And we're back!

Main Menu

Is college a scam?

Started by garbon, September 16, 2011, 09:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on September 16, 2011, 10:16:32 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2011, 10:14:21 AM
Mine was in anthropology ... practically the definition of a "want fries with that?" degree.  :D

What people often overlook is that (a) getting a degree is useful education in basic skills like writing and research, no matter what the degree is in; (b) some employers don't care what you did your degree in, they just want proof you are capable of getting one; and (c) you can use your degree to get other, more immediately useful qualifications. 
you graduated in the 80's, right? was the secondary education pool already over flowing by then?

Early 90s. And yes.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 10:01:59 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 16, 2011, 09:53:16 AM
they should separate the employment rates based on thing like business degrees and bullshit majors.

I had a bullshit major. :cool:

I had a non-bullshit major - geology.

Given that I wanted to go into law anyways, I'd have been better off taking a bullshit major like history and spent more time partying in university, and less time stuck in labs staring at rocks. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 10:46:33 AM

Given that I wanted to go into law anyways, I'd have been better off taking a bullshit major like history and spent more time partying in university, and less time stuck in labs staring at rocks. :(

Maybe if you had partied you wouldn't have been so good at doing the boring stuff at Law School.  After studying rocks and all...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 10:49:45 AM

Maybe if you had partied you wouldn't have been so good at doing the boring stuff at Law School.  After studying rocks and all...

Well, he had to get his rocks off somehow.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

they should separate the employment rates based on thing like business degrees and bullshit majors.

But if for some reason you couldn't get into law school, you at least had a non-bs degree. 

That's why, IMO, nobody should take pre-law as an undergraduate major.  You don't need it to get into law school--any B.S or B.A. is good enough for that--and by itself it's not much better than a degree in English lit or Art Theory in the job market.  Plus, you look like an idiot--it practically screams, "Wanted to be a lawyer but wasn't smart enough".

Barrister

Quote from: dps on September 16, 2011, 11:26:58 AM

But if for some reason you couldn't get into law school, you at least had a non-bs degree. 

That's why, IMO, nobody should take pre-law as an undergraduate major.  You don't need it to get into law school--any B.S or B.A. is good enough for that--and by itself it's not much better than a degree in English lit or Art Theory in the job market.  Plus, you look like an idiot--it practically screams, "Wanted to be a lawyer but wasn't smart enough".

Are there any schools that actually hand out degrees in "pre-law"?

And if I would have gotten a geology job I would have gone crazy.  I did a co-op work term once where I did nothing but stare down a microscope and count mineral grains all day. :wacko:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on September 16, 2011, 10:10:31 AM
that's kind of not a bullshit one, depending one what you intend to do with it :P. i'm think more art and literature and such. unless you're going int a career for those feilds (and even then) it's just a useless costly piece of paper.

Didn't you see that recent news article about how psych grads have the lowest typical income of all college grads?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 11:30:29 AM

Are there any schools that actually hand out degrees in "pre-law"?

I haven't really paid attention recently, but I know that there certainly used to be.  I would assume that there still are.

Sheilbh

I did a degree in English and got a pretty well-paid job that could have been interesting eventually.  It was totally unrelated, of course, but I think the most of the time the worth of a degree is more a signal to employers.  I think the university you go to tends to matter more.  Where I worked everyone was from a uni with a good reputation. 

Having said that I don't know that an English degree at Bristol (with its 3-9 contact hours a week) is necessarily worth £27 000 in tuition fees :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

University here is 1800$ a session. :yeah:

Altho, that's bound to be raised in the coming years.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Students really should be made more aware of the whole you just need a degree thing. I Could have had years of fun doing history instead of struggling at something I thought would give me a better chance of a job.

But yes, the system with the whole need a degree thing sucks
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 11:30:39 AM
that's kind of not a bullshit one, depending one what you intend to do with it :P. i'm think more art and literature and such. unless you're going int a career for those feilds (and even then) it's just a useless costly piece of paper.

Didn't you see that recent news article about how psych grads have the lowest typical income of all college grads?

That might have more to do with the amount of those with serious mental issues. Or is that restricted to our psych grads?

Ideologue

Jor-El?

Anyway, I agree.  Post-secondary education has ruined my life.  I was happier as a waiter without $115,000 in debt.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on September 16, 2011, 01:02:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 11:30:39 AM

That might have more to do with the amount of those with serious mental issues. Or is that restricted to our psych grads?

Would you like to re-phrase?

Anyway I'd say it has to do with psych as a nice catch-all major. Doesn't necessarily require too much work to major in and many of the platitudes and heuristics that are taught to students are easy to digest for the masses. To boot, it is somewhat respectable, so it is a great major for those who just want to graduate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.