment or does the companion develop the same way as their master?

Depends on the companion.  I know the first Sith Warrior companion is a twi'lek slave girl who prefers if you take more 'light' options, whereas the sith inquisitor first companion is some evil force monster who prefers if you take evry dark side options.

Companion affection isn't all that important though.  You can get some kind of bonuses if your companion thinks highly of you (and of course there are the romance options at high affection), but even if your companion hates your guts they won't abandon you or stop working with you.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 21, 2011, 10:02:43 AM

That was because of the Night Elves.  They were like dark and cool and stuff.  And the Horde races were ugly.

Dark Elves equivalents and the lack of cool factor for the Horde were killers.  But generally in these games the bad guys dominate if they are glamorous enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Thanks for the info guys.  If my old guild hadnt gone Sith it sounds like I would propably choose the Jedi side given what you guys have said. 

katmai

Join us CC and together we will rule the Galaxy!!!1
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Drakken

Queue, what queue? Most of the NA servers were light to me.

HVC

Quote from: Drakken on December 21, 2011, 10:51:51 AM
Queue, what queue? Most of the NA servers were light to me.
wait until after 4:30 and you'll see which were the prelaunch servers :P