And we're back!

Main Menu

Magna Mundi - The Game

Started by ubik, September 22, 2011, 10:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubik

Quote from: Pishtaco on October 01, 2011, 03:56:11 AM
Yes.

Nice to meet you! ToT was a great mod and MM benefited from it extensively! :)

ubik

Quote from: Maladict on October 01, 2011, 06:43:48 AM
Where does it stand on the EU2 v UE3 historical determinism issue?
Scripted events, historical/dynamic leaders and monarchs, that kind of thing.

Well, Magna Mundi was in 2007 an answer to deal with the randomness that EU3 displayed. At the same time, and while I loved EU2, the possibilities given by the new engine were so much, that keeping determinism in the game would be a waste of resources. So, I would stay right in the middle. We don't force events at all. What we have are complex event pools coded that take into account dozens of game variables and that will introduce new changes in the gameplay. For instance, if by some strange bout of luck, catholic europe starts getting very open from start, a strong Pope fights church corruption, etc... you might not ever see a reformation. Of course, this will be really rare, because all of the established powers have thier hand in the pot...

As far as events we have more than 4000, all of them linked in event pools, that is what convey a sense of narrative to the strategy game.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

The font looks better :)

Also, is the Korea penninsula mountainous? It really bugs me that it's plains with the vanilla map.
And have RotW nations in general been reworked? Quite a few of them, besides China and Japan, are underrated on wealth and manpower.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

ubik

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 05, 2011, 01:31:18 PM
The font looks better :)

Also, is the Korea penninsula mountainous? It really bugs me that it's plains with the vanilla map.
And have RotW nations in general been reworked? Quite a few of them, besides China and Japan, are underrated on wealth and manpower.

Well, for the most part the font has been an non issue since May. ;)

The entire Korean Peninsula (8 provinces) has terrain distributed as follows:

Steep Mountains: Minor Patches
Mountains: Minor Coverage
Gentle Mountains: Significant Coverage
Temperate Deciduous Forest: Significant Patches
Temperate Needleleaf-Evergreen Forest: Significant Patches
Plains: Minor Patches
Steppe: Vestigies

Some clarifications:

- I could have given you a proper % distribution, but right now we have it converted to the qualitative info inside the engine. It would take me some time to get the % again.
- The funny names about some of the terrains means a different graphic type considered
- Each terrain has its own bonuses penalties associated, so while a land (during Reconnaissance and Skirmish only) or provincial battle rages on, each turn and based on probabilities the fight might happen on a different terrain. A decisive action in a land battle is fought over a single day and the terrain where it is fought is also based on the % distribution of terrain.
- I cannot show you now a proper picture of Korea because we are implementing the new renderer and I don't want to reveal the results so far, which are impressive, I might add... even if with a bug or three!

Anyway, yes, it has plenty of mountains!

ubik

I remember reading somewhere on another forum some time ago how Team Magna Mundi would make it hard to impossible to mod the game, just because of "Ubik's ego" not standing changes to his own designs... ;)

So, the short answer is: I want to turn Magna Mundi into one of the most moddable games ever.

This new developer's diary starts to unveil Magna Mundi mod capabilities:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?692-Magna-Mundi-Developer-s-Diary-26-SCRIPTS&s=fe28ec7a2e64f1ca1866537b317c4377

ubik

A New Developer's Diary for you all to enjoy, this time it's about Governments and their implementation in Magna Mundi:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?706-Magna-Mundi-Developer-Diary-Government-Titles-Ranks-and-Types

Feel free to post comments or ask any questions!

PRC

Quote from: ubik on November 02, 2011, 02:22:42 PM

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?706-Magna-Mundi-Developer-Diary-Government-Titles-Ranks-and-Types

In lots of your posts it looks like you hit the "Enter" key a bunch of times after you're done typing your post and then you just type a period... why do you do that?

Viking

Quote from: PRC on November 02, 2011, 02:51:10 PM
Quote from: ubik on November 02, 2011, 02:22:42 PM

In lots of your posts it looks like you hit the "Enter" key a bunch of times after you're done typing your post and then you just type a period... why do you do that?

Same reason Grallon does it

V.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

KRonn

When is Magna Mundi due to be released?

sbr

grumbler

Hmmm.

Ubik is starting to sell me on this game.  Should I be worried?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!