Children's Games (Garbon Warning: Carl-Related)

Started by Malthus, April 23, 2009, 09:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 24, 2009, 10:37:44 AM
Nothing wrong with dolls and teddies, it's when they come with a pre-defined world that they become the spawn of Satan  :mad:

Used to have a lot of fun with my sister (4 years younger than me) with her dolls and teddies. Of course, I was in charge, so the storylines involved warfare and destruction (eg the teddy bears getting drafted to fight an evil doll conspiracy).

Malthus, it's not just the money for stuff like you have linked above; it's the closing of imaginative avenues of play that is the worst thing.

Heh, its the whole immersive lifestyle thing which closes off the imagination - and is also the reason the company can charge a fortune for this stuff.  :lol:

I have no worries about Carl on this score at least - so far, he can suck in vast amounts of stuff from movies and books, and re-format it in his imagination into unique Carl-esque gameplay. The things he sees devinitely affects him, but not in any predictable manner.

Last night we read a story featuring a crab as a background illustration - this morning he insisted he was "Crab-Boy", and his pijamas were his "shell". We got him to put on his regular clothes by explaining that crabs grow by molting.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2009, 10:50:24 AM
Last night we read a story featuring a crab as a background illustration - this morning he insisted he was "Crab-Boy", and his pijamas were his "shell". We got him to put on his regular clothes by explaining that crabs grow by molting.  :lol:

Like a somewhat jollier version of Kafka's Metamorphosis  :lol:

Yes, I think many children are very resistant to the programming and retain their imaginative powers.

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 24, 2009, 11:02:23 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2009, 10:50:24 AM

Like a somewhat jollier version of Kafka's Metamorphosis  :lol:

Yes, I think many children are very resistant to the programming and retain their imaginative powers.

Well, the not-so-pleasant part was that he illustrated the "Crab-Boy" point by grabbing my cheeks and pinching. Hard.

Kid has surprisingly strong fingers, I'll give him that. I also note he never tries that stuff on mom!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Well here's something that will get a reaction from you guys:  I caught my nephew with his sister's doll a while back-- I decided to correct the situation.  I've further taken it upon myself to help toughen him up.  He is my godson, after all.

Frau Spiess agrees with me (surprisingly, since she came from a female-dominated house) that dolls are verboten for Tommy.  Not that I worry-- Tommy is a tough kid (maybe *too* tough-- we'll see). 

Last night he grabbed a marinating brush from the kitchen and one of those plastic plunger things they use in Holland/Belgium to press oranges/lemons in wheat beer to chase the wife & me around the house in a menacing manner.  He even growled, for added effect.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

You got what you deserved then. ;)

Little Tommy wanted to be a hairdresser, now you've convinced him to be a bully.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2009, 11:28:09 AM
Well here's something that will get a reaction from you guys:  I caught my nephew with his sister's doll a while back-- I decided to correct the situation.  I've further taken it upon myself to help toughen him up.  He is my godson, after all.

Frau Spiess agrees with me (surprisingly, since she came from a female-dominated house) that dolls are verboten for Tommy.  Not that I worry-- Tommy is a tough kid (maybe *too* tough-- we'll see). 

Last night he grabbed a marinating brush from the kitchen and one of those plastic plunger things they use in Holland/Belgium to press oranges/lemons in wheat beer to chase the wife & me around the house in a menacing manner.  He even growled, for added effect.

Meh if Carl wants to play with a doll, I could not care less - he does in fact do so occasionally, when visiting his female cousins. He even participated in a tea party. And he loves traditional female pursuits like cooking (particularly cookies!).

But I can just tell that when he's playing with dolls among the lego blocks, in his mind he's seeing the doll as a 100 foot tall monster, smashing through lego houses like Godzilla. I don't *make* him be that way, he just *is*.  :lol:

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 11:29:35 AM
You got what you deserved then. ;)

Little Tommy wanted to be a hairdresser, now you've convinced him to be a bully.

Even worse, he's a cannibal.  The brush was for marinating, not hairstyling :o

Thankfully, I used up all the barbecue sauce last weekend.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2009, 11:38:10 AM
Even worse, he's a cannibal.  The brush was for marinating, not hairstyling :o

Thankfully, I used up all the barbecue sauce last weekend.

I was using the doll incident as the connection to hairdressing (as apparently throwing around stereotypes can be fun). :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

In terms of personality and sexual orientation and the like - from what I've seen, a lot of that stuff is simply innate. Parents who think they can control it by deciding what their kids get tio access are probably just deluding themselves.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 11:40:33 AM
I was using the doll incident as the connection to hairdressing (as apparently throwing around stereotypes can be fun). :P

Ah.  The doll incident was with my nephew, though. 

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2009, 11:44:30 AM
Ah.  The doll incident was with my nephew, though. 

Oh, I didn't realize Tommy was different. :blush:

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2009, 11:43:22 AM
In terms of personality and sexual orientation and the like - from what I've seen, a lot of that stuff is simply innate. Parents who think they can control it by deciding what their kids get tio access are probably just deluding themselves.

Disagree.  There is some 'innateness' to it for sure, but parents can definitely influence things to a certain degree-- and I think that varies by child.  My concern for my nephew is not for his sexual orientation; I just want him to be the way I think he should be :P

For example, I think my nephew has been coddled a bit too much by his mom.  Don't get me wrong, he's a great kid.  But there are times I feel like I need to step in to help toughen him up a little bit.

He's two & a half years old & is still allowed to have a pacifier.  My sister in law & my brother both try the "good cop" approach to dissuade him from continuing to use it, which doesn't work.  Since nobody else from the family will step up, I play bad cop & forcibly take away his binkie.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 11:50:17 AM
Oh, I didn't realize Tommy was different. :blush:

I *am* from West Virginia, but my nephew & son are actually two different people :P

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2009, 11:53:28 AM
I *am* from West Virginia, but my nephew & son are actually two different people :P

You didn't mention that Tommy was your son in that post. :P