Alex Salmond to let 16-year-olds vote in bid to secure independence

Started by jimmy olsen, October 10, 2011, 01:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 11:08:03 AM
Anyway, despite efforts - I don't think the demographic of the US is becoming whiter or more English. :unsure:
But they still assimilate to the general US culture.  And there's no specific exceptions in the laws of the countries for a particular group.  No islamic tribunal, afaik.  No officially bilingual states for Spanish.  Unilingual states, howere, do exists, like California and Arizona.  That ain't exactly multi-cultural.  One could argue that building a fence around the country, on its southern border as well as its norther border ain't exactly a sign of opening to immigration.

Blacks may have a different skin color, but their culture have merged with the general white population.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2011, 11:08:35 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2011, 10:55:49 AM
I think you missed the point.  How about this, would it be acceptable if French had the same status as First nation languages in Quebec and the rest of Canada?  I don't think the law requires you be served in Cree on an Air Canada flight.  I don't think any First Nation language has the protection status as French.
Different matter entirely.
For once, most of the indians do not speak their ancient native language, they have assimilated to English&French for the most part.  It just wouldn't be practical for them.

What is this "Based on reservations" caveat?  I'm thinking of huge chunks of Canada.  The Francophones can have St. Lawrence river valley, the rest go to the Indians.
The claims were relinquished in various treaties with the British, the Canadians and later Quebec.  Indians that were expelled from the US by British, Americans or Iroquois have no claims in Canada, unfortunately.

Ah, so you aren't so keen on protecting their language.  Your definition of "protect" seems to be "don't overtly hinder to much".  Though apparently even reservations must be bilingual.  Like I said, you don't offer the same status to First Nation languages as the Anglophones offer to French.   Practical is not a consideration in Identity politics as the pro-Independence types in Quebec aptly demonstrate.

The French relinquished their claims on Quebec through treaties.  As the people of Quebec were French Subjects, those claims were relinquished on their behalf.  So using your logic, Quebec shouldn't be independent either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2011, 11:14:03 AM
Anyway, despite efforts - I don't think the demographic of the US is becoming whiter or more English. :unsure:
But they still assimilate to the general US culture.  And there's no specific exceptions in the laws of the countries for a particular group.  No islamic tribunal, afaik.  No officially bilingual states for Spanish.  Unilingual states, howere, do exists, like California and Arizona.  That ain't exactly multi-cultural.  One could argue that building a fence around the country, on its southern border as well as its norther border ain't exactly a sign of opening to immigration.

Blacks may have a different skin color, but their culture have merged with the general white population.

Culture is solely an artifact of language? :yeahright:

Also, you should probably get your facts straight. California's official language is English but about 1/4 of Californians speak Spanish as well and it looks like Arizona has a comparable statistic.  Additionally there is Spanish on many signs and products all over the southwest. According to wiki, some legal documents in New Mexico are required to have Spanish.

Oh and were you aware that in California it is no longer mandatory for employers to check immigration status? Illegal immigrants can also get financial aid and in-state tuition for college. Sounds exactly like a sign of being close to immigration. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2011, 11:14:03 AM

We also don't have any official language.  It would be difficult to claim that the culture of the US in 1811 is the same culture as that of 2011.  Saying they "assimilated" is inaccurate.  Hell most of us are descended from Germans.  Like me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2011, 11:29:50 AM
We also don't have any official language.  It would be difficult to claim that the culture of the US in 1811 is the same culture as that of 2011.  Saying they "assimilated" is inaccurate.  Hell most of us are descended from Germans.  Like me.

Actually many individual states do have official languages.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2011, 11:25:15 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2011, 10:55:49 AM
I think you missed the point.  How about this, would it be acceptable if French had the same status as First nation languages in Quebec and the rest of Canada?  I don't think the law requires you be served in Cree on an Air Canada flight.  I don't think any First Nation language has the protection status as French.
Different matter entirely.
For once, most of the indians do not speak their ancient native language, they have assimilated to English&French for the most part.  It just wouldn't be practical for them.

What is this "Based on reservations" caveat?  I'm thinking of huge chunks of Canada.  The Francophones can have St. Lawrence river valley, the rest go to the Indians.
The claims were relinquished in various treaties with the British, the Canadians and later Quebec.  Indians that were expelled from the US by British, Americans or Iroquois have no claims in Canada, unfortunately.

Ah, so you aren't so keen on protecting their language.  Your definition of "protect" seems to be "don't overtly hinder to much".  Though apparently even reservations must be bilingual.  Like I said, you don't offer the same status to First Nation languages as the Anglophones offer to French.   Practical is not a consideration in Identity politics as the pro-Independence types in Quebec aptly demonstrate.

The French relinquished their claims on Quebec through treaties.  As the people of Quebec were French Subjects, those claims were relinquished on their behalf.  So using your logic, Quebec shouldn't be independent either.

The Anglos, they offer nothing. We made it happen.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 12, 2011, 11:32:10 AM

The Anglos, they offer nothing. We made it happen.

There are lots of Democracies that don't extend such rights and privileges to minority languages.  France for example.  A minority doesn't force a majority to do something with out the majority allowing it to happen unless by force of arms.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 11:31:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2011, 11:29:50 AM

Actually many individual states do have official languages.

The Feds don't.  The states are like retarded children off getting into trouble.  They often do stupid things.  When they do, we just sigh and shake our head.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 11:06:51 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2011, 11:01:34 AM
If we nitpick on the small cultural differences, then of course, each individual is different, each family would represent a cultural identity in itself.

Not sure why you narrow down to the individual and then go macro by focusing on the family.
well, I don't know the english word for the term I'm seeking.  The smallest unit we analyzes in micro-economy.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maximus

Indians that were expelled from the US by British, Americans or Iroquois have no claims in Canada, unfortunately.
Do the Quebecois have claims within Canada?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 11:29:04 AM
Quebec sovereigntists have created some rather intricate philosophical constructions to try and justify their position.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 11:29:04 AM
No.  But it's the basis.

Also, you should probably get your facts straight. California's official language is English but about 1/4 of Californians speak Spanish as well and it looks like Arizona has a comparable statistic.  Additionally there is Spanish on many signs and products all over the southwest. According to wiki, some legal documents in New Mexico are required to have Spanish.
While the judicial system has noted that the laws are largely symbolic and non prohibitive, public school staff often interpret them to mean English is the mandatory language of daily life.[citation needed] In one instance, an elementary school bus driver prohibited students from speaking Spanish on their way to school after Colorado passed its legislation.[21] In 2004 in Scottsdale, a teacher claimed to be enforcing English immersion policies when she allegedly slapped students for speaking Spanish in class.[22] In 2005 in Kansas City, a student was suspended for speaking Spanish in the school hallways. The written discipline referral explaining the decision of the school to suspend the student for one and a half days, noted: "This is not the first time we have [asked] Zach and others to not speak Spanish at school." [23]

And this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition_227
No bilingual education for California.

Oh and were you aware that in California it is no longer mandatory for employers to check immigration status? Illegal immigrants can also get financial aid and in-state tuition for college. Sounds exactly like a sign of being close to immigration. :rolleyes:
Let's talk about Arizona.

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on October 12, 2011, 11:52:59 AM
Indians that were expelled from the US by British, Americans or Iroquois have no claims in Canada, unfortunately.
Do the Quebecois have claims within Canada?
Labrador.

Maximus

But not Quebec itself? Interesting. Upon what would you base this claim?