Finally, the gub'mint is aware of the Canadian menace

Started by Ed Anger, April 22, 2009, 02:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2009, 04:21:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2009, 03:05:00 PM
Clearly, the best way to counter this protean threat is to annoy people attempting to shop in Buffalo.

I think I shared one of my border crossing stories here before.  A couple of years ago my wife and I took our kids to Seattle to watch the Yankees play.  After an hour wait at the border we finally rolled up to the border patrol officer.  In years past they would normally recocognize us for what we were, tell us to have a good time and we would be on our way.

This time after I explained that we were going down to see the game he started grilling me about what who played what position.  I had no idea for some of them.  I felt like I was in a really bad WWII movie.  Then, probably thinking he was cunning, he asked me what my real business going to the States was.  I just looked at him in disbelief.  After a moment of silence I told him again we were going to the baseball game.  He then demanded to see proof and we produced the tickets.  Thank god we didnt have "will call" tickets which is what we normally do.   He then spent a good 5 minutes being a complete ass examining the tickets and wondering if they were fakes.

If that is how a middle aged conservative family man is treated at the border I wonder how bad it is for others.

As a result of that kind of harrassment on subsequent trips we have drastically cut our car trips to the US despite how much I love going to Washington State.  If the US government wants to prevent us from coming, they are doing a darn good job of it.

Well, shit, maybe you really *were* a terrorist and you were planning to blow up the baseball game. That would explain you having the tickets, but not knowing details of the game that anyone who actually was going to the game would know - like the pitcher's shoe size.

Taking the wife & kids is just good cover. Terrorists don't give a shit about killing a few of their own women & children.

I suggest next time they give you an anal probe. You might be hiding a bomb up there - never know, what with this evolving threat and all. Can't be too cautious.

:D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

I still like how Canada nearly flipped out on me when I entered their country without a license plate (new car).  The same happened with a receptionist at one of the hotels that asked me for my license plate number.  She kept saying "How can you not have a license plate?!"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quite honestly I have over the years received much more hassle returning to Canada than I ever have driving into the US.

I think I told the story of my very first trip into Alaska (in '03 maybe?).  I got to the border and I didn't have any proof of citizenship - only my drivers license.  The border guard scolded me like a dog saying "bad Canadian" before letting me into the country 30 seconds later.

Compare that to the Canadian border guard after a day's trip to Skagway.  When asked if we had purchased anything I said yes, a case of beer (which was in plain view in the box of my pickup).  The young guy starts clucking saying how that isn't allowed.  I finish his sentence saying "unless you pay duty".  He starts to grill us, but then gets to "What do you do for a living".

"Crown Prosecutor" and "Corrections Officer".

Dejected he just waives us through, and never made me pay duty.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2009, 04:30:28 PM
I still like how Canada nearly flipped out on me when I entered their country without a license plate (new car).  The same happened with a receptionist at one of the hotels that asked me for my license plate number.  She kept saying "How can you not have a license plate?!"

True in fairness last time i drove across border (2 years now) Canada officials were much more of a pain in ass then had been on prior trips.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Still my favorite experience (and in retrospect was bad on my part)was when I arrived in England from Rome, on a one day stopover before headed back to the US.  I was going to share a hotel room with a friend who was doing the same, having returned from Russia.  The immigration officer asked to see my plane ticket (which I didn't have as it was electronic) and then asked to see info on the hotel I was staying at (which I also didn't have as she'd booked the hotel / I was meeting her at the airport). I'm just glad he didn't ask me for her phone number as I didn't have that either. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2009, 04:31:55 PM

I think I told the story of my very first trip into Alaska (in '03 maybe?).  I got to the border and I didn't have any proof of citizenship - only my drivers license.  The border guard scolded me like a dog saying "bad Canadian" before letting me into the country 30 seconds later.

More proof of stupidity.  In 03 all you needed to cross into the US and back was a drivers license.  There was no need to scold.

QuoteCompare that to the Canadian border guard after a day's trip to Skagway.  When asked if we had purchased anything I said yes, a case of beer (which was in plain view in the box of my pickup).  The young guy starts clucking saying how that isn't allowed.  I finish his sentence saying "unless you pay duty".  He starts to grill us, but then gets to "What do you do for a living".

When you reenter Canada there main task it to make sure you are not evading duty.  I dont see any comparison to the idiot on the US border who scolded you for something you didnt need. 

crazy canuck

How is it that you couldnt have a license plate.  I dont understand that either.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2009, 05:26:03 PM

How is it that you couldnt have a license plate.  I dont understand that either.

Temporary 10 day piece of paper you put into your window?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

You don't get a license plate number until you get your plates (which take time as they need to mail them).  The only number I had was my VIN number (which is consequently what the border patrol guy took down and what I gave to the receptionist).

Neil

Quote from: katmai on April 23, 2009, 04:25:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2009, 04:21:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2009, 03:05:00 PM
Clearly, the best way to counter this protean threat is to annoy people attempting to shop in Buffalo.

I think I shared one of my border crossing stories here before. 

I've mentioned how US border patrol in Montana asked me with my Alaska license plate on car and Driver license "how long do you plan on staying in the country"

I just stared at him for like 15-30 secs before saying how ever long i feel like. :lol:
:lol:

I'm sure he wanted to beat the fuck out of you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2009, 05:24:56 PM
More proof of stupidity.  In 03 all you needed to cross into the US and back was a drivers license.  There was no need to scold.

I believe you're mistaken.  It was changed post 9/11 that you needed proof of citizenship.  I do remember back in the 90s when I would frequently go into ND that a license was all you needed.

Quote from: crazy canuckCompare that to the Canadian border guard after a day's trip to Skagway.  When asked if we had purchased anything I said yes, a case of beer (which was in plain view in the box of my pickup).  The young guy starts clucking saying how that isn't allowed.  I finish his sentence saying "unless you pay duty".  He starts to grill us, but then gets to "What do you do for a living".

When you reenter Canada there main task it to make sure you are not evading duty.  I dont see any comparison to the idiot on the US border who scolded you for something you didnt need.
[/quote]

Evading duty?  I pointed to the case of beer sitting in plain sight in the box.   He had no interest in collecting duty, he just wanted to be an ass.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2009, 05:59:55 PM
Evading duty?  I pointed to the case of beer sitting in plain sight in the box.   He had no interest in collecting duty, he just wanted to be an ass.

Because you pointed it out.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2009, 05:59:55 PM
I believe you're mistaken.  It was changed post 9/11 that you needed proof of citizenship.  I do remember back in the 90s when I would frequently go into ND that a license was all you needed.

Actually, although they mentioned doing it post 9/11, I don't think it went into effect until much much later.

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/passport_requirement.asp

The above site suggests 2008 but I don't know if that is true.

Jacob

We've had this discussion previously.  In the US (or at least in California) when you buy a car you don't have license plates on it, but you can still drive it around.

In Canada, this would be illegal.  You can get a temporary registration (with a paper license plate you tape inside you windshield), but driving around with "dealer plates" is not something that's done here.  This has confused garbon before.

garbon