Which dogs can be left alone for 10-12 hours (if any)?

Started by Martinus, September 26, 2011, 04:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, I'm thinking of getting a dog but my lifestyle (working 10-12 hours per day) means I may not have enough time for him and would hate to make him suffer. Are there any races of dogs that can stay at the apartment alone for extended periods of time like that without going all sad, depressed and angry?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Maybe if you worked harder and didn't post on Languish so much you could do your job in eight hours or less a day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2011, 04:55:21 PM
Maybe if you worked harder and didn't post on Languish so much you could do your job in eight hours or less a day.

Just because he's posting on Languish doesn't mean he's not billing someone.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Why not adopt a South East Asian baby instead? Have to get in on the fad whilst it lasts.
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 26, 2011, 05:03:57 PM
Why not adopt a South East Asian baby instead? Have to get in on the fad whilst it lasts.

He could set up a shoe manufacturing business at home.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Scipio

Any dog that is well-trained.  However, I would exclude Labradors, Retrievers, Setters, Spaniels, etc.  Pit Bulls are a good choice.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

It would make more sense to look around for dog walkers.  Very common in NYC.

Very yuppie.  You could brag to people about it.

Zoupa

ulmont

Tonitrus

Quote from: ulmont on September 26, 2011, 05:48:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 26, 2011, 04:49:49 PM
The feline kind.

This.  Dogs can't handle that much time alone.

Not always true.  Cats can get lonely too (especially Siamese).

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on September 26, 2011, 05:43:41 PM
Get a cat. Dogs and appartments don't mix.

Yeah, my sis did this.  Got a big black lab, tore the shit out of her place.  I don't think she's every paid for the damages.  She finally gave the dog away when she found that it growled at her daughter.  I was proud of her for doing that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on September 26, 2011, 05:43:41 PM
Get a cat. Dogs and appartments don't mix.
Agreed.  Get two cats - sisters or mother and daughter work - or one can get lonely if you're having it as a house cat.

My families had a number of dogs (admittedly mostly border collies) and I don't think any of them could be left alone for that long.  It's just cruel.

Edit:  Incidentally on the cat front go to a home and get a pair of old dears.  We used to have a (very) elderly mother and daughter pair (the daughter, sadly, was albino, blind, deaf and forgetful).  They're good housepets for small flats and you're doing something good giving a nice home to them - plus they're far, far less likely to leave dead vermin around the house.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

And anyway, this is Martinus we're talking about...anything bigger than a Chihuahua is too non-gay.

crazy canuck

What is this, Marti's search for a topic where he cant get something wrong?