And we're back!

Main Menu

Is college a scam?

Started by garbon, September 16, 2011, 09:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 16, 2011, 12:35:17 PM
University here is 1800$ a session. :yeah:

Altho, that's bound to be raised in the coming years.

It was 600 when I graduated 10 years ago...

Richard Hakluyt

They paid me to go, only about £3000 per year, but that was enough to live on in the old days  :cool:

Caliga

I have no student loan debt, and never did. :cool:  Princesca just paid off a bunch of her remaining debt this week.  She has $2,500 left in total.  We could have paid it all off easily, but we might need to have a leak in our water line fixed :bleeding: so are holding off till we see what the damages are for that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2011, 04:16:04 PM

Indeed, although I never really liked that.  Who discerned that Krypton would explode?  Jor-El.  Who invented the Phantom Zone projector?  Jor-El.  Who designed the flying car?  Jor-El.  And so on.  Then again, I guess they are a million years in advance of humans.

I didn't understand why they didn't colonize several other stars.  Yellow stars that would make them invincible.  Or was Jor-El their version of Lex Luther and he was the only one who built useful technology.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Some writers have tried to address the issue and have only succeeded in producing complete nonsense, like Kryptonians being "genetically tied" (whatever that means) to Krypton, but Jor-El, jack of every motherfucking trade including ones he invented himself, cured his son of it before he shot him into space.  Of course, there are the Daxamites, who are effectively Kryptonian colonists, but how they came to be is even sillier and more confusing.

I once came up with an idea where, basically, Krypton was an aggressive imperialist power, because if you could throw planets around, why wouldn't you be?  But they wound up losing a great war against Brainiac and the Coluans, so in Jor-El's time they were in what constituted something of a permanent Weimar Era, heavily regulated in what kind of technology they could possess, and what they could send to space.  Colonists, however infant, weren't on the approved list, but Jor-El sent his son anyway (and Zor-El his daughter).  I think that makes decent sense, and doesn't involve a dozen disparate, post hoc elements, only Brainiac, who's already inextricably linked to the Superman mythos through the shrinking of Kandor, anyway.

When you think about it, it only makes sense that someone, presumably Brainiac, must have kept them in line through fear; after all, what would the natural reaction to one of our cities being torn off the face of the planet and shrunk to bottle-size so some green asshole can observe them?  We'd be spaceborne in two generations and genociding whoever harbored him, unless we were kept from doing so by threat of retaliation and space sanctions.

This is also how my prospective sequel to The Day the Earth Stood Still goes, except that's about Nixon, Brezhnev, and Mao joining forces to send an interplanetary armada to fight the army of Gorts, with the side effect of liberating Klaatu's race of tongue-clucking space-Europeans, who are assholes even in freedom.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I guess this is why you have no social life. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I didn't read a lot of comics when I was a kid.  Some, but not a great many.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Neil

I always thought that the Kryptonians were constrained by a low birth rate.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: RazI didn't read a lot of comics when I was a kid.  Some, but not a great many.

Well, the question was implied.

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 10:17:05 PM
I guess this is why you have no social life. -_-

-_-

Not necessarily.  Lots of people like comics.  And even they didn't, my interests are my interests.

I think I ought to've been the anti-Malthus.  I'd have been better off trying to write and draw for a living than going to law school.  I am reasonably decent at the latter, at least.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on September 16, 2011, 10:30:58 PM

Krypton: Japan?
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2011, 10:02:28 PM
Some writers have tried to address the issue and have only succeeded in producing complete nonsense, like Kryptonians being "genetically tied" (whatever that means) to Krypton, but Jor-El, jack of every motherfucking trade including ones he invented himself, cured his son of it before he shot him into space.  Of course, there are the Daxamites, who are effectively Kryptonian colonists, but how they came to be is even sillier and more confusing.

I once came up with an idea where, basically, Krypton was an aggressive imperialist power, because if you could throw planets around, why wouldn't you be?  But they wound up losing a great war against Brainiac and the Coluans, so in Jor-El's time they were in what constituted something of a permanent Weimar Era, heavily regulated in what kind of technology they could possess, and what they could send to space.  Colonists, however infant, weren't on the approved list, but Jor-El sent his son anyway (and Zor-El his daughter).  I think that makes decent sense, and doesn't involve a dozen disparate, post hoc elements, only Brainiac, who's already inextricably linked to the Superman mythos through the shrinking of Kandor, anyway.

When you think about it, it only makes sense that someone, presumably Brainiac, must have kept them in line through fear; after all, what would the natural reaction to one of our cities being torn off the face of the planet and shrunk to bottle-size so some green asshole can observe them?  We'd be spaceborne in two generations and genociding whoever harbored him, unless we were kept from doing so by threat of retaliation and space sanctions.

This is also how my prospective sequel to The Day the Earth Stood Still goes, except that's about Nixon, Brezhnev, and Mao joining forces to send an interplanetary armada to fight the army of Gorts, with the side effect of liberating Klaatu's race of tongue-clucking space-Europeans, who are assholes even in freedom.
I love this idea!  :D
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2011, 11:06:41 PM

Shocking!!

We need a map.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2011, 10:44:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 16, 2011, 10:30:58 PM

Krypton: Japan?
Except moreso, and thus more risk-averse.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2011, 11:06:41 PM

It's not actually Nixon, Brezhnev, and Mao in space armor.  I meant their respective states (or state-like entities).

Although that would probably be more salable, it's not very good.
Kinemalogue