Finally, the gub'mint is aware of the Canadian menace

Started by Ed Anger, April 22, 2009, 02:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

my mum is a dual citizen; last time she crossed the border she was grilled at length because she was born in NYC but is a resident in Winnipeg. obviously, this is very suspicious behavior for someone crossing the Peace Bridge.
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Notwithstanding the one anecdote, I cross the border several times per year and generally border guards are quite pleasant to deal with.  Heck I think the more remote the border crossing, the more polite they are.  The officers at the Top If The World Highway seem like they're going to invite you in for coffee.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on April 24, 2009, 11:13:52 AM
my mum is a dual citizen; last time she crossed the border she was grilled at length because she was born in NYC but is a resident in Winnipeg. obviously, this is very suspicious behavior for someone crossing the Peace Bridge.

I can see that.  Why would anyone voluntarily live in Winnipeg.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2009, 11:09:10 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 08:50:36 AM
I sure as hell am not going to let some guy in a uniform decide where I go for entertainment.

YMMV, of course.

Also, cant let this pass.  Its not some guy playing cop in a uniform, its a guy with enough power to seriously fuck you over if he takes a dislike to you.

Right, I am sure he would really do so, as your anecdote has proven.

You really should stay in Canada if you are so afraid of a border guard, and their well known penchant for "fucking people over" for no reason.

Why, it's not like literally thousands of Canadians cross the border every single day without incident! The odds of some martinet "fucking you over" because he "takes a dislike to you" are simply too great to risk.

When me and Habs went to Canada, going across the border was very uninteresting in both directions. But I am sure we were the exception.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2009, 11:15:46 AM
Notwithstanding the one anecdote, I cross the border several times per year and generally border guards are quite pleasant to deal with.  Heck I think the more remote the border crossing, the more polite they are.  The officers at the Top If The World Highway seem like they're going to invite you in for coffee.

Send some of them south and the problem is solved.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 11:16:23 AM
You really should stay in Canada if you are so afraid of a border guard, and their well known penchant for "fucking people over" for no reason.

If you want to live in blissful ignorance and beleive there is no problem at the US border then just carry on.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2009, 11:18:37 AM

If you want to live in blissful ignorance and beleive there is no problem at the US border then just carry on.

If you want to live on in hysteria over imagined problems at the border, then just carry on.

But when you refuse to visit the US, at least have the honesty to just say why rather than making up horror stories about border guards who "fuck you over" if they "take a dislike to you".

"ZOMG! They asked me questions, THE BASTARDS!"

They should setup a waterboarding station at the border to get the truth out of you guys.

0 rows returned

garbon

Why are we so stupid? Why have we not learned how to use quotes on this board?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 11:27:07 AM

Too much lead in our waterhose drinking water. :(

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I sure as hell am not going to let some guy in a uniform decide where I go for entertainment.

YMMV, of course.

Also, cant let this pass.  Its not some guy playing cop in a uniform, its a guy with enough power to seriously fuck you over if he takes a dislike to you.

Why, it's not like literally thousands of Canadians cross the border every single day without incident! The odds of some martinet "fucking you over" because he "takes a dislike to you" are simply too great to risk.

When me and Habs went to Canada, going across the border was very uninteresting in both directions. But I am sure we were the exception.

I've been hearing a lot of anecdotes about how the border crossing is much more time consuming, onerous and confrontational than it has ever been in the past - and the switch to full passport requirement isn't going to help. Obviously this isn't something universally true of every trip, more like a tone or trend towards unhelpfulness where helpfulness used to be more the norm.

Thing is, I imagine this will hurt Americans in the pocketbook. Canadians frequently cross the border to shop, but they are less likely to do so if it is an unpleasant ordeal.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2009, 11:15:46 AM

:D
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 11:27:07 AM

It's the quick reply + quote that is the problem. It doesn't place the cursor after the [/quote] so we type into it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2009, 11:29:04 AM

YMMV, of course.

I've been hearing a lot of anecdotes about how the border crossing is much more time consuming, onerous and confrontational than it has ever been in the past - and the switch to full passport requirement isn't going to help. Obviously this isn't something universally true of every trip, more like a tone or trend towards unhelpfulness where helpfulness used to be more the norm.

Thing is, I imagine this will hurt Americans in the pocketbook. Canadians frequently cross the border to shop, but they are less likely to do so if it is an unpleasant ordeal.

See, all I ever hear is anecdotes though. It is one of those urban legends - fostered by people who just love to bitch about the stereotype of paranoid America.

Listen to CC - he is going on about how border guards will "fuck you over" if they "take a dislike to you" - but his own anecdote includes no fucking over, and apparently nobody taking any dislike to him.

Talk about complete exaggeration for effect. Of course, the thousands of people who cross every single day without incident - why, that isn't interesting, and nobody posts about it. But we will assume that every time you cross you run the real risk of being "fucked over".

You are probably a hell ofa  lot more likely to get "fucked over" by the incompetent drivers on the road than you will that some border guard will "take a dislike to you" and make your life hell.

0 rows returned