And we're back!

Main Menu

Is college a scam?

Started by garbon, September 16, 2011, 09:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2011, 01:09:02 PM
Jor-El?

While I understand the reference (Superman's dad), I don't understand the joke... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Iormlund

Garbon, it seems those studies attract people with mental problems. Knowing just 3, I thought it was bad luck on my part. That was until more people, including psych grads, confirmed it was widespread. One student even told me that around half his class had some issue or another.

citizen k

English is another catch-all degree.  :blush:

Martinus

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on September 16, 2011, 01:18:33 PM
Garbon, it seems those studies attract people with mental problems. Knowing just 3, I thought it was bad luck on my part. That was until more people, including psych grads, confirmed it was widespread. One student even told me that around half his class had some issue or another.

Anecdotal evidence is so compelling.

I wonder if I majored in psych because I knew that I'd one day suffer from a mental illness or if it was the smallest major at my school and I had several units from other classes that I could use towards the major. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 01:23:50 PM

I wonder if I majored in psych because I knew that I'd one day suffer from a mental illness or if it was the smallest major at my school and I had several units from other classes that I could use towards the major. :hmm:

Well, you do suffer from a mental illness dear, so that's another anecdotal evidence. :P

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2011, 12:18:15 PM
I did a degree in English and got a pretty well-paid job that could have been interesting eventually.  It was totally unrelated, of course, but I think the most of the time the worth of a degree is more a signal to employers.  I think the university you go to tends to matter more.  Where I worked everyone was from a uni with a good reputation. 

Having said that I don't know that an English degree at Bristol (with its 3-9 contact hours a week) is necessarily worth £27 000 in tuition fees :mellow:
English is probably more valuable in England.  hyuk hyuk...
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 01:24:28 PM

Well, you do suffer from a mental illness dear, so that's another anecdotal evidence. :P

I wish you could read. :hug:

Also, I think you meant past tense. I don't think I'm depressed now. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 01:25:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 01:24:28 PM

I wish you could read. :hug:

Also, I think you meant past tense. I don't think I'm depressed now. :unsure:

I can read. I just choose not to.  :cool:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 01:15:04 PM
Jor-El?

While I understand the reference (Superman's dad), I don't understand the joke... :unsure:

He was a geologist. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Anyway, I agree.  Post-secondary education has ruined my life.  I was happier as a waiter without $115,000 in debt.
The system in your country is weird, and has been distorted by affluence and an overwillingness to take on enormous amounts of debt.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2011, 01:28:25 PM
Jor-El?
He was something of a Renaissance Man.

citizen k

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on September 16, 2011, 01:34:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2011, 01:28:25 PM
Jor-El?
He was something of a Renaissance Man.

Indeed, although I never really liked that.  Who discerned that Krypton would explode?  Jor-El.  Who invented the Phantom Zone projector?  Jor-El.  Who designed the flying car?  Jor-El.  And so on.  Then again, I guess they are a million years in advance of humans.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)