Main Menu

Spock is gay!

Started by Martinus, October 17, 2011, 01:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 17, 2011, 08:35:14 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2011, 02:17:13 AM
There aren't many out young actors.
are there that many gays to being with?  Is there a lower proportion of gay actors than in the general population?

This is acting.  It's like gay central.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on October 17, 2011, 04:06:24 AM
:unsure:
I thought he'd done this ages ago?

It's not official until Marty finds out and makes a thread about it.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Cecil

Thats the general feeling these days about gays coming out, mine included.

garbon

Quote from: Cecil on October 17, 2011, 10:54:32 AM

That if Marti hasn't found out and made a thread - it isn't official? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Valmy that was funny, you shouldn't have deleted it! ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

So you own a few gays eh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2011, 10:58:27 AM
Valmy that was funny, you shouldn't have deleted it! ^_^

There you go garbon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Cecil

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2011, 11:02:28 AM

So you own a few gays eh?

That fell rather flat even by languish standards.

Valmy

Quote from: Cecil on October 17, 2011, 11:07:30 AM

That was why I deleted it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2011, 11:08:30 AM

It was my first thought when I read Cecil's post.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2011, 11:08:30 AM

Fuck that.  It was funny.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: viper37 on October 17, 2011, 08:35:14 AM
are there that many gays to being with?  Is there a lower proportion of gay actors than in the general population?
:lol: 

Maybe if this were the 90s.
I think it's still the case.

QuoteJust because he played the role once in a questionable attempt at revival (and otherwise being a nobody) does not justify to call him "Spock". Nimoy still owns that brand.
He wasn't quite a nobody.  Heroes was pretty big (and the first series was really good).  Also I thought Star Trek was brilliant.  I think they managed to get the spirit of it incredibly well without being slaveishly dull or just copying the original. Kirk's especially good, it's clearly the same character but it's not simply a Shatner impersonation.

QuoteI kind of like just having them be a blank slate and knowing them only by their work.
I respect actors who keep their lives private - Gary Oldman, for example, simply refuses to answer questions on his personal life.  But I don't think that's always possible, especially for young reasonably good looking ones who will be followed by the press - this means he can probably live his life reasonably comfortably and not worry about who could be photographing him.  Equally Ian McKellen-style gay activism doesn't bother me or change how I see his work.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2011, 01:48:29 PM
I think it's still the case.

Chris Colfer while not a well-known name, definitely is pretty well known in America by appearance and he's only 21.  Zachary Quinto is 34 which makes him not really that much different from Neil Patrick Harris and TR Knight.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2011, 02:03:01 PMChris Colfer while not a well-known name, definitely is pretty well known in America by appearance and he's only 21.  Zachary Quinto is 34 which makes him not really that much different from Neil Patrick Harris and TR Knight.
I don't know Colfer or Knight I'm afraid.  But four examples out of all of the film and TV industry when we're talking gay actors hardly invalidates my point. 
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2011, 02:08:10 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2011, 02:03:01 PMChris Colfer while not a well-known name, definitely is pretty well known in America by appearance and he's only 21.  Zachary Quinto is 34 which makes him not really that much different from Neil Patrick Harris and TR Knight.
I don't know Colfer or Knight I'm afraid.  But four examples out of all of the film and TV industry when we're talking gay actors hardly invalidates my point. 

Glee and Grey's Anatomy respectively.

I wasn't even trying with that list just think of young(ish) gay actors that are out. My point is that the situation is improving...although not perhaps for the roles of leading mean which I think is something Rupert Everett wisely called out.