Help Cal choose a new car

Started by Caliga, October 18, 2011, 08:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on December 17, 2011, 08:12:55 PM
:huh:

You're confused, because it's quite common to tow you boat in to work on the morning commute ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on December 17, 2011, 08:12:55 PM
:huh:

Well, at least to me a car to be used for everyday commuting and a car used to tow heavy stuff are two completely different things with completely different features, unless you're a construction contractor or something.

Caliga

Most midsize SUVs are capable of towing a boat like mine, and around here they're probably the majority of the cars on the road, every day.  Don't pretend you didn't already know that. :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on November 05, 2011, 03:22:42 PM
Just got back from car shopping... haven't bought anything yet, but Princesca liked the following models best:  Ford Explorer, GMC Envoy, and Chevy Trailblazer.  For some reason it's very hard to find lightly-used Explorers around here, which is odd since they're all over the road due to there being so many Ford employees who can buy them with steep discounts.

My sister is very happy with her GMC Acadia.  I'd avoid the Trailblazers;  consistently underpowered, and transmission issues even after all these years.

I like the Toyota FJ Cruiser, but forget it if you're going to haul more than two people, and they're a wee overpriced for what you get.

Do what I did;  head to Wrangler Country. A 4 door Jeep is a blast.

Caliga

Yeah, we did buy a car (read on), but I eventually talked her out of considering a Trailblazer.  My dad used to have one and it dropped the transmission on him twice. :bleeding:  He now has a Nissan Rogue, or as I call it "the fagwagon". :cool:

CountDeMoney

Caliga

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on December 18, 2011, 08:21:03 AM
Most midsize SUVs are capable of towing a boat like mine, and around here they're probably the majority of the cars on the road, every day.  Don't pretend you didn't already know that. :P

A SUV seems like a completely unsuitable car for everyday commuting in my book.  :P Way too big, way too wasteful. Since when did Princesca turn into a soccer mom?

Caliga

If I could fit three cars in my garage, I would, but we've only got room for two. :bowler:

Barrister

Yeah, my Tacoma is really too big and uses too much gas to be much of a commuter vehicle, however the option of having two separate vehicles seems equally expensive.  Remember it's not just the cost of the vehicle itself, you also have to keep insurance on both vehicles as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

:yes:

Just like I'll never understand how Euros can drive those gay little Smart cars, they'll never understand us either. :hug:

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2011, 10:36:20 AM
Yeah, my Tacoma is really too big and uses too much gas to be much of a commuter vehicle, however the option of having two separate vehicles seems equally expensive.  Remember it's not just the cost of the vehicle itself, you also have to keep insurance on both vehicles as well.

Depending on where you live the parking space might be much more expensive than the insurance. I guess that you guys have big houses with plenty of space to park a couple of cars in them without much effort, right?

CountDeMoney