And we're back!

Main Menu

For the archaeology nerds

Started by Jacob, October 24, 2011, 10:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2011, 10:11:29 AM
Intact Viking ship burial site found in Scotland: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111023143850.htm

Yeah, I saw a something a teaser on CNN about that yesterday, but they never gave up the story.  I had to go to website to find it.  Interestingly it's a pagan burial, which is somewhat uncommon in the 11th century.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2011, 10:18:12 AM
[Yeah, I saw a something a teaser on CNN about that yesterday, but they never gave up the story.  I had to go to website to find it.  Interestingly it's a pagan burial, which is somewhat uncommon in the 11th century.
The story says tenth century, so pagan burial would have been expected.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

The BBC reports that the burial is from the 10th century.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-15333852

Also, the location is in an area squabbled over by the Kings of Norway and Scotland and the Lord of the Isles......a good place to retain some good old-fashioned paganism  :cool:

The Brain

So his soul wasn't able to make it to Heaven?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

derspiess

Hmm, so they *did* make it there after all.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on October 24, 2011, 12:58:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2011, 10:18:12 AM
[Yeah, I saw a something a teaser on CNN about that yesterday, but they never gave up the story.  I had to go to website to find it.  Interestingly it's a pagan burial, which is somewhat uncommon in the 11th century.
The story says tenth century, so pagan burial would have been expected.

Okay, the CNN story said it was around the time of William the Conqueror.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017