Children's Games (Garbon Warning: Carl-Related)

Started by Malthus, April 23, 2009, 09:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I think I'm raising a future war-gamer.  :lol:

Carl has the most bizzare inventiveness when it comes to making up games. His latest is the Snake Game. The rules are as follows:

1. I am the Snake. I have to hold his 6' stuffed snake toy, and pretent to bite him.

2. Carl is the Snake Hunter. He has a "shooter" made of lego bricks which (he says) shoots "fire" or "oil".

3. The Snake has its lair on the couch. It can hide behind the cusions to avoid being killed by the "shooter". When that happens, the snake is "in its hole".

4. Carl's "house" is on the small carpet. When he's in his "house" he can "close the door", and the Snake can't bite him - it has to crawl away.

5. The game is played by Carl furiously "shooting" at the Snake. This involves vigourously thrusting the "shooter" in the direction of the Snake and making loud "Wham! Bang!" noises.

6. When Carl is shooting at the Snake, and the Snake is not in its hole, the Snake must die. This means it flails about going "aaagg!".

7. Two things can happen when the Snake is dying: either Carl's "shooter" falls apart because he's waving it about, or Carl starts laughing too hard to shoot.

8. In either case, that gives the Snake a chance to bite Carl.

9. Carl then has to retreat into his "house" to fix his shooter or to stop laughing. If he doesn't close the door in time, the Snake follows him into his house and bites him until I get tired of it.

10. The Snake then retreats into its hole and the game starts again.   

The "skill" on the Snake's part is mostly in acting out the dying in an exaggerated enough manner to get Carl laughing; the skill on Carl's part is in retreating & closing the door in time to avoid being thoroughly bitten.

Parents - what games do you play with your kids, that the kids invent?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Strix

It is good to see a father spending so much time with his son.  :hug:

Sadly, in the US, Carl would have gotten his father's shotgun from under the trailer's couch while the snake was hiding, and we'd have the Euroweenies discussing the result on Languish.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Malthus

Quote from: Strix on April 23, 2009, 09:26:25 AM
It is good to see a father spending so much time with his son.  :hug:

Sadly, in the US, Carl would have gotten his father's shotgun from under the trailer's couch while the snake was hiding, and we'd have the Euroweenies discussing the result on Languish.

I wonder if Carl would be able to lift a shotgun. He's pretty strong, but he's also pretty small, being only 3 - the leverage involved in holding a heavy gun horizontal might defeat him.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2009, 10:15:27 AM
One way to find out!

I think I'd rather remain mired in ignorance on this particuilar point.  :lol:

Ed Anger

Get him one of those child versions of a Henry rifle. When the Fenians come around again, he'll be ready.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h005_minibolt.cfm

:P
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

That's adorable.  It reminds me how much fun I had when my little brother was that age, and I was a teenager.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 23, 2009, 10:21:50 AM
Get him one of those child versions of a Henry rifle. When the Fenians come around again, he'll be ready.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h005_minibolt.cfm

:P

A rifle for the kids?

You really *can* buy anything in America.  :lol:

Mind you, I was shooting my dad's .22 when I was a kid ...

derspiess

:thumbsup:  Things like this make me so glad we had a boy rather than a girl, at least for our first kid. 

So far, Tommy (at 15 months) hasn't come up with any games per se, but he does seem to have the basic concept of chasing someone/being chased.  And he pretty much likes anything that should scare him-- if you sneak up on him & say "boo!" orhold him up really high, pretend to drop him, etc. he laughs like crazy.  He also likes anything you can speak into that alters your voice in any way (paper towel roll, storage containers, etc.).  He's obsessed with phones & remote controls.  The Xbox 360 controller is his holy grail, it seems.

He's currently obsessed with dogs, cars, and Cookie Monster (thanks to youtube).  His first word now when he wakes up is no longer "mama" but "cookie" :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Wait until you are an evil spy and get beat up by the good spy.  ;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2009, 10:30:20 AM
:thumbsup:  Things like this make me so glad we had a boy rather than a girl, at least for our first kid. 

So far, Tommy (at 15 months) hasn't come up with any games per se, but he does seem to have the basic concept of chasing someone/being chased.  And he pretty much likes anything that should scare him-- if you sneak up on him & say "boo!" orhold him up really high, pretend to drop him, etc. he laughs like crazy.  He also likes anything you can speak into that alters your voice in any way (paper towel roll, storage containers, etc.).  He's obsessed with phones & remote controls.  The Xbox 360 controller is his holy grail, it seems.

He's currently obsessed with dogs, cars, and Cookie Monster (thanks to youtube).  His first word now when he wakes up is no longer "mama" but "cookie" :D

Carl's very first game was to pretend that both he and I were spiders, and we would collect "spider food" under the covers (that was the "spider cave"). It turns out that spiders eat cookies.  :D

Strix

My son was playing peek-a-boo with me at 8 months old. It was adorable. I would always play it with him than out of the blue he'd start grabbing his bib or cloth or anything he could lift and hide behind it than drop it quick and laugh.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2009, 10:28:32 AM
A rifle for the kids?

They've been making .22 rifles for kids for decades, though most .22's out there are generally small/light enough for kids in the first place.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2009, 11:07:33 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2009, 10:28:32 AM
A rifle for the kids?

They've been making .22 rifles for kids for decades, though most .22's out there are generally small/light enough for kids in the first place.

Heh, reminds me of one of the worst marketing gimmicks ever - there was a kiddie drink that came in a pistot-shaped container: you drank it by putting the barrel in your mouth ... and pulling the trigger.  :lol:

saskganesh

my nephew is now into dragons. according to his authority:

" dragons eat carrots and they buy them at stores with green money that they keep in a bank."

he is now also wondering about the pictures of monsters in the rpg books. i.e. "daddy, what is that succubus doing?"
humans were created in their own image