And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout: New Vegas

Started by Barrister, September 01, 2011, 09:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: sbr on January 30, 2012, 10:51:54 PM
Quote from: Siege on January 30, 2012, 08:55:42 PM
I thought Vegas was an expansion for FO3....

Nope whole seperate game.

And a much better game, better story line, more quest (10X it seems). It basically continues the story from FO2 and moves it to the southern Nevada...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Siege

So, can should I jump straight into Vegas without playing FO3?
I have very limited time for gaming.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Quote from: Siege on February 03, 2012, 01:23:12 AM
So, can should I jump straight into Vegas without playing FO3?
I have very limited time for gaming.

Yes. NV is much better than FO3.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PRC

Do you guys play this in Hardcore mode?

Solmyr

Anyone know of good face/body mods for this that don't turn everyone into anime?

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on March 08, 2012, 07:29:04 PM
Anyone know of good face/body mods for this that don't turn everyone into anime?
I used the Type V female body, Roberts Male Body, and Lings Coiffure v4.4.  Very decent mods.  Realistic (no massive Caligulas) and options for minimal makeup and whatnot.  Carried all that over to NV without problems.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: PRC on March 08, 2012, 04:56:44 PM
Do you guys play this in Hardcore mode?

Hardcore mode is FONV.  That was stolen from Fallout 3 Wanderer's Edition (FWE), which is excellent, and highly recommended.  Combat becomes very interesting in FWE, because weapons dole out much more realistic (though not, of course, truly realistic) damage.  Everyone isn't a bullet sink, and one-shot kills are entirely possible (against you, as well).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

I have some sort of mental block about returning to the strip in this game. much prefer the wasteland wandering. The only things I can't seem to conquer so far are the frakkin Boomers, and the deathclaws seem invincible.... I hate looking to walkthroughs, prefer to figure it out myself. But I've been on a break from gaming for a few weeks... maybe this weekend I'll try again, my current character (Lulu5) is almost 20th level. guns/lockpick/energy weapons, and she's got Rex the Dog, and Veronica in tow.
:p

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Faeelin

Wait, what the hell? That's absurd.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on March 15, 2012, 09:28:24 PM
Wait, what the hell? That's absurd.
Apparently linking payment to critical reviews is standard practice in the gaming industry.

Good thing for Michael Bay the movie industry doesn't work like that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Damn. :(  I liked Obsidian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I liked the ideas and characters in Obsidian games. KotOR2's characters were a lot more interesting than the ones in KotOR1 - unfortunately marred by rushed completion because they bit off more than they could chew within their deadlines. NWN2's characters were great fun, and even though the plot was kind of all over the place I really enjoyed it. I haven't played much FNV, unfortunately, but the consensus (and my feeling from what I have seen/played) is that it's a lot better than FO3.

In all I think they were always best when they took an existing property and expanded on it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2012, 11:52:53 PM
I liked the ideas and characters in Obsidian games. KotOR2's characters were a lot more interesting than the ones in KotOR1 - unfortunately marred by rushed completion because they bit off more than they could chew within their deadlines. NWN2's characters were great fun, and even though the plot was kind of all over the place I really enjoyed it. I haven't played much FNV, unfortunately, but the consensus (and my feeling from what I have seen/played) is that it's a lot better than FO3.

In all I think they were always best when they took an existing property and expanded on it.

I agree.  They bungled the mechanics of FONV (the game as released was pretty much unplayable), but the characters and stories were great.  The technical stuff got solved in two days; you can't fix bad characters and quests, though, and that is why FO3 wasn't as good, even patched and DLC'ed.

Hopefully, BethSoft involves them in a follow-up to FONV using the new engine.  That would play to the strengths of both companies.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

An interesting followup to the very interesting Requiem for the Capital Wasteland is now available on the Nexus:  The Best of Both Worlds. http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46319

I quite liked RftCW, though it was buggy and hard to install.  What that same team has done now is basically re-started with all their lessons learned and created a new conversion.  Massive download; something like 7.5 gigs. 

It works, though. I haven't started to convert over any of my favorite FO3 quest mods yet, but that's next.  It'll be interesting to see how PuceMoose's mods transfer.

A number of the top gameplay and building modders are deciding that the BoBW version is the one to support.  I expect we will be seeing a fair number of mods that will require it and will mod things in both world spaces.

Bayraktar!