Total War series: general advice and mod suggestions needed, pls

Started by Pedrito, September 27, 2011, 08:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2011, 01:17:15 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 27, 2011, 01:07:12 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 27, 2011, 11:25:42 AM
plz play vanilla until you get bored with it. Ed Anger's take is actually spot on for this series. Mods are extremely noob-unfriendly.
no, really, no.

First, the AI is dumb.  Extremely dumb.  That is corrected.
Second, you got more units.  Too many units, imho, but on the battlefield, it looks great.

They help, but don't fully correct it.  I used the Vader Mod on Empire and while the AI was certainly better it wasn't great.  With out it, the AI acted very strangely.  Declaring war but not actually attacking you.  Just wandering about in your territory.  The Darth mod helped this a bit in that the AI was merely bad rather then bizarrely useless.  Actually I liked the 2D map from first engine better.  The AI at least made sense then.
have you tried 6.95? I think the AI is at its best, and the 7.0 beta apparently makes it better.
And while I agree that the the battle AI made sense in the 2D map, when it came to diplomacy, it was brain dead and alliances or trade agreement really meant nothing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Nah, Haven't played it in a while.  I still had fun with it. After a while I got fed up watching the Swedish Navy trek aimlessly around the Baltic or a dozen Polish Bishops pace back and forth the map every turn.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

No one has suggested EB for Rome yet?

Languish is supposed to be cultured.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Cultured is not what I immediately think of when Languish comes to mind.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Caliga

I should have bought Napoleon: TW when it was on sale.  Oh well.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Caliga

It's a lot better than Empire (which I do have), right?  If so I'll get it when it's on sale next.

I may not ever pick up Shogun.  I just can't get in to the whole Japan thing.  I liked the original Shogun: TW, but that's cause the engine kicked so much ass at the time.

Ed Anger

Nappy doesn't have India invading Europe. Unless you are the Indians.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I lost my Rome disk...I am thinking of steaming up the complete Rome. 
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

I found Medieval Total War II during the move.  Never opened. Any good?
PDH!

Caliga

I loved the Kingdoms expansion to M:TW II, especially the Americas campaign.  Reducing Aztec cities to rubble with my cannons never got old, and it was fun fighting battles with like 20 Spanish dudes and thousands of Indians (hostiles and my mercenaries) where the Spanish sat back on their horses and watched the slaughter. :)

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on September 28, 2011, 07:10:36 PM
I lost my Rome disk...I am thinking of steaming up the complete Rome.

I've done that.  Steam is just so gosh darn cheap and convenient.

viper37

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 28, 2011, 01:43:37 PM
No one has suggested EB for Rome yet?

Languish is supposed to be cultured.
that game is quite old, even by Languish standards...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2011, 06:52:33 PM
It's a lot better than Empire (which I do have), right?  If so I'll get it when it's on sale next.
Yes, a lot better.  They even have attrition now. :)
It's a bit harder to walk over Russia.

Shogun 2 was on sale last week-end, 50% off, so I bought it.  Have played a couple of turns, I quite like it so far.

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 28, 2011, 07:16:00 PM
I found Medieval Total War II during the move.  Never opened. Any good?
I found it similar to Empire, but since there's no muskets, the AI copes better.  Charging a line of muskets with swords is not so good, but charging swords with swords is allright :)

I remember liking it, though it's been a while since I played it.