Which dogs can be left alone for 10-12 hours (if any)?

Started by Martinus, September 26, 2011, 04:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2011, 07:52:06 AM
Quote from: Brazen on September 27, 2011, 05:26:54 AM
Get fish. They're pretty and gay friendly.

There are pets who are gay unfriendly?  A homophobic parrot or something?

Tits and pussy.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2011, 07:52:06 AM
Quote from: Brazen on September 27, 2011, 05:26:54 AM
Get fish. They're pretty and gay friendly.

There are pets who are gay unfriendly?  A homophobic parrot or something?

AWK! Matthew Shepard is in Hell! AWWWWK!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on September 26, 2011, 04:49:49 PM
The feline kind.

Bad idea.  Haven't you seen Trainspotting?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 07:40:03 AM
A buddy of my wife's, who owns a rather large house, used to own as pets a colony of gerbils. They had the second floor.

Eventually, he imported a Thai wife, and the gerbils vanished.

Did she eat them?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2011, 12:19:04 PM
A buddy of my wife's, who owns a rather large house, used to own as pets a colony of gerbils. They had the second floor.

Did she eat them?

:D

No. I think that once he obtained a wife, the emotional benefits of having a tribe of gerbils living in your second floor ensuite ment less to him.

Of course, the fact that he had said tribe could explain why he had to import a wife ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Caring for a colony of animals is a noble calling.

Like, you call it a "zoo" and charge admission, and you're a regular working joe.  You do it because it's a fun hobby and you like animals and don't wish to see them endangered in their natural state and you're an eccentric, at best.  People are just fucked up in their mores.

On the other hand, gerbils are nasty little beasts.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

My brother had gerbils.  Turns out the little buggers are cannibals.  Also the family dog killed one of them (simply by putting a paw on one.  I have Gerbil must have had a heart attack or something when it happened).  I don't recall what happened to the rest of them.  Hated the little critters.  They stunk.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Yeah Marty, dogs are pretty high maintenance.

Getting a puppy and leaving it at home for 10-12 hours a day will definitely mess it, and your home, up. Now, if your office allows you to bring the dog with you, if you arrange doggie day care or a dog walker when you're away it's doable. But it will still take up a lot of your time and attention.

The unconditional affection is pretty nice though.

I'd suggest reading a few books on how to raise a dog before making the decision. To give you some ideas about the effort and kind of problems you're likely to encounter.

If you do decide to get a dog, I'd also like to suggest that you consider getting a rescue dog instead of a breeder dog.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Caliga

Quote from: Jacob on September 27, 2011, 01:05:12 PM
Now, if your office allows you to bring the dog with you
:blink:
QuoteIf you do decide to get a dog, I'd also like to suggest that you consider getting a rescue dog instead of a breeder dog.
Agree.  Cheaper and far, far less likely to have a ton of inbreeding-related health problems.  If you insist on getting a purebred dog, it WILL be inbred.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2011, 12:19:04 PM

Did she eat them?

Better yet, shot them out her pussy.

Martinus

I would like to avoid getting a breeder dog. I'd prefer a fabulously gay dog instead.