Uncle Herman Speaks:

Started by Jaron, October 09, 2011, 06:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

In Soviet Russia, math does you

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on October 10, 2011, 04:29:47 AM
In Soviet Russia, math does you

In Libertarian America, you don't bother doing math.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 09, 2011, 08:10:03 PM
Bah. See, Grumbler, this one successfully trolled me unlike that post by Marty you chided me for responding to the other day.
That Raz is a troll is a self-evident truth.  No need to point it out.  He uses the Yicratic method, but isn't Yi.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: ulmont on October 09, 2011, 10:03:13 PM
Uh-huh.  And how do the voting numbers come out again...keeping in mind that in the South you don't normally register by party, so you only know who's who each November?

You do in Florida, Louisiana, and North Carolina. In each of those states, there are more registered Democrats than Republicans.

If you want to define anybody who votes for the GOP in the Presidential races as a Republican, then sure, they'd be the majority. But then Berkut is a Democrat.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Does something need to be done on the Federal level in this area these days anyway?  I am not so sure we already have laws guaranteeing equal rights and outlawing discrimination based on race and so forth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2011, 07:55:53 AM
Does something need to be done on the Federal level in this area these days anyway?  I am not so sure we already have laws guaranteeing equal rights and outlawing discrimination based on race and so forth.

Stopping snitching would help.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on October 10, 2011, 07:46:17 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 09, 2011, 08:10:03 PM
Bah. See, Grumbler, this one successfully trolled me unlike that post by Marty you chided me for responding to the other day.
That Raz is a troll is a self-evident truth.  No need to point it out.  He uses the Yicratic method, but isn't Yi.

Aren't you a Herman fanboy or something?  Were you the one who said how impressive he was?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 10, 2011, 07:47:09 AM
Quote from: ulmont on October 09, 2011, 10:03:13 PM
Uh-huh.  And how do the voting numbers come out again...keeping in mind that in the South you don't normally register by party, so you only know who's who each November?

You do in Florida, Louisiana, and North Carolina. In each of those states, there are more registered Democrats than Republicans.

Yeah, and it becomes clear those numbers don't mean anything.

(R) (D)
Florida:  4,012,498 4,562,792
Louisiana  763,266 1,408,535
North Carolina  1,940,177 2,716,913 [/quote]

So, per registration, Democrats in Louisiana would be winning statewide 2:1.  Yet that doesn't happen; quite the opposite.

Viking

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on October 10, 2011, 03:40:29 AM
Well, he specifically did not do the math.

What math?  I don't know what you're talking about.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2011, 02:38:01 PM

Meth.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2011, 02:38:01 PM

He referred to some mitigating factors. He just implied that these mitigating factors were sufficient to make up the difference. He did not do the math (with publicly available statistics) to demonstrate that the mitigating factors were actually sufficient to make up the difference.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on October 10, 2011, 08:26:08 AM
Aren't you a Herman fanboy or something?  Were you the one who said how impressive he was?

he does have the most impressive resume of any non-Mormon candidate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: ulmont on October 10, 2011, 02:21:32 PM
Yeah, and it becomes clear those numbers don't mean anything.

They mean more people think of themselves as Democrats than Republicans, voting record be damned.

However, my contention doesn't go that far. I'd agree that Republicans have a plurality of voters in the South. But not a majority. Independents form the balance here same as everywhere else.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?