Main Menu

Spock is gay!

Started by Martinus, October 17, 2011, 01:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 17, 2011, 08:35:14 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2011, 02:17:13 AM
There aren't many out young actors.
are there that many gays to being with?  Is there a lower proportion of gay actors than in the general population?

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I have to say I am not a big fan of knowing much about actors and actresses personal lives.  Like knowing an actor is married and seeing them kissing somebody else or whatever.  It is not that I think what I am seeing on the screen is real or anything just that it is easier to suspend my disbelief if I don't know that Michael C Hall is not actually gay when watching Six Feet Under. I kind of like just having them be a blank slate and knowing them only by their work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2011, 08:48:17 AM
I have to say I am not a big fan of knowing much about actors and actresses personal lives.  Like knowing an actor is married and seeing them kissing somebody else or whatever.  It is not that I think what I am seeing on the screen is real or anything just that it is easier to suspend my disbelief if I don't know that Michael C Hall is not actually gay when watching Six Feet Under. I kind of like just having them be a blank slate and knowing them only by their work.

You'd better find a pretty big cave to hide yourself in then.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on October 17, 2011, 01:56:34 AM
BTW, the REAL Spock is not gay, is on his second marriage and has two kids.

While checking up I found out both Nimoy and Shatner are Ukrainian Jews.

You know that special "live long and prosper" Vulcan hand-gesture? Jewish.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2011, 08:51:02 AM

Since I have started actively trying not to know it is alot easier than I thought. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2011, 08:51:46 AM

I knew that. :nerd:

Valmy

Really?  What does it mean?

My son does it all the time naturally.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2011, 08:53:07 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2011, 08:51:02 AM

Since I have started actively trying not to know it is alot easier than I thought. 

What does that entail exactly?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I thought you were going to point out that it was a gay hand gesture. :weep:

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2011, 08:59:22 AM

That I don't know.  I just remember seeing the non-gay Spock describe that as a kid in temple there was one part of the service where everyone was supposed to turn around away from the rabbi, and being a kid he looked back at the rabbi who was making that hand gesture.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2011, 08:59:22 AM

It's a ritual blessing given by Kohens. Here it is on a gravestone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Grave_Rabbi_Meschullam_Kohn.jpg

:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priestly_Blessing

QuoteIn the mid-1960s, actor Leonard Nimoy, who was raised in a traditional Jewish home, used a single-handed version of this gesture to create the Vulcan Hand Salute for his character, Spock, on Star Trek. He has explained that while attending Orthodox services as a child, he peeked from under his father's tallit and saw the gesture; many years later, when introducing the character of Mr. Spock, he and series creator Gene Roddenberry thought a physical component should accompany the verbal "Live long and prosper" greeting. The Jewish priestly gesture looked sufficiently alien and mysterious, and became part of Star Trek lore.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2011, 08:59:54 AM
What does that entail exactly?

Staying away from TV news and not looking at the gossip rags in line at the store mostly.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2011, 09:02:47 AM

Awesome!  Thanks.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2011, 08:48:17 AM

Especially since Mister Hall is a notorious co-worker banger.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2011, 09:06:30 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2011, 09:02:47 AM

Awesome!  Thanks.

The funny part is that it really *does* mean something very much like "live long and prosper".  :D