Which dogs can be left alone for 10-12 hours (if any)?

Started by Martinus, September 26, 2011, 04:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Seriously though, Marty shouldn't get any pet.  He'll quickly tire of it and the animal will likely suffer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2011, 05:31:59 PM
It would make more sense to look around for dog walkers.  Very common in NYC.

Very yuppie.  You could brag to people about it.

I was wrong - I now see where Marti was going with this.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2011, 04:44:44 PM
Are there any races of dogs that can stay at the apartment alone for extended periods of time like that without going all sad, depressed and angry?

Big dogs.

Actually, rescued greyhounds are known to be good apartment/condo dogs;  larger bowels and bladders as a larger dog, but former racing greyhounds (after 3 or so years of service) are used to long, extended down times in cages between bouts of exercise, and the requisite good temperment and patience that needed in that environment that isn't subject to abandonment issues.

But for you, I'd skip it.  As a fag, you're too selfish to care for another living creature.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2011, 06:07:34 PM

But for you, I'd skip it.  As a fag, you're too selfish to care for another living creature.

Bingo.  It's not a gay thing, my brother is very good with animals and keeps two dogs.  Marty is self centered though.  He's probably getting a dog to impress one his boyfriends or something.  It's not like a bike where you can get it, glow in the admiration of your lover, and then put it away.  It's a living creature.  I wouldn't trust Marty with a goldfish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2011, 06:11:21 PM
He's probably getting a dog to impress one his boyfriends or something.

No, Marty's just figured out that the only thing that gets more attention at the cafe than being seen using an Apple(tm) product is being seen using an Apple(tm) product with a dog tied to the table leg.

QuoteI wouldn't trust Marty with a goldfish.

Amen.  That's one dead ass goldfish.

Caliga

We've left our dog alone for up to about 12 hours before, and he seemed ok with it.  I mean, I'm sure he doesn't like it, but he didn't go nuts or shit all over the place or anything.  He just slept in his crate.  He's allegedly half-Boxer and half-other stuff (supposedly German Shepherd and Labrador).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habsburg

The late Brodie and current Louis Anton had/have an Adventure Dog person, she takes dogs in her van to the Senator Warren Magnuson State Park.

The Park has a huge off leash area, and the gaggle of Fidos get to run wild for two hours.  Solved the 11-12 hour thing nicely.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2011, 04:44:44 PM
So, I'm thinking of getting a dog but my lifestyle (working 10-12 hours per day) means I may not have enough time for him and would hate to make him suffer. Are there any races of dogs that can stay at the apartment alone for extended periods of time like that without going all sad, depressed and angry?
Get an English Mastiff
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 26, 2011, 08:35:38 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 26, 2011, 08:02:00 PM
Dogs don't have a sense of time.

Their bladders do.

Dogs don't like to lie where they have shit & pee. Put them in a small enough cage & they'll hold it as long as possible.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 26, 2011, 08:41:25 PM

Their bladders do.

Dogs don't like to lie where they have shit & pee. Put them in a small enough cage & they'll hold it as long as possible.

Real humanitarian.

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2011, 08:45:43 PM

Their bladders do.

Real humanitarian.

Good Mastership. :contract:

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2011, 08:45:43 PM

Their bladders do.

Real humanitarian.

Thats what any animal trainer will do.

If you keep them in too large a space, they'll designate a part of it as the bathroom.  If it's a crate the right size for them (big enough to stand, but not big enough to walk around) they won't.

Of course you have to give them lots of attention and exercise afterwards.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Their bladders do.

Never have to do this if you know how to train a dog.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".