News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout: New Vegas

Started by Barrister, September 01, 2011, 09:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Weird - I can't find any thread.  I guess it was during the time we lost.

Anyways - I was feeling bored with my current games, went to the downtown EB Games and saw this for $20.  I enjoyed FO3 a lot, always meant to get it, but never got around to it at the time.  So tht was an easy purchase. :)

Anything I should know in starting out?  I don't want spoilers, but if there are certain perks that are very necessary (vs hardly necessary at all), certain areas I should make certain to check out in a certain order - that kind of thing would be appreciated.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

I have found that the perks that improve criticals are worth getting, while ones like robotics expert are near-worthless.

I assume that this is a console version of the game, so will refrain from telling you about the outstanding mods to the game!  :lol:

The game will more or less push you in the direction you need to go; you won't be able to survive if you head north from Goodsprings, as everyone will gladly tell you.  Do the Goodsprings quests, then go south to Primm, and the quests there will give you the choice of going east to the prison or south again to Mohave Outpost, and from there things branch out.

I think you will like the game.  There is a nice overarching story that FO3 lacked, and people are aware of it.  As the game goes on, discussions about the legion and NCR will grow more dire and pessimistic, which is how it should be based on your actions.

Let us know how it goes.

This is easily my favorite game of the last coupla years.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2011, 09:40:07 AM
I assume that this is a console version of the game, so will refrain from telling you about the outstanding mods to the game!  :lol:

You know what they say about assuming things. :P

Of course it's the PC version.

That being said I prefer to playthrough the game au natural.  If I feel like a second playthrough (and while I enjoyed FO3 a lot, I never went back once I finished it), then I will it mod it to hell and back.

Now that being said if there are any mods that don't really change the game experience, but are either bug fixes or appearance fixes, I'll certainly listen.

11B4V

Download the patch/update.

My preferences off the top of the head are;
Skills: Guns, sneak, repair, lock pick, survival.

Perks; Friend of the night, Rad Child, educated, qiuck draw, silent running, sniper

Companion: Boon

Traits: Fast Shot

Weapons; Silenced Varmit Rifle with night scope, 10mm SMG w/ compensator, Gauss Rifle for deathclaws.

Stock up on antidotes.

I generally sneak when in hostile country, use cover and concealment.  I use the scoped rifle to scout the terrian ahead. I cant help myself. It drives the GF batted and she doesnt understand it. :D

I started with FO:NV and I just started a game in FO3 for the first time a few weeks ago. Fell into kind of the same pattern as above with slight differences.

Grumbler put it well.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Perks: Confirmed Bachelor. Recommended by the Chinaman community.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

I did No Gods, No Masters. With a very diplomatic lesbian maneater.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2011, 09:48:48 AM
"Of course"? Are you not a Mac 'tard?  What would be "of course" that you would get a PC version of a game that has no Mac version?

If you meant "of course I got the PC version because it is moddable like all BethSoft games and so only morons buy the console versions," then I accept the rebuke.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2011, 12:31:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2011, 09:48:48 AM
"Of course"? Are you not a Mac 'tard?  What would be "of course" that you would get a PC version of a game that has no Mac version?

If you meant "of course I got the PC version because it is moddable like all BethSoft games and so only morons buy the console versions," then I accept the rebuke.

Well on the one hand if you're paying attention you'll see me post in a half dozen different PC games threads, since by the miracle of BootCamp my Mac is a wonderful gamer PC.

But mostly the latter of course. :hug:

C.C.R.

Grumbler gave some awesome advice.  What I would mainly like to add is that don't be in too big of a hurry to to get to New Vegas proper & push the Main Quest along -- take your time & Smell The Roses.  The MQ is good, but the beauty of this game is all of the other stuff to see & do, all in a setting where (for me, at least) it's a lot easier to Suspend Disbelief than FO3.  I've been playing this game off & on for a year straight & I still haven't done everything that there is to see & do, and that's not even counting all of the ossum mods that there are out there (and the resources to mod the game yourself if you're so inclined)...

:ccr

grumbler

Quote from: C.C.R. on September 01, 2011, 01:34:05 PM
Grumbler gave some awesome advice.  What I would mainly like to add is that don't be in too big of a hurry to to get to New Vegas proper & push the Main Quest along -- take your time & Smell The Roses.  The MQ is good, but the beauty of this game is all of the other stuff to see & do, all in a setting where (for me, at least) it's a lot easier to Suspend Disbelief than FO3. 
Good point, and I entirely agree; the game isn't about the main quest unless you want it to be.  I didn't even get to New Vegas in my first playthrough, because by the time I got to that point I was "played out" with my first character.

And the tag skills you want to start with are guns, lockpick, and sneak.   Later on, you'll want to pick others, but those three are the ones you can use from the start.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 01, 2011, 11:34:10 AM
I never did finish the game. :weep:

Nor did I.  I plan to get back to it someday.  I think I'll wait till all the DL content is out though.  I imagine they'll make five of them like they did with FO3.  I did find it a massive improvement over FO3, though.  And I liked FO3.

Unfortuantly, I just can't get into PC games anymore.  I'm all listless and anhedonic.  Stupid mental illness.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2011, 02:04:03 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 01, 2011, 11:34:10 AM
I never did finish the game. :weep:

Nor did I.  I plan to get back to it someday.  I think I'll wait till all the DL content is out though.  I imagine they'll make five of them like they did with FO3.  I did find it a massive improvement over FO3, though.  And I liked FO3.

Unfortuantly, I just can't get into PC games anymore.  I'm all listless and anhedonic.  Stupid mental illness.

Might just be that you've played enough to start getting bored. I never thought I'd come to this point, but I can't get enthusiastic about titles these days that I would be raving about a few years ago.

Lately, games like Fallout and World of Tanks do catch my eye enough to play them but there's a whole host of titles that I would theoretically like to play but simply can't summon the energy for.

I'm going to to a Fallout 3/NV marathon whenever the DL content for NV is done and I get a new computer, but at the rate these two events are paced, the next Fallout title will probably be out by then.

It feels a bit like the gaming industry is in a rut. There's nothing really new coming out.

Razgovory

Could be.  But I can't get much enjoyment out of anything these day.  It really sucks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2011, 03:08:55 PM
Could be.  But I can't get much enjoyment out of anything these day.  It really sucks.

You're in a rut.

You need to get out of your basement and experience new things.

Take a walk down the street and try not to wig out.