News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout: New Vegas

Started by Barrister, September 01, 2011, 09:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2011, 03:08:55 PM
Could be.  But I can't get much enjoyment out of anything these day.  It really sucks.
Go back and play some Arcanum.  The interface isn't brilliant, but the game is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I`ve been contemplating getting this soonish- though really think I should play FO3 a bit more first and do some more side quests. Never did the Pitt for instance. Or the other add on, with the big robot.
So...what mods should be gotten with it?
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2011, 08:51:19 PMthough really think I should play FO3 a bit more first and do some more side quests.

with how short life can be, why bother wading in shit when you can play something far superior? :P

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2011, 04:36:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2011, 03:08:55 PM
Could be.  But I can't get much enjoyment out of anything these day.  It really sucks.
Go back and play some Arcanum.  The interface isn't brilliant, but the game is.

I did play through that one.  I liked it, but didn't think it was brilliant.  I didn't care for the character system, or how real time combat was shoehorned into it.  There were a few other minor problems like the NPCs not really doing much, the graphics being ugly, and the music dull.  The biggest problem I felt was that setting was unrealized.  You are supposed to be in a 19th century sort of era but most enemies run around in armor and carry swords, and doing so makes more sense then carrying a gun.  Still, despite it's faults it was a fun game, and sadly one of the last of a dying breed.  There just aren't many RPGs like that anymore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

arcanum had one of the best, most epic unimportant sidequests of any rpg i've ever played. that it never saw true resolution made it even better. those wacky jews gnomes

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on September 01, 2011, 10:14:45 PM
arcanum had one of the best, most epic unimportant sidequests of any rpg i've ever played. that it never saw true resolution made it even better. those wacky jews gnomes

Yeah, that turned out to be a shaggy dog story, which kind of irked me.  I think I shot the gnome in the end, but that didn't do anything.  I guess the programers didn't envision that a player doesn't like the joke played on him and will react with a pistol.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2011, 01:57:57 AM
Yeah, that turned out to be a shaggy dog story, which kind of irked me.  I think I shot the gnome in the end, but that didn't do anything.  I guess the programers didn't envision that a player doesn't like the joke played on him and will react with a pistol.
On the contrary - the programmers would have laughed their asses off at your reaction.

That quest was straight out of X-files.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on September 02, 2011, 11:01:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2011, 01:57:57 AM
On the contrary - the programmers would have laughed their asses off at your reaction.

That quest was straight out of X-files.

Yeah, I know.  A long convoluted joke, with a pop culture reference at the end.  Meh.

LaCroix

the whole setting was brilliant, enough to overcome the iffy mechanics and overpowered magic :yes:

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on September 02, 2011, 01:34:37 PM
the whole setting was brilliant, enough to overcome the iffy mechanics and overpowered magic :yes:
It is a fun game to play, even for a bit.  I go back to it when I am jaded with current offerings, in part because there was simply so much game there that I have never played out all the side quests and optional conversations and whatnot.

For instance, it's worth a play-through with a stupid character simply because, when you play as Marti, you get completely different reactions from a lot of the NPCs.

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I liked Fallout: NV but have not finished it.  I'm waiting for them to bundle the expansions into one package, and then I plan to buy that and start over.  Part of the reason I want to start over is because I accidentally picked the 'Confirmed Bachelor' perk so in my current playthrough dudes constantly hit on me. :yuk:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 03, 2011, 11:43:20 AM
I liked Fallout: NV but have not finished it.  I'm waiting for them to bundle the expansions into one package, and then I plan to buy that and start over.  Part of the reason I want to start over is because I accidentally picked the 'Confirmed Bachelor' perk so in my current playthrough dudes constantly hit on me. :yuk:

Fag on the play, homophobe. 10 yards of taffeta. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on September 03, 2011, 11:43:20 AM

There's nothing wrong with being fabulous once in a while.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2011, 05:10:18 PM
Fag on the play, homophobe. 10 yards of taffeta. <_<
I was trying to get Mart riled up. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Okay, I can't figure out how to repair weapons in this game.  Is different than FO3.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.