Which dogs can be left alone for 10-12 hours (if any)?

Started by Martinus, September 26, 2011, 04:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I`d have to say a cat would be more fitting for your lifestyle. Or a set of guinea pigs.

Leaving a dog alone so long sucks. I`ve done it on very rare occasions with mine and she generally isn`t very happy about it, and is dying for the loo.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Well, other people told me about cats, too, but I kinda dislike cats. I was thinking of something small like a cocker spaniel etc. But I guess it wouldn't work. :(

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 26, 2011, 06:05:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2011, 05:31:59 PM
It would make more sense to look around for dog walkers.  Very common in NYC.

Very yuppie.  You could brag to people about it.

I was wrong - I now see where Marti was going with this.

Seriously, I am not as shallow to want a dog as a fashion accessory. :rolleyes:

When I was growing up, we always had a dog or two (my parents own a big house with a garden so that was never an issue), and I miss having a dog waiting for me at home when I get back in the evening.

I guess I could like a cat, but they always feel like a poor substitute for a dog to me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Zoupa on September 26, 2011, 05:43:41 PM
Get a cat. Dogs and appartments don't mix.

Yes. You can buy a rare kind of cat and show it off to people.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2011, 01:42:55 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 26, 2011, 06:05:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2011, 05:31:59 PM
It would make more sense to look around for dog walkers.  Very common in NYC.

Very yuppie.  You could brag to people about it.

I was wrong - I now see where Marti was going with this.

I guess I could like a cat, but they always feel like a poor substitute for a dog to me.

Agree with you there
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Octavian

I agree with the Gaul. Also leaving the dog alone for 10-12 hours each day is animal cruelty. Especially in an apartment.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Razgovory

Quote from: Octavian on September 27, 2011, 03:24:34 AM

I agree with the Gaul. Also leaving the dog alone for 10-12 hours each day is animal cruelty. Especially in an apartment.

On the other hand, it would have to spend the other half of the day with Marty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Brazen

Get fish. They're pretty and gay friendly.

Seriously do not get a dog or even a cat with the amount of time you're about every day. It's cruel. Two cats at a pinch to keep each other company, but if you don't like them meh.

Don't forget to add in long walks before and after work which will be in the dark and probably snow before too long. Besides, you don't seem like the type to want to clean up poop, whether in a litter tray, on the pavement or on your bed.

CountDeMoney

I time my departure in the morning to catch the girl across the way walking her dog about 15 minutes before she goes to work.
Don't know her name or anything, but she has a totally bumping body.  Wears those tapered, tight blouse type tops with slacks for work.  Yummy.

Malthus

A buddy of my wife's, who owns a rather large house, used to own as pets a colony of gerbils. They had the second floor.

Eventually, he imported a Thai wife, and the gerbils vanished.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2011, 04:44:44 PM
So, I'm thinking of getting a dog but my lifestyle (working 10-12 hours per day) means I may not have enough time for him and would hate to make him suffer. Are there any races of dogs that can stay at the apartment alone for extended periods of time like that without going all sad, depressed and angry?

Nice you are thinking this through.

I think it is a terrible idea.  Dogs are a very high maintenance pet and not suited for the gay lawyer about town.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on September 27, 2011, 05:26:54 AM
Get fish. They're pretty and gay friendly.

There are pets who are gay unfriendly?  A homophobic parrot or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2011, 05:30:29 AM
I time my departure in the morning to catch the girl across the way walking her dog about 15 minutes before she goes to work.
Don't know her name or anything, but she has a totally bumping body.  Wears those tapered, tight blouse type tops with slacks for work.  Yummy.

God damn it Seedy. She's an animal, you are an aminal lover. You need to get some Animal love with her!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.