Total War series: general advice and mod suggestions needed, pls

Started by Pedrito, September 27, 2011, 08:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

While waiting for Football Manager 2012 I've found a nice offer on Steam and bought a good bunch of TW titles: Rome and Alexander, Medieval II and Kingdoms, Empire, Napoleon.

Being a complete noob of the series, I'm needing Total Wargamers here to give me some general advice on these games, plus info on noteworthy or needed mods.

Bse assumptions:
- I won't multiplay
- suggested mods must not be too far from the vanilla version of the game
- having Steamed them, I haven't got a physical game manual, and i can't be bothered to read several-pages long PDFs of rules.

Thank you  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Tamas

Play Medieval 2 first. It is nice enough vanilla to learn what the series is about, the graphics are still okay, but would be less so coming back from the visual feat that is Napoleon.

After getting a taste of vanilla Med2 (and it is rather nice if you forgive the ahistoric world conquesting going on), if you have Kingdoms, check out the 3 campaigns in it. The British one is a little meh but still nice, the Crusades one is cool but very frustrating as the Crusaders, and the Teutonic one is simply excellent.

Afterwards, you may skip Empire for Napoleon, imo.

Ed Anger

I've never been impressed with mods for these games. The mod nerds usually add a bloated map, a kajillion units that all about do the same thing and make many computers wheeze as they try to process all the crap.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 27, 2011, 08:44:48 AM
I've never been impressed with mods for these games. The mod nerds usually add a bloated map, a kajillion units that all about do the same thing and make many computers wheeze as they try to process all the crap.

Ed is wise.

Pedrito

Given that I'll play them mainly on a 18-months old laptop, this is exactly the kind of advice I'm needing about mods.  :)

If there's something that cannot be renounced, though, say it now or shut up forever.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

viper37

For Medieval II, get Darth Mod: The Last Episode
For Empire, get DarthMod Empire.
There's the American Revolution mod, but it's half-baked.

For Napoleon, I tried Napoleon Empire Realism, but it was still an early beta and i didn't really like it. They're now at 2.0, so it might be better.

As for any mods, you can still choose the number of units.  Now, even if you were to play with a gazilion unit, Medieval II was released in 2007...  You computer will handle it.

And don't play vanilla.  Go for the mods right away.  Wag tried the vanilla Empire and hated it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

plz play vanilla until you get bored with it. Ed Anger's take is actually spot on for this series. Mods are extremely noob-unfriendly.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on September 27, 2011, 11:25:42 AM
plz play vanilla until you get bored with it. Ed Anger's take is actually spot on for this series. Mods are extremely noob-unfriendly.

I imagined all the mod makers as Spellus types who read way too many history books instead of getting laid.

OMG! R:TW doesn't have Spartan Skiritai! Boycott!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

The biggest problem with the TW series has always been the AI.  It's annoying to have the AI march units back and forth over and over again with no discernible purpose and in battle they tend to use the ancient tactic of forming a mob that attacks rushes your center.  It was kind of sad with Empires when they did this with musket armed soldiers who ended up shooting each other.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

no, really, no.

First, the AI is dumb.  Extremely dumb.  That is corrected.
Second, you got more units.  Too many units, imho, but on the battlefield, it looks great.
Third, everything is better.
Fourth, the technical requirements are the same as for the original game, unless you want huge unit sizes.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 27, 2011, 11:41:35 AM

I imagined all the mod makers as Spellus types who read way too many history books instead of getting laid.

OMG! R:TW doesn't have Spartan Skiritai! Boycott!
DarthMods were made to correct the AI first&foremost.  Overtime, some other mods were added, like new sounds, musics, graphics and uniforms.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on September 27, 2011, 01:07:12 PM
no, really, no.

First, the AI is dumb.  Extremely dumb.  That is corrected.
Second, you got more units.  Too many units, imho, but on the battlefield, it looks great.

They help, but don't fully correct it.  I used the Vader Mod on Empire and while the AI was certainly better it wasn't great.  With out it, the AI acted very strangely.  Declaring war but not actually attacking you.  Just wandering about in your territory.  The Darth mod helped this a bit in that the AI was merely bad rather then bizarrely useless.  Actually I liked the 2D map from first engine better.  The AI at least made sense then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

szmik

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.