Children's Games (Garbon Warning: Carl-Related)

Started by Malthus, April 23, 2009, 09:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2009, 03:04:31 PM
I'm glad I dodged that bullet.  Hopefully I don't get shamed into playing dolls with my niece when she gets older :unsure:

Somebody's uncomfortable with his masculinity! :D
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2009, 03:52:59 PM
I can't say how happy I am that Carl likes cool toys - like big cars, things that fly, robots and guns.  :D

Have played with both sets, I think both are "cool" for what they are. :)

Of course, my sisters and I rarely did anything peaceful like have tea or had our barbies just chat and shop. Usually, everything became a free-for-all deathmatch (not unlike comic crossover arcs) where black ken was assaulted by micro machines, my little pony stomped on polly pocket, and the ninja turtles beat down on the teddy bear family. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

My girls like to play with "girly" stuff (My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop, etc) but they do so in unorthodox ways - they tend to make giant amusement park type courses for them to get thrown around on and so forth.  They also like to watch me play Left 4 Dead. :D

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on April 23, 2009, 04:08:24 PM
Somebody's uncomfortable with his masculinity! :D

Probably too comfortable, actually :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2009, 04:16:23 PM

Not if you're worried that dollies are going to sap your precious bodily fluids, man. :D

Malthus

Quote from: fahdiz on April 23, 2009, 04:17:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2009, 04:16:23 PM

Not if you're worried that dollies are going to sap your precious bodily fluids, man. :D

Now *those* sorts of games sound amusing, if not exactly family fare.   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on April 23, 2009, 04:17:13 PM

I'm not worried-- I just find dolls & girly stuff foreign & utterly dull.  I came from a house with 3 boys & no girls, and had no female cousins anywhere close to my age.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2009, 04:21:02 PM
I'm not worried-- I just find dolls & girly stuff foreign & utterly dull.

You wouldn't, probably, if they were your own daughters playing with them.  It's not like I played with dolls growing up either, but I didn't think "oh no, I'm having a girl - now I'm going to have to play with My Little Pony!  Why have you forsaken me, God?"

katmai

Quote from: fahdiz on April 23, 2009, 04:24:02 PM

You wouldn't, probably, if they were your own daughters playing with them.  It's not like I played with dolls growing up either, but I didn't think "oh no, I'm having a girl - now I'm going to have to play with My Little Pony!  Why have you forsaken me, God?"

You already know why he forsook(forsake ?, forceps? )you!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

fhdz

Quote from: katmai on April 23, 2009, 04:26:43 PM
You already know why he forsook(forsake ?, forceps? )you!

Exactly!  I have far greater problems than some occasional Littlest Pet Shop time with my youngest. :D

Malthus

Quote from: fahdiz on April 23, 2009, 04:24:02 PM

Heh, little girls have in general much to recommend them compared to boys: for one, on average they develop more quickly such things as language skills; for another, they tend to be less boisterous and more obedient (on average! Individual experience will vary).

OTOH, boys are attracted to the better toys, in general.  :contract:

There are plusses and minuses to both - but either is good.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Malthus

Another parent of an older girl was bitching to me about the cost of this particular line of dolls:

http://www.americangirl.com/

Apparently it isn't just a set of dolls - it's a whole lifestyle, complete with movies, books, hairdressers, restaurants, parties - which parents are (of course) expected to mortgage their houses to fund.

This promotion in particular seems - excessive:

http://www.fourseasons.com/email_promotion/crc_pg_0808/

Richard Hakluyt

Nothing wrong with dolls and teddies, it's when they come with a pre-defined world that they become the spawn of Satan  :mad:

Used to have a lot of fun with my sister (4 years younger than me) with her dolls and teddies. Of course, I was in charge, so the storylines involved warfare and destruction (eg the teddy bears getting drafted to fight an evil doll conspiracy).

Malthus, it's not just the money for stuff like you have linked above; it's the closing of imaginative avenues of play that is the worst thing.